Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 04:13 PM

336 posts, read 583,016 times

Advertisements

How much snow did Santa Fe get last winter? What is the “normal” amount in recent years? One reason I want to move to Santa Fe is the weather. I do love the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 AM

102,310 posts, read 108,476,230 times
OP, if you're looking for snow, try Flagstaff. Santa Fe no longer gets significant snowfall. Or consider Taos, north of SF. Or Colorado.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:34 PM

26 posts, read 25,471 times
Is it a few inches a year now?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:52 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
While the city may not get much snow, you have quick access to lots of snow driving up the road to the Ski Area. Lots of trails off the road where you can enjoy the snow on x-country skis and snowshoes, or even walking in shoes depending on conditions.

This is one of the great advantages to New Mexico in my opinion. Most cities get little snow but are a short distance to mountain areas which are winter wonderlands.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
While the city may not get much snow, you have quick access to lots of snow driving up the road to the Ski Area. Lots of trails off the road where you can enjoy the snow on x-country skis and snowshoes, or even walking in shoes depending on conditions.

This is one of the great advantages to New Mexico in my opinion. Most cities get little snow but are a short distance to mountain areas which are winter wonderlands.
I never found those trails. I asked someone working at the ski area, and they didn't know, either. Where are they?

Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSass View Post
Is it a few inches a year now?
When it does snow in town, which is rare anymore, that is--when it snows enough to stick to the ground, it's just an inch or two at a time, maybe a couple of times per each winter. This summer and fall have been cooler than usual, so it's anyone's guess what winter will be like. But the winters have been very mild the last few years, compared to 10 years ago.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:51 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I never found those trails. I asked someone working at the ski area, and they didn't know, either. Where are they?
How can skiers not know about Aspen Vista Trail? It is one of the most popular places for seeing fall colors and x-country skiing in the state. You can't miss the large (often overflowing) parking area on the way to the ski area. Also Chamisa Trail farther down the mountain, it connects to a whole network of trails including Big Tesuque and Winsor Trails, miles and miles of trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp8Nx8p_ovc

Old 10-20-2018, 04:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,450,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That is odd since the southern extent of the groomed section of trail is at the ski area right next to the top of chairlift #2, next to the restaurant.

There are 4 miles of marked, groomed cross country ski trails (marked with a blue diamond) plus the service road which is groomed for both classical and freestyle cross country skiing, extending from the crest at the north end, to the ski area at the south, and as far down hill as the 10k trail parking area.

The trailheads are found at the service road at the peak (lower parking area), the Ellis trailhead, the 10k trail head, and at the north end of the ski area/tram.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That is odd since the southern extent of the groomed section of trail is at the ski area right next to the top of chairlift #2, next to the restaurant.

There are 4 miles of marked, groomed cross country ski trails (marked with a blue diamond) plus the service road which is groomed for both classical and freestyle cross country skiing, extending from the crest at the north end, to the ski area at the south, and as far down hill as the 10k trail parking area.

The trailheads are found at the service road at the peak (lower parking area), the Ellis trailhead, the 10k trail head, and at the north end of the ski area/tram.
Thank you. I guess the person I asked wasn't clear enough. I think I went off toward one of the service roads, but didn't see any groomed trails. On another occasion, I found another service road, but it was a steep one going uphill, and it was icy. It looked way too advanced for relative beginners to get up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe