Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM

15 posts, read 13,801 times

Advertisements

Dear all,
First of all, i would like to thank you in advance for your help.
We are considering moving to Santa Fe next year, my wife, myself and our daughter. She is 9.
I'm currently seeking advice to narrow a bit my quest for the most appropriate neighborhood.
We are after either a house or a condo. We do live in a (rather) big city, we are not so much used to the rural life.
Our budget for a house is 500-700k.
As for most families, safety is a major concern and proximity of good schools for our daughter..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 04:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
The three major threads on Neighborhoods in Santa Fe:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/santa...situation.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/santa...hborhoods.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/santa...-santa-fe.html

Old 09-16-2018, 02:52 AM

thanks a lot, those partly answered my question

Old 09-16-2018, 09:09 AM

another (related) question.
I'm looking at the different houses for sale on Zillow, then I cross check the info looking at the Santa Fe county web site.
What is strange to me is that the claimed footage is rather different that the "official" one. The difference could be of 20 to 40 percents sometimes.
Moreover, some sellers include the basement in the footage. Is that legal in NM ?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,831,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdouble View Post
I'm looking at the different houses for sale on Zillow, then I cross check the info looking at the Santa Fe county web site.
What is strange to me is that the claimed footage is rather different that the "official" one. The difference could be of 20 to 40 percents sometimes.
Moreover, some sellers include the basement in the footage. Is that legal in NM ?
I was a part time Real Estate agent over 40 years ago, in another state (Florida), I was working/helping a few other people I knew...

I don't know/remember the answer to your question, but this may help:

Home Ownership
How to Calculate the Square Footage of Your Home
Written by Philip Gvinter on August 15, 2013

https://www.redfin.com/blog/2013/08/...your-home.html

Which also references:

https://seattlebubble.com/blog/2010/...nts-by-design/

Quote:
Well, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) guidelines on how to calculate a home’s square footage are considered the standard, but there are no official laws that govern this process. In addition, some Multiple Listing Services (MLS) report all finished and unfinished square footage as one number, adding to the confusion. Since the rules aren’t standard, some listing agents just post their best guess on a home’s square footage. As a result, buyers and their agents often have to investigate.

And from the state of New Mexico, this may also help: http://www.rld.state.nm.us/uploads/f...20Property.pdf

Old 09-19-2018, 06:31 AM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
The count is supposed to go by heated space. So if you have a heated basement, yes. If you have a sun porch with no climate control, then no.

I don't know if you have to be right in Santa Fe. For more affordable housing, you might try Glorieta and El Dorado. I don't know about Glorieta, but El Dorado has good schools.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Thanks for your comment.
Looking at the school rating it seems that we have to stick to the south capital area.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:20 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Thanks for your comment.
Looking at the school rating it seems that we have to stick to the south capital area.
South Cap is one of the best areas of town. I don't know what the affordability is these days, but you should be able to find something, I think.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:06 PM

974 posts, read 2,346,537 times
sdouble - At this time there are 11 homes for sale in the South Capital priced from $500,000 - 700,000.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:28 PM

Thanks GreatSantaFe. I do check on Zillow pretty frequently and nticed that there is a bunch of houses that could match possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe