Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 PM

17 posts, read 22,516 times

Advertisements

We are seriously looking at relocating to Santa Fe from Texas, and are needing advice on neighborhoods. My husband is legally blind and does not drive, however I’ll still be working in Texas about 10 days a month so he’ll be single parenting for a week and a half every month. He wants to live within biking distance to mountain biking trails (yes, he mountain bikes. most people’s vision is worse that his, but his is not correctable with glasses) so that he doesn’t need to rely on anyone for a ride. I worry about his access to groceries/restaurants while i’m gone every month, but i’d really love a mountain view. Any neighborhoods that are close to trails and close to shopping? If not, what are the best neighborhoods with quick access to trails? Any neighborhoods that have shops/neighborhood amenities in them? We are open to buying or building and would like to stay under $1 million for budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:33 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Santa Fe is different from other cities, in that there really aren't any neighborhood grocery stores. The only exception is in one of the most expensive parts of town. Grocery stores are more or less clustered in mall-type developments in the north end of town, the south end, and mid-town, plus Whole Foods, which is past the outer edge of downtown.

Have you looked at RE values around town, to figure out what you can afford? That would be the first step. hmm... There's a food co-op on West Alameda Ave., on the west side of town. Off of there, following Alameda southward, there are neighborhoods that are relatively more affordable. He could bike to the store. There are a few pockets around there, where a store trip would be walkable. I'm not sure what you mean by "mountain views"--do you mean views OF the mountains? That shouldn't be too hard to find, and would be available in the same westside areas I'm talking about.

hmmm.... There's a section of town that's near Trader Joe's, in a little complex with a small drugstore (Pharmaca Pharmacy) and a coffee shop. It's called the South Capitol area. Nice quiet low-traffic neighborhood that's flat and walkable. Pricier than the West Alameda area, but a pretty part of town, quiet side-streets. There's a city-run gym and pool in the area, as well.

That's all I've got, off the top of my head. Have you looked at neighborhoods, driven around town at all? I don't know that you can get both proximity to stores, AND proximity to trails, unless you can afford to be in the Eastside historic district, which is one of the 2 most expensive parts of town. Eminently walkable, though. Shopping districts by definition are away from hiking trails.

There's a middle-income neighborhood off of Osage Avenue, that's within walking distance of a supermarket/outdoor mall complex on one side, and has parks and walking trails across the road on the other side.

At least now you have a few areas to ask RE agents about. Are you concerned about school quality, at all?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-27-2018 at 12:43 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. We are hoping to stay under $1 million if possible and yes, we have driven around. We really liked the houses that are to the east of the plaza and on the way up to the ski area, and it looks like there are plenty of lots for sale as well, but I wasnt sure if there were many trails up that way. We hiked/bikes the la tierra trail that is west of the plaza, and the la estrella neighborhood was also nice. We drove out to las campanas but it feels too far, and the club charges almost $700/month to join for access to their restaurants and pool, which seemed incredibly overpriced, especially since we don’t even golf. Are there any grocery delivery services you know of? Amazon’s grocery service apparently doesn’t operate in Santa fe, even though there is a whole foods ☹️

As far as schools, we have kids under 4 currently, but were planning on private schools. Atalaya seems like a very good school from what I have read. Do you have any recs? We are going to end up needing to either hire someone to drive kids to school when i’m gone, or make friends who live close and attend the same school so our kids can carpool. That’s another reason I’d like to be in a neighborhood per se, rather than secluded on 2 acres like the husband imagines. South Capitol sounds promising for sure. Thanks again for your reply!

Old 03-27-2018, 05:30 PM

Any information on the neighborhoods of Casa Solana, Sierra del Norte, and Santa Fe Summit?

Old 03-27-2018, 06:29 PM

Casa Solana is one area that I had in mind for you. Centrally-located, but with affordable homes, quiet, and within walking distance of the food co-op. Sierra del Norte is too isolated. Not walkable. It's also not a family-oriented neighborhood. It's full of vacation homes for out-of-towners, and wealthy empty-nesters and retirees. Same with Santa Fe Summit.

East of the Plaza is the historic district. It's a beautiful neighborhood, but pricey. See if you can find something in your price range, that you like, though. The little neighborhood grocer that's there, Kaune's, is a convenient walk from most parts of that neighborhood, and they deliver. They're the only store I know of that has a delivery service. It's also one of the most expensive grocery stores in town. So is the food co-op, but the co-op has fabulous produce!

Private schools are a good idea. I would go with that, though the grade school on the east side, in that neighborhood you liked, is good. If you end up moving there, you could send the kids to public school for the early grades, then switch to private.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:19 PM

thank you so much, this has been incredibly helpful!! Casa Solana was our favorite area, but we will also look at the historic district. We may be priced out of that neighborhood but i’ll keep my eyes open!

Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amachine View Post
thank you so much, this has been incredibly helpful!! Casa Solana was our favorite area, but we will also look at the historic district. We may be priced out of that neighborhood but i’ll keep my eyes open!
The historic district is my favorite part of town! I drive over there, just to take my walks. . What you'll find, is that you'll get much less house for your buck, there. You'll be able to get more square footage in Casa Solana, and will come in well under your max. budget. But if you don't mind spending the money, and don't mind a smaller place to get a wonderfully charming neighborhood, go for it, I guess. There's the added benefit of having a good public grade school within walking distance. Your kids could walk to school, depending on your location.

Now, if you want a view, you can go up the hill, in the historic district. But that will put you beyond easy walking distance of the grocery store and the school. I think your mountain views will have to be relegated to last priority. There's also a popular coffee shop/magazine stand in the neighborhood, and a bookstore that hosts author events.

I think you should look in both neighborhoods. Then, if you fall in love with a specific house, just take that, which ever location it's in.

By the way, there are walking trails at the end of Canyon Road, adjacent to the historic district, but if you park a car there, it may get vandalized. That's a chronic issue over there. I don't know about the other hiking trails around town.

Oh, and here's another interesting note. IDK what your husband's vision issue is about, but there's an MD in town, who has worked out an acupuncture protocol to restore peoples eyesight, if the vision loss is due to certain eye diseases, like macular degeneration. An elderly friend of mine was his eager guinea pig, and she went from only discerning blurry blobs, to being able to go to the movies! She could read a newspaper, with some effort, at the end of her treatment! People fly in from around the US to get a series of treatments. If you want to know more, you can message me. His eye treatments aren't covered by insurance, though, I don't think.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-27-2018 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 07:48 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,165,699 times
Grocery deliver service in Santa Fe.... I believe Kaune's delivers, and Instacart just started up in town, serving Sprouts, Albertsons, CVS, and Natural Grocers.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:15 PM

very interesting about the acupuncture. His eye disorder is a congenital autosomal recessive disease called Stargart’s, but it does cause premature macular degeneration. It can’t hurt to try. So excited that instacart is in santa fe. That solves my biggest concern! Thanks for the info!

Old 03-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,152 times
OP, I can drive but sometimes have flare ups of health issues that prevent it, so I use lyft and uber if I need to run errands, etc.
both are available in Santa Fe. (I am in ABQ)
Sometimes I also use instacart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe