Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,654,084 times

Advertisements

Cannot wait for our Christmas trip. Show at the Lensic, Farolito Walk, Church at Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi...

Hopefully we can find a restaurant open Christmas Day... maybe Hotel Santa Fe....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 07:43 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,171,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Hopefully we can find a restaurant open Christmas Day... maybe Hotel Santa Fe....
We ate at Hotel Santa Fe last Christmas. We made reservations ahead of time. It was pretty good - lots of foods to choose from so probably any type of eater would be happy.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:48 AM

679 posts, read 1,463,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Well...today we checked out a few areas and were pleasantly surprised by one and a bit disappointed with another. We found Rancho Viejo to be nice and its mid-tier fits our budget. The lower tier models weren't bad...just a bit smaller than we are looking for. On the other hand, my wife was disappointed with the Eldorado area. There are some really nice places out there, but also a lot of places that seemed a bit "unkempt." We are staying at a B&B off of Don Gaspar and really like that area, but we're probably priced out of anything around there. With my admittedly very short time here so far, I'm finding that I like SF overall. We'll be here until mid next week so we'll see if I still feel the same then.

Tomorrow we're off to the outlying areas....Glorieta, Pecos, probably as far as Las Vegas....to see if any of those areas bear a closer look.

We've lived in Eldorado for over two years now, and like it a lot. A lot of walking trails (makes the dog very happy) and open space. But, your observation is true. Some of the homes, especially the older ones, are not going to win any award for "best kept." Still, there are a lot of very nice ones, so it all boils down to whether you can handle the mix. We moved here from North Carolina, in a place with no real zoning, so we had a decade to get used to seeing million dollar homes next to trailers. Eldorado is much less extreme. Prices out here have gone up noticeably since my wife's mom moved here about 15 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
We ate at Hotel Santa Fe last Christmas. We made reservations ahead of time. It was pretty good - lots of foods to choose from so probably any type of eater would be happy.

I'm sure this will be our third consecutive Christmas Dinner there, too. We've been quite happy with the array of foods and the quality. Hotel Santa Fe does it right.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
We've lived in Eldorado for over two years now, and like it a lot. A lot of walking trails (makes the dog very happy) and open space. But, your observation is true. Some of the homes, especially the older ones, are not going to win any award for "best kept." Still, there are a lot of very nice ones, so it all boils down to whether you can handle the mix. We moved here from North Carolina, in a place with no real zoning, so we had a decade to get used to seeing million dollar homes next to trailers. Eldorado is much less extreme. Prices out here have gone up noticeably since my wife's mom moved here about 15 months ago.

I'm sure this will be our third consecutive Christmas Dinner there, too. We've been quite happy with the array of foods and the quality. Hotel Santa Fe does it right.
Love hearing Roybal perform his native flute music...in the bar.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Cannot wait for our Christmas trip. Show at the Lensic, Farolito Walk, Church at Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi...

Someone suggested making advance reservations. But if you find yourself without a place to go on Xmas day, I bet the buffet at Buffalo Thunder Resort, just 15-20 minutes north of SF, would be open. Their buffet is spectacular at any time, and no reservations are necessary. Dishes from half a dozen cuisines are available at all times. It needs to be seen to be believed; I don't know how they do it, but low overhead has something to do with it, I'm sure.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Someone suggested making advance reservations. But if you find yourself without a place to go on Xmas day, I bet the buffet at Buffalo Thunder Resort, just 15-20 minutes north of SF, would be open. Their buffet is spectacular at any time, and no reservations are necessary. Dishes from half a dozen cuisines are available at all times. It needs to be seen to be believed; I don't know how they do it, but low overhead has something to do with it, I'm sure.
Thank you for this post, I never thought about BT....might be fun. Thanks!!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:21 PM

681 posts, read 1,208,741 times
Well it looks like Santa Fe is going to be the place of choice for retirement. After exploring the town and several of the outlying areas my wife now has her mind set on SF. She liked being in closer to the amenities it offers. Myself, I could handle almost anywhere in NM, but did find SF rather nice too. On this trip we went as far out as Las Vegas and Los Alamos. Didn't really consider anything particularly close to Albuquerque, but did hit Eldorado, Pecos, Madrid, Glorieta and a bunch of countryside in between.

The specific neighborhood depends on what we feel we want to afford when money becomes available in February/March. I knew going in that housing was on the high side in SF, but some of the prices are crazy....especially in the areas closer to downtown. We did get a good idea of what the neighborhoods are like in those areas that we feel we can afford, and have an agent that knows our requirements and will keep an eye out for things that might come up.

If everything goes as planned the next trip will be early Spring with money in hand. My wife wants to be in SF by sometime in June and there's a lot to do on both ends to make it happen!

Old 10-16-2018, 12:33 PM

79 posts, read 126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Well it looks like Santa Fe is going to be the place of choice for retirement. After exploring the town and several of the outlying areas my wife now has her mind set on SF. She liked being in closer to the amenities it offers. Myself, I could handle almost anywhere in NM, but did find SF rather nice too. On this trip we went as far out as Las Vegas and Los Alamos. Didn't really consider anything particularly close to Albuquerque, but did hit Eldorado, Pecos, Madrid, Glorieta and a bunch of countryside in between.

The specific neighborhood depends on what we feel we want to afford when money becomes available in February/March. I knew going in that housing was on the high side in SF, but some of the prices are crazy....especially in the areas closer to downtown. We did get a good idea of what the neighborhoods are like in those areas that we feel we can afford, and have an agent that knows our requirements and will keep an eye out for things that might come up.

If everything goes as planned the next trip will be early Spring with money in hand. My wife wants to be in SF by sometime in June and there's a lot to do on both ends to make it happen!
Congrats!! best of luck and keep us posted please.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Thank you for this post, I never thought about BT....might be fun. Thanks!!
I don't know how I forgot; the pueblos also have ceremonies Xmas day. You could go out to Pojoaque in the morning to watch their deer dance, or whatever they do, and then have lunch. It's a great way to spend Xmas Day! I enjoy the alternative to churchy stuff for Xmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe