Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 AM

33 posts, read 33,910 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm coming to New Mexico in a couple weeks from Florida to see scenery that I have never seen before in person! I would like to get the best bang for my back as far as beautiful natural landscapes (as different from the flat lands of Florida as possible) that are en route to the few destinations I have planned. I arrive at Albuquerque airport in the evening and was planning to just go to Santa Fe from there for an overnight hotel stay so as to not have to drive more than an hour or so after a long day of traveling. From there, my husband and I are planning to wake up early and drive to Abiquiu because he wants to see the mosque there -- So here's my question: What is the best route / best stops to make from Santa Fe to Abiquiu to see some epic red rock scenery (I want that 'I feel like I'm on another planet' feeling, or as close as I can get to it at least!). The taller the red rocks the better. I saw Echo Amphitheater and was considering it but was kind of turned off by the fact that there is a paved sidewalk/bathrooms etc... I'm really wanting to get away from the man made stuff and more into the awe-inspiring natural world. We can't go TOO far off course as Abiquiu is meant to be just a pit stop on our way to Taos on the same day (we are seeing a concert in Taos at 6:00pm). So if there are any cool places en route from Abiquiu to Taos then please mention those too! Personally, I have never been to ANY of these places - Santa Fe, Abiqui, or Taos so I have no idea if these cities themselves have truly great natural scenery (obviously we are hoping to see more RED rocks than anything). Perhaps we can plan another trip in the future where we can explore more, but for this one that is it. We go straight back to the ABQ airport from Taos the very next day after the concert (just a short 3 day trip in total) so we are trying to jam pack as many cool (natural/not man made) things to see as we can while there that we can semi-conveniently fit in with our destinations! Thank you so much for everyone's suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,406 times
Tent Rocks, if you have the time, but not exactly on your way. Not red rocks, but light tan, almost white. https://www.blm.gov/visit/kktr

In Abiquiu, check out the Ghost Ranch. Very interesting colorful land formations. You made need to go on a tour to see the best ones.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
We have driven from Albuquerque to Abiquiu Lake several times over the years. There is a lot to see.

I have about 200 pictures taken during some our trips. You can see them here pretty quickly: Abiquiu Pictures

If you plan on traveling from Santa Fe to Albuquerque or visa versa during the day, you might take the route through Madrid:
Visit Madrid New Mexico
Legends of America

Old 08-01-2018, 06:11 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
North out of Santa Fe bear left at Espanola and then head to Abiquiu. Ghost ranch is further north and the Chama River is pretty. Stop at Echo amptheater and then go on to Tierra Amarillo ( you can stay the night in Chama if you need to). The road east from Tierra Amarillo crosses scenic mountains to Tres Piedras and then goes on across the Rio Grande gorge to Taos. You might want to check out the artisans in Tierra Amarillo.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:19 PM

Hi, i looked through your flickr photos, thank you! I only saw a few photos of red rocks but no indication of where they were located -- could you tell me?

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Just to clarify here guys, we are wanting to see rocks that are RED. That is literally all we want to see. Not cute towns, not touristy stuff, not kinda cool other natural things... just red rocks. Thanks so much

Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNoor View Post
Just to clarify here guys, we are wanting to see rocks that are RED.
There are some impressive red rock walls on Hwy 4 on the Jemez Pueblo heading toward Jemez Springs and maybe some going off toward the Gilman tunnels. There’s a lot of color at Ghost Ranch but I’ve not seen that much red.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNoor View Post
Hi, i looked through your flickr photos, thank you! I only saw a few photos of red rocks but no indication of where they were located -- could you tell me?

Thanks!
Most of those pictures were taken in the "Abiquiu Cuba Espanola" area. If you click on a picture it will open and there may be a description below the picture.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-02-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There are some impressive red rock walls on Hwy 4 on the Jemez Pueblo heading toward Jemez Springs and maybe some going off toward the Gilman tunnels. There’s a lot of color at Ghost Ranch but I’ve not seen that much red.
Is Hwy 4 the same as "Jemez Trail National Scenic Byway" or is that something else? I could cancel our hotel at Santa Fe. Where is the best place to look for lodging then around Jemez Pueblo? We will be coming from ABQ airport and looking to rest for the night before embarking on highway 4 the next day towards Abiquiu...

Old 08-02-2018, 01:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,172 times
Ghost Ranch is a great suggestion, possibly the best one in the Abiquiu area for what you seem to be looking for. There are hiking trails up onto the canyon walls that the folks at the visitor center can direct you to. The Echo Amphitheater is another place that might be up your alley in the same neck of the woods. Both are a little ways north of Abiquiu along the same highway.

If it's red rocks, red rocks and nothing but red rocks you're after, the Jemez Pueblo drive, which is a little out of the way but could be part of a drive from Albuquerque to Santa Fe or Abiquiu if you went via Los Alamos, might be the best place for you. The Pueblo's Walatowa Visitor Center is located in a red rock canyon just north of the Pueblo itself and has picnic areas, food vendors from the Pueblo, and lots of parking. Even if you're not interested in eating local food or checking out local culture and history, it's probably the best and most easily accessible place to get right out into red rock country. There's even a hiking trail you can take, although since it's on Pueblo land you'll have to pay a fee and photography is prohibited without a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe