Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,647 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to buy a lot from a person who's had it on the market since at least 2014. For some odd reason I keep coming back to the same lot for almost three years, and I've tried to buy it for over two years. The owner lowered the price 5k on the first round, when I agreed with a contingency to inspect existing well, she backed out and raised the price 10k. After refusing to go up on my offer she came back to her initial offer and I signed the contract, she backed out of it again, when I said I still wanted to inspect the well, and raised the price another 10k.... While I've been trying to buy the lot for over two years she's gone from her initial price of 145k to 175k... My realtor had a name for this, "Santa Fe Crazy", and I've heard the same description from few others.... Is that a going trend?
The well in question was drilled in 1978 and was never finished, I asked if they ever found water and she refused to answer. I offered to pay for the inspection which was quoted at 2800-5000.

I figured I'm due for another offer, just to see if I can push her to go up another 10k....

I also found another house that I wanted to buy. Found out from the owner it had a "slow well" with a water reserve tank (???) .... Asked around what does "slow well" mean and how much for a new well in that area, adjusted my offer accordingly, well see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,518,771 times
You trying to buy a lot in Santa Fe County or the City of Santa Fe? There is a big difference...

Looks like several hunfred lots in the county: https://www.zillow.com/homes/Santa-Fe-NM_rb/

I would move on to other lots. There are many for sale in the County...

Old 02-12-2019, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,647 times
Several hundred if you don't care where and how you live....

Old 02-13-2019, 01:41 PM

102,065 posts, read 106,917,029 times
OP, I would take her behavior as a warning flag, and would move on. But it's an important question: county or city well? Any chance to hook up to city or county services?

In any case, my guess is, that they didn't find water in the well (I wonder how they decide where to drill?), and she's not willing to disclose that fact (which is illegal: failure to disclose. Or it is in some states, anyway). Best to dodge this bullet.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:05 AM

974 posts, read 2,333,482 times
I agree with those advising you to move on. I may be wrong, but it sounds like you may be looking at a lot off Hwy 14, south of town. Regardless, you should definitely get a well inspection prior to closing any deal. Your Realtor should be able to do some research through the State Engineer's office to see if there is a well permit. Then, if there is, a well report should be on file. That report will tell you such things as the depth of the well and the depth of water and the water flow in gym (gallons per minute). Most households do okay with at least a 3 gpm flow rate, but it’s not great. A 5gpm flow rate is good, and above that is even better.
In low-production well situations you'll need an auxiliary storage tank, and if the flow rate further declines you'd have to drill deeper and hope that solves the problem, or drill anew well. At worst you'd have to pay for water to be delivered periodically and stored in a large tank; that’ll be expensive and good luck trying to sell the property to anyone else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe