Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 01:32 PM

41 posts, read 39,027 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are considering purchasing a home in Rancho Viejo. Does anyone know if aluminum wiring has been used in any older (2004) RV homes? I understand that aluminum wiring in general was phased out in the 1970s but have been told that it may have been used in some of the older RV homes. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 01:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1717 View Post
Hi, my husband and I are considering purchasing a home in Rancho Viejo. Does anyone know if aluminum wiring has been used in any older (2004) RV homes? I understand that aluminum wiring in general was phased out in the 1970s but have been told that it may have been used in some of the older RV homes. Any help would be appreciated.
Look in the panel

Carefully remove the cover of the main service panel, and take a look at the wiring. Looking at the neutral/ground bus bars, is probably the quickest and easiest way to tell.

Look at this page, which has pictures: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...nium-or-copper

That is the easiest and fastest way...

Old 09-01-2018, 03:19 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,939 times
I've sold several homes there and none had aluminum wiring. I assume you'll be working with a Realtor; if so, then you'll get a copy of the seller's property disclosure which has a section that has the seller respond (Item D.6) as to whether there is aluminum wiring. Also, when you have your property inspected, that will be one of the things your inspector will check out. With these safeguards I don't think you need to worry.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:45 PM

673 posts, read 466,217 times
You are smart to look for aluminum wiring, it's dangerous. Also water pipes in slabs. I just did a conversion in a place that had the copper pipes in the slab from 1974. Had the plumber go over head in the attic with new thick wall copper straight pipe. No, I don't use plastic or poly water pipe. I always use copper as I don't care what the claims are for non copper pipe.

I know my stuff.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post

as I don't care what the claims are

I know my stuff.

Why is plastic pipe better than copper or is copper the better option?
https://www.emergencyplumber.uk.com/...c-pipe-copper/

Quote:
Just below Martin Smith an experienced emergency plumber explains why plastic pipes are better than copper piping. Here are some questions and the answers to follow.
Plastic Pipe Copper

How long does plastic pipe last for compared to copper?
How much quicker is it to fit plastic pipe than it is to fit copper piping?
Which is more expensive, copper pipe or plastic?
Is plastic pipe more likely to leak that copper?
Can the plastic pipe survive the cold weather better than copper?
Can copper take more heat than plastic pipe?
Can plastic take more water pressure than copper?
Are there any restrictions to fitting copper pipe?
Is fitting plastic pipe a better alternative to copper?
What is the best plastic pipe I can buy?

Should I Install PEX or Copper Piping?
https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...per-piping.htm

Quote:
When it comes to PEX plumbing vs. copper pipes, each has advantages and detractors.

If you’re planning to build a home, want to re-pipe your existing plumbing lines or just need to replace a section of damaged pipe, you have multiple options. No longer is copper piping the primary, or preferred, choice of most homeowners and plumbers.

Cross-linked polyethylene flexible tubing — commonly called PEX — has grown in popularity for residential plumbing over the past decade as an alternative to traditional copper and chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC) piping.

Piping for New Construction – Plastic vs. Copper
by healthybuilding / Friday, 30 October 2015 / Published in Green Building Consulting
https://healthybuildingscience.com/2...tic-vs-copper/

Quote:
Plastic vs. copper
Piping for New Construction: Plastic vs. Copper
What Do We Know – What Should We Do?

Water, it has been revered since the beginning of time. It sustains and nourishes us; we couldn’t live more than three days without it. Fortunately in the Western World it is readily available. It is so seamlessly intertwined with our daily lives that we rarely think about the system that delivers it to us. However, the more we know about our water system the more empowered we are to make sure we are getting the highest quality water possible. Which type of piping is better: plastic vs. copper .

This blog post will focus on information researchers have discovered that highlight the safety issues surrounding different types of potable water piping material, namely HDPE, PEX, PVC, and Copper Piping. Weighing the risks, it will pose the question of which piping material should be used for new construction and renovation projects.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
You are smart to look for aluminum wiring, it's dangerous. Also water pipes in slabs. I just did a conversion in a place that had the copper pipes in the slab from 1974. Had the plumber go over head in the attic with new thick wall copper straight pipe. No, I don't use plastic or poly water pipe. I always use copper as I don't care what the claims are for non copper pipe.

I know my stuff.
I know my stuff too; 30 years in electrical wire and cable sales.

Aluminum wire is a good conductor of electricity and more economical than copper. There is nothing dangerous about it. But if it is connected to receptacles, conductors, switches, etc. not intended for use with aluminum wiring, the threat of a hazard is possible.

Boxes, receptacles, switches, connectors must be dual rated for use with either copper or aluminum conductors (labeled AL/CU or CO/ALR). Rather than being afraid of aluminum wire and replacing it just check to make sure all the boxes etc are dual rated and if they aren't just replace the fittings instead of all the wiring in the building. The original electrical installation would have had to be inspected by local authorities before the house could be sold. You can access their report at City Hall records.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:41 PM

673 posts, read 466,217 times
So, experts. I guess the dozens of articles about aluminum house wiring being dangerous is wrong.........right????

What newly constructed houses are being built with aluminum wiring today? I'm curious

Old 09-23-2018, 03:52 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,939 times
Quote:
So, experts. I guess the dozens of articles about aluminum house wiring being dangerous is wrong.........right????

What newly constructed houses are being built with aluminum wiring today? I'm curious
I've run into a very few homes built as late as the '70s that had aluminum wiring, but none built after that.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
No, you did not listen to the "experts"... You probably did not properly read "the dozens of articles about aluminum house wiring"....

Old 09-23-2018, 04:45 PM

For those who can read:

From: https://www.carsondunlop.com/trainin...ring-part-one/

Quote:
Dispelling the Myths
Aluminum wiring example

We hear regularly that aluminum wiring has been recalled and that it is no longer approved or permitted in homes—neither of these is true. Aluminum wiring is permitted with the appropriate installation methods and materials.

Electrical wiring in homes has traditionally been copper since the introduction of electricity in homes in the late 19th century. Aluminum wiring was introduced to homes in North America in the mid-1960s. The price of copper was very high, and aluminum was a cost-effective alternative.

Quote:
Is Aluminum Wiring Bad?

During the 1970's, aluminum (instead of copper) wiring became quite popular and was extensively used. Since that time, aluminum wiring has been implicated in a number of house fires, and most jurisdictions no longer permit it in new installations. It's recommended, even if you're allowed to, that do not use it for new wiring.

But don't panic if your house has aluminum wiring. Aluminum wiring, when properly installed, can be just as safe as copper. Aluminum wiring is, however, very unforgiving of improper installation. We will cover a bit of the theory behind potential problems, and what you can do to make your wiring safe.

And: Aluminum building wiring

If you are afraid of Aluminum Wiring, perhaps having it ripped out and replaced with copper may make you happier...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-23-2018 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: