Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM

182 posts, read 204,459 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting for 3 days, mid April. Should I get a hotel in the north (downtown plaza area), central, or south part of town? I would probably be on Cerrillos Rd, no matter what.

Also, what areas should be avoided? Moving to SF will be a consideration (This is the main purpose of my trip), so which areas should be avoided, when looking for an apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 04:02 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
I'd say the closer to the plaza the better because with only 3 days to spend here it'll be closer to the activities most tourists come here for. It'll also be closer to Tesuque and some nearby Indian Pueblo’s. Also you'll be able to walk to many attractions; the further out you are, the more dependent you'll be on your car to get anyplace.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 PM

182 posts, read 204,459 times
I don't plan on doing typical tourists things. Mostly I plan to walk around and get a feel for Santa Fe, but I think downtown would still probably be best..

Also, I don't drive, which means that I will be taking the bus everywhere. In western WA, we have bus cards that we tap and pay quickly (Orca card). Does Santa Fe have anything like that?

Another issue is getting to Santa Fe and back, very early in the morning. (Around midnight and then 2:30 AM coming back) I'm debating weather I should get a hotel in Albuquerque and then take the rail runner to SF in the day, or if I should just take the Sandia shuttle.. If I wanted to take the train, how would I get to the station? (It's Montaño Station, right?) I heard there is a free shuttle from the airport to the station (During hours of operation), but I can't find any information about that.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:12 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
I have never taken the bus, but looking at their site it looks like you can buy a pass that covers days a a time, I assume unlimited rides for that day. Probably the way to go it you plan on taking the bus around a lot. I would call them to make sure though. https://www.santafenm.gov/fares

I would probably stay near the plaza. One place I stayed once (prior to buying a home in Santa Fe) was at the Sage Inn - pretty basic and relatively inexpensive. Not ON the plaza, but close enough to walk if you don't mind a walk, and they do have shuttle that will drop you off and pick you up from the plaza area. https://www.santafesageinn.com/?gcli...AaAgYgEALw_wcB

Old 04-05-2019, 01:16 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
I will be visiting for 3 days, mid April. Should I get a hotel in the north (downtown plaza area), central, or south part of town? I would probably be on Cerrillos Rd, no matter what.
Hotels right on the plaza are my recommendation. The plaza area in Santa Fe is really cool, it's almost kind of a magical place, particularly at night with lights from the galleries and so forth.

If you can't swing a plaza hotel, next best bet are the motels along Cerrillos road about 1/2 mile to 1 mile from the plaza.

Quote:
Also, what areas should be avoided?
Nothign really in the way of areas that needs to be avoided in Santa Fe, neighborhood-wise. I'm sure there's certain apartment complexes that probably should be avoided due to crime or a preponderance of criminal type people living in them. I wouldn't know which ones those are, offhand, though. But you should be good to go in almost any neighborhood.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:25 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
I've never taken the bus in Santa Fe. I imagine if there's a city bus it would be a real pain in the butt to get around and a huge waste of time, though. I don't recall ever being "impressed" by anything that looked remotely like an "efficient" bus system during the times I have lived or been there.

As far as walking around getting a feel for the place I recommend just going around the entire town. On the side that's closest to the mountains is where all the rich people are (and where most of the houses are unoccupied most of the year since they are "second-" or "third-" homes for most of the people that own them.)

The rest of the town is basically just a regular town.The main draw of SF are the plaza/galleries area.

The other draw are the outdoors activities, so if you're into that, you definitely need to make a point to go up to two places: the hiking trails that are located just as you leave town to head up to the Ski resort, and the hiking trails that are located about 10-15 minutes up into that mountains on that same road. You'll want to get a feel for these areas if you plan to do hiking after moving there.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:59 PM

There's a free Santa Fe Pick-Up Shuttle that runs 2 routes - one for the Railyard/Plaza area and the other for Canyon Road.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:08 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I like the Motel 6 on Cerrillios near downtown. Cheezy, cheap, never had an issue. Walk downtown easily. Like $70 a night.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I like the Motel 6 on Cerrillios near downtown. Cheezy, cheap, never had an issue. Walk downtown easily. Like $70 a night.
That motel has seen shootings, fights and robberies over the past year. Last week a woman was found dead in her room there. Boyfriend was initially arrested but DA and police don't have enough evidence or accurate cause of death so he was released.
Just sayin'.......

Old 04-09-2019, 07:54 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
That motel has seen shootings, fights and robberies over the past year. Last week a woman was found dead in her room there. Boyfriend was initially arrested but DA and police don't have enough evidence or accurate cause of death so he was released.
Just sayin'.......
I read about that.

I have never had any issue, but then, we are typically in our room by 10pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe