Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 01:14 PM

35 posts, read 45,570 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a position in Los Alamos. We would rather not commute from Santa Fe. But the current real estate market is almost non-existant in Los Alamos. Our target price is 350k-400k and not more than 450k. There are only 14 active listings under 450k and they all leave much to be desired. It seems strange to me that the area is reported to be one of the most affluent yet none of these homes are particularly nice and most have not been updated inside at all.

Am I missing something about this market? How does the lab attract new employees where there is no place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 03:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Have you looked in White Rock, halfway down the hill? I think the lab runs commuter shuttles from Santa Fe, too. You could ask about that.

This one's within your budget in LA, and doesn't look bad. Depends on your taste.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-59917?view=qv
And another:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-22999?view=qv

Not sure what you're looking for, OP. LA and White Rock are small communities; there aren't going to be a lot of listings. As you may know (?), LA employees live all around: Santa Fe, Nambe, White Rock, Tesuque, Pojoaque. It depends on what level of employee you're talking about; I take it your husband isn't a scientist or engineer? They usually have nice homes in Tesuque and SF, but they cost a lot more than your budget.

Probably, when people get the good jobs there, they don't leave, so there's not much turnover in the homes? Just a guess.

This one in White Rock doesn't seem bad, if you don't mind someone else's decorating job, lol. You could strip, or paint over, the wallpaper.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-57429?view=qv

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-05-2019 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 08:14 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
When we first started looking around the SF area for a house I asked a realtor about Los Alamos. The reply was, "If you don't have cash....and a lot of it, don't bother." We still took a drive up there for a look around and I found that I really liked the town, but, yes, housing was severely lacking.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
When we first started looking around the SF area for a house I asked a realtor about Los Alamos. The reply was, "If you don't have cash....and a lot of it, don't bother."
I was a Realtor, lets just say over 40 years ago. I met all types. We have purchased three homes over the years and two investment property's, which worked out well...

Not all Realtors/Real Estate Agents are equal. Some don't work well with your personality, some are incredible, some... Well, not worth the time to deal with them... Do not hesitate to go with others.

If you haven't, you can do a lot of your own research on the internet... We have been using Zillow for over 10 years to do our Real Estate browsing. No, we do not have any connections with them. I just like to browse at home rather than being drug around areas I am not interested in...
https://www.zillow.com/homes/Los-Ala...querque-NM_rb/
And note, there is a Los Alamos Town and it is in Los Alamos County, New Mexico...

Old 05-06-2019, 04:15 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
We ended up finding a VERY good realtor, who in my opinion, has gone above and beyond to help us find a home in the SF area. Being a Right of Way Agent (now retired) I am pretty familiar with real estate transactions, but having someone that could navigate all the nuances of the local market, as well as NM regs and laws has been indispensable. A good agent is well worth the money spent.....and we are on track to close in one week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe