Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Santa Fe: Madrid rental, house for sale, commute, painters, artist career.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:11 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,031,434 times

Advertisements

Paved vs. paved seems to be a topic of much discussion and disagreement in Santa Fe.

Our road in Eldorado is unpaved ... and it gives it such a much more quaint look that I hope they never decide to pave it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 PM

946 posts, read 3,267,133 times
Default Dirt or paved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Paved vs. paved seems to be a topic of much discussion and disagreement in Santa Fe.

Our road in Eldorado is unpaved ... and it gives it such a much more quaint look that I hope they never decide to pave it!

A question of taste. Unpaved is quaint and prestigious in Santa Fe. Movie stars live on dirt roads.

I think it is dust or mud depending upon the weather. Ordinary me lives on a paved road.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,087,584 times
Vertigo7 advised:

> ... best thing to do would be to rent, to see if you like it in a certain place.

Many many people say this -- because it's true.

To paraphrase: [If you have to ask, you can't afford to buy right away. ]

A corrolary: [If you are unsure, you need to visit first.]

ObTowanda: [You're not in Kansas any more.]

Old 05-20-2009, 04:06 PM

17 posts, read 91,641 times
Default My Questions about Santa Fe:

My wife and myself are thinking about Sante Fe to purchase a home. Main reason is my wife is very chemically sensative to the dirty air and chemicals in the North East. We both owned our own businesses, sold them over the past 5 years, and are both currently retired.

I did a preliminary search and was not able to get our questions answered fully. Here are our questions;

1. Smoke: She is very sensative to cigarette & cigar smoke. What are the laws about smoking in public places.

2. Roads: We have a small sports car and I ride motorcycles; what are the condition of the roads; Are they all dirt roads? Do the gated communities have paved roads? What type of communities have dirt roads.

3. Motorcycle and Sports car: Its not fun riding my bike and or her sports car on dirt roads. Are there fun roads to ride on; meaning a lots of curved roads that would challge me on the bike and her in the sports car?
She rides the car and follows me on the bike. Are their fun places we would ride to that are 1-2 hrs away from Santa Fe?

4. Restaurants: We love to take lunch rides or just short trips to restaurants for lunch. Eat dinners mostly home. We love very casual places, but where the food is excellent. Here on the east coast our average lunch bill costs about $25-$30 with Tip incl We do not drink and don't eat deserts.

5. Golf: I'm an avid golfer; play about 50 rounds a year in Summer time. looking for either info on types of private or public courses available. I can probably research this on my own better but any comments from golfers would be appreciated.

6. Airports: Time to drive to major airports.

7. Growing own Food: My wife loves to garden and wants to start growing her own fruits and vegatables; Is this possible in the dry weather.

8. Gyms; She likes to work out in a gym; What kind of gyms are available?

I thank all of you that respond in advance,

The Seniorman

Last edited by Seniorman; 05-20-2009 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: forgot to thank people for responses

Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
I have lived in Rio Rancho about 60 miles south of Santa Fe for 10 years.

I am a former smoker and most public places in Santa Fe and Albuquerque prohibit smoking in the buildings. Some public outdoor areas also prohibit smoking but I don't really know the letter of the law.

I road a motorcycle for about five years here. Santa Fe is near a lot of mountains with plenty of paved roads. You would be near a lot of national forrests, parks and monuments.

Gated and private communities with paved roads? I can't comment. The few I have seen have had paved roads, but I can not speak for all gated communties.

There are plenty of paved roads in New Mexico to keep you busy. I do not have a 4wd vehicle.

The nearest major airport is the Albuquerque International Sunport which is about 65 to 70 miles from Santa Fe, so maybe 1 hour 30 minutes of so.

The Santa Fe Municipal Airport has very little commercial traffic.

I enjoy the food here in New Mexico and Santa Fe plenty of nice places to eat, but my standards may be different than yours.

I am not involved in golf except that I find golf balls in the desert on my walks and wonder where they came from... Enter the word Gold in the search box. I know we have golf courses all over, but I don't play the game.

A lot of people grow their own gardens. I do not....

You really need to fly out for a few days. And then someone will say, Welcome To New Mexico!

Rich

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM

17 posts, read 91,641 times
thanks Rich, its appreciated. I hope more can take the time to reply.
Seniorman (from Ct.)

Old 05-21-2009, 06:52 AM

293 posts, read 971,735 times
As Poncho_NM said, smoking is prohibited indoors. I haven't noticed much smoking in parks or on sidewalks.

Many neighborhood streets are dirt, but not all, so you'd just need to find a neighborhood with paved streets. I don't know of many gated communities (they're much less prevalent here than in other parts of the country) so can't comment on the paved versus unpaved in a gated community. There are tons of twisty windy roads nearby with spectacular views of the mountains and countryside. If you like northern New Mexican food, there are plenty of casual, inexpensive places with great cooking. New Mexico is less densely populated than most parts of the NE, so you probably won't have as many restaurants to choose from outside of the city of Santa Fe, but there are good choices in all directions.

Albuquerque airport is between one hour and 1.5 hours, depending on where you live in Santa Fe. As for gyms, there's the public Chavez Center, which is a very nice facility with olympic pool, basketball courts, track, weights, machines, classes, etc. in the south part of town; El Gancho is a private club on the east side with tennis, pool, classes. It's not as nice as Chavez and three times as expensive; multiple small gyms located throughout the area; and several other city owned recreation/gym facilities. There are also tons of yoga studios.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Seniorman; if you haven't seen it yet, there is a large fact page here with a lot of info: https://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-Fe-New-Mexico.html

Rich

Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 PM

424 posts, read 953,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
My wife and myself are thinking about Sante Fe to purchase a home. Main reason is my wife is very chemically sensative to the dirty air and chemicals in the North East. We both owned our own businesses, sold them over the past 5 years, and are both currently retired.

I did a preliminary search and was not able to get our questions answered fully. Here are our questions;

1. Smoke: She is very sensative to cigarette & cigar smoke. What are the laws about smoking in public places.

2. Roads: We have a small sports car and I ride motorcycles; what are the condition of the roads; Are they all dirt roads? Do the gated communities have paved roads? What type of communities have dirt roads.

3. Motorcycle and Sports car: Its not fun riding my bike and or her sports car on dirt roads. Are there fun roads to ride on; meaning a lots of curved roads that would challge me on the bike and her in the sports car?
She rides the car and follows me on the bike. Are their fun places we would ride to that are 1-2 hrs away from Santa Fe?

4. Restaurants: We love to take lunch rides or just short trips to restaurants for lunch. Eat dinners mostly home. We love very casual places, but where the food is excellent. Here on the east coast our average lunch bill costs about $25-$30 with Tip incl We do not drink and don't eat deserts.

5. Golf: I'm an avid golfer; play about 50 rounds a year in Summer time. looking for either info on types of private or public courses available. I can probably research this on my own better but any comments from golfers would be appreciated.

6. Airports: Time to drive to major airports.

7. Growing own Food: My wife loves to garden and wants to start growing her own fruits and vegatables; Is this possible in the dry weather.

8. Gyms; She likes to work out in a gym; What kind of gyms are available?

I thank all of you that respond in advance,

The Seniorman
I live in Santa Fe and love it.

1.Smoke in restaurants- no way; smoke outside.

2. Sports car- I own a Ferrari and the roads around the plaza are not the best, but going up to the ski basin is a dream. Las Campanas is gated and ALL the roads are paved. I believe some other gated communites can either be paved or gravel roads.

3. Lots of great places to ride your car or motorcycle.

4. Santa Fe restaurants can be pricey but our restaurants serve very high quality meals.

5. I live in a golf course community (Las Campanas) but I don't play golf. Las Campanas is a private course and is designed by Jack Nickalus. The golf course here is beautiful and well maintained. Other golf courses in Santa Fe are also fine.

6. From my house it takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to the Abq. airport.

7. Yep many people have thier own gardens to grow food. We have a short summer here so you have to remember that.

8. Las Campanas also has a great gym if you are a member here. I love it, real high quality work out facilities. There are a few public gyms in town that are also great.

Santa Fe is a great place to live. I love it.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 PM

7 posts, read 17,344 times
Everyone has given great advice about Santa Fe. I also love it here although I'm sure I don't have the resources you might have when considering a move here. I say this to point out that Santa Fe is easily accesable and reasonable place to live.

1. Smoking is prohibited everywhere inside. I think you have to be on the street at least 50 ft from an entrance. I have been downtown and seen people be asked to move away from the entrance if they were smoking.

2. There are a few gated communities here, Las Campanas being the most well known. It is very exspensive and going through alot of changes right now. Seems like a great place to live although a little far out. Private club and golf course. The cream of the crop for SFE. Great prices right now if you're looking for properties from the 700's to over a million. There are some real bargains there at that pricepoint. Golf requires a membership and green fees average around $250.00.
Quail Run is closer in and a little older and less exspenive.
Unlike the east coast there can be a million dollar property right next to a mobile home. There are many wonderful homes available here now. Good buys also depending on your pricepoint. There are many golf courses around the city. The public course on Airport Rd and Marty Sanchez are nice but theres also Buffalo Thunder and many others. Road are mostly paved around the city although some communities have gravel and like it that way since it slows down traffic and keeps the Charm of the comminity.

3. You will be fine with both a sportscar and motorcyle here. I would suggest a more substantial vehicle for the winter when it snows. Unlike CT, SFE does not have the plows to keep all the roads clean during snow and ice. I want a motorcycle because there are so many wonderful and scenic drives around the area. Hwy 14 to Abq, Ski basin, drive to Jemez, high road to Taos, Pecos wilderness, plus many more.

4.There are many great restraunts at the price point you suggested. Some are more but you will find local hangouts that are good. My favorites although you might have different taste. Harrys Roadhouse, The Pantry, Horsemans Haven, Guadalupe Cafe,Los Potrillos. Most are not fancy but local and good. There are to many more to mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe