Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

Hi, looking for some helpful advice please. Santa Fe is on my short list for possible relocation.
I'm divorced, mid 50s and lower to middle income, working. I'd want to rent an apartment, but I'm not sure which are the safer areas. Apts can be a crap shoot, can anyone give some suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 07:09 PM

102,271 posts, read 108,310,604 times
The best way to go about this, would be to upload a map, with circles around neighborhoods to avoid. Maybe someone will post, who can offer that. Before we start, I'd like to ask: have you taken a look at Craigslist rentals, to get an idea of what the range is, in Santa Fe? That would be a good place to start.

There are some good apartments in the north end of the city. That's a good area, especially small buildings and complexes on Washington Ave/Bishop's Lodge Road. (El Matador, for example, if you can afford it.) You can have some luck on the East Side, too, which is generally considered expensive (the historic district), but may have affordable 1-br. apts. open up. There's a complex in the middle of town, on 2nd avenue/San Mateo St., called the San Mateo apartments. It's on the corner of St. Francis Drive and San Mateo or 2nd Street. (Streets in Santa Fe tend to change names along their length. Don't let this confuse you.). Pacheco St. in that same area is ok, especially the farther north you go. Farther west along 2nd Ave. toward Cerrillos is to be avoided. There's a relatively new apt. and office complex on the east side of St. Francis, off of San Mateo, as well. That's also a good area. Anything east of St. Francis pretty much is a good area.

Avoid Airport Road, off the SW end of town. There's a nice building in that area, though, on Meadows Road. Avoid areas bordering Cerrillos Road, except where it gets close to downtown. The area along east Alameda St. (near downtown) is best avoided.

You can also keep an eye out for affordable casitas. A casita usually is a 1-br. cottage (sometimes 2 br.) that may be a rental unit sharing a property with a private home, or it could be independent, with its own address.

Be sure to check that there's A/C (refrigerated air) , or at least, a swamp cooler (evaporative air). Conventional A/C will be the most comfortable.

You can check addresses or listings with us, for feedback.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-12-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 05:52 PM

974 posts, read 2,348,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan53 View Post
Hi, looking for some helpful advice please. Santa Fe is on my short list for possible relocation.
I'm divorced, mid 50s and lower to middle income, working. I'd want to rent an apartment, but I'm not sure which are the safer areas. Apts can be a crap shoot, can anyone give some suggestions please.
The rental market in Santa Fe is extremely tight, with a vacancy rate of around 3% - which means virtually 100% occupancy. The least expensive apartment rentals would be south along or just off of Cerrillos Road, and southwest along Airport Road. Some say these are not the "safest" areas. Next would be along the St. Francis corridor where you might be able to find something nice for $900/mo and up.

Another option for you would be to look for guest houses on private properties that people rent out to help them with their mortgage payments. For these, look on Craigslist (make sure the offers are legitimate before paying a penny - this is very important), and in the classifieds of the Santa Fe New Mexican, our daily newspaper.

I wish you well.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:44 AM

15 posts, read 13,813 times
does that mean that the Santa fe river park area up to the Patrick Smith park is not safe ?

Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM

974 posts, read 2,348,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdouble View Post
does that mean that the Santa fe river park area up to the Patrick Smith park is not safe ?
No, that is not what that means. The area you are referring to is in the historic east side which is considered
highly desirable. For an indication of how "safe" a particular area is, I always recommend people go to the CrimeReports.com website and see for themselves what kinds of crime are being reported in various cities and neighborhoods in those cities. They can then compare those figures with similar ones from the area they are currently living in to use as a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: