Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 28,952 times

Advertisements

My husband recently got a job at LANL and we are planning to move this June to NM. We won't have the luxury of being able to travel there before finding an apartment or home to rent, so I was hoping to get some advice. We didn't necessarily want to live in Santa Fe, though it's proven difficult to do online searches for apartments elsewhere. We considered Espanola until we started to read about the crime situation there. I am from Tucson AZ so I am somewhat used to the southwest and would like to find a quiet, not too expensive place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,085 times
Hmm, you ask good quesitons...but in the wrong place. Albuquerque isn't at all connected to Los Alamos or Santa Fe (being over an hour away to SF, and an hour and 45 to Los Alamos)

So perhaps you should repost this in the general New Mexico forum, because the Albuquerque forum isn't really going to help you get a great deal of returns. Anyway, best of luck on your decision!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:47 PM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
This is on the ABQ forum. Maybe you want the New Mexico forum?

Espanola is probably not your best choice. The Pojoaque Valley is the closest area other Los Alamos and White Rock itself, and would be less expensive than the alternatives going south until you went some distance south.

I have written a lot about the Pojoaque Valley on other threads. You might search if you are interested, or ask specific questions and I'll be happy to answer.

I suspect, however, it would be very difficult to find an apartment or house in the PV on-line because a great deal will depend on the neighborhood and the views. In the PV you could end up next to a trailer or a 100 acre estate or both -- it is something of a mix. White Rock and Los Alamos would provide more consistent neighborhoods.

Good luck.

PS. I do know some people who might have a house to rent for some period of time. A newish house in a consistent neighborhood of five acre lots. I think the place is about 2,500 sq feet. Good views of the Sangres de Christos -- I think. Might be expensive. Not sure what they want.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 PM

My apologies, I can't seem to find the "Santa Fe" city forum, it just brings me back here. I am finding a lot out just reading other people's stories, though...

Old 04-24-2008, 11:10 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
abqsunport said:

> ... you ask good quesitons...but in the wrong place. Albuquerque ...

Devin Bent then said:

> This is on the ABQ forum. Maybe you want the New Mexico forum?

Since it isn't apparent without seeing the stub in the Albuquerque Forum, this thread was moved to New Mexico.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 7,199 times
Default I Just Move to Los Alamos

I just moved to Los Alamos and I'm working at the hospital. Los Alamos and White Rock are very safe and family friendly but very very expensive. Average property taxes are $6,0000. An average utility bill including water, gas, electic, trash per month will run you $500.00. And that's for a very small house. I've been told that's average. The town itself is Ok. Friendly-NO. If you work at the lab you miight like it. All scientist here. Check out Realtor.com for housing prices. I've been looking all over the area trying to find afortable housing. Santa Fe is VERY expensive. Nambe is VERY expensive. Pojoaque is VERY expensive. Houses are TOO over priced and they stay on the market for years 3-4 years without being sold. Espanola, don't go there. I go shopping there. They have a great local supermarket that's cheaper than Wal-Mart. I'm a female with blond hair. When I go there shopping, I never see a nonhispanic. I never leave my boyfriends side. Tried to buy property in Ojo Caliente, two deals fell thru cause the Real Estate Agents are to lazy to get their work done before closing. Ojo Caliente housing prices are better, but all hispanics. I'm looking at a home in Jemez Springs, BEAUTIFUL but very bad driving in winter. I arrived in Los Alamos at the tale end of winter. From what I heard, people who in Jemez take snow days off from work when they can't drive cause of the snow and it's Ok with the employers. At least housing in Jemez is still affortable and it's a safe area. Let me know, if my comments help-keep in touch and good luck.

Last edited by booboo1; 04-25-2008 at 03:49 AM.. Reason: include more info

Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 AM

946 posts, read 3,264,802 times
Question Jemez Springs?

I'd certainly check very carefully with my employer and with others before moving to Jemez Springs without looking for yourself.

You're brand new on the job and you call up and say the magic word 'snow', and your employer is not upset that you are taking an unscheduled day off? Check on that. The pass -- I think -- hits 9,000 feet with turns in places where the sun seldom reaches in the winter. In a bad year, it could get a fair amount of snow and it is not a great commute in good weather.

And shopping? Services? The permanent population is maybe 500? -- it just doesn't support that sort of thing.

Also we looked at property up there when we moved and a fair amount was c**p vacation housing fairly close together even though you are in the middle of nowhere. What does it cost to heat one of those through the winter? I would not want to find out.

It and Espanola are the last places I would go cold. Rent here -- i.e., Los Alamos, White Rock, or maybe Pojoaque Valley -- for a while and see for yourself.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,462 times
I moved to Knoxville just over two years ago after living in Los Alamos and White Rock for 17 years, so I'll be happy to give you some suggestions/answer any questions you might have about the area.

However, I've got class in about 25 minutes, so I'll have to take a rain check for now. I'll try to log in later, so feel free to ask away between now and then.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:42 PM

Well, what I am gathering is anywhere we go, whether it be Los Alamos White Rock or Santa Fe, they're all expensive. Snow? We're coming from Ohio... So if anyone has any ideas of places that aren't RIDICULOUSLY expensive, let me know...

Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 PM

146 posts, read 453,074 times
I am looking at moving to Santa Fe from Iowa. I too must admit that I was a bit sticker shocked at home prices. However, depending on what you are looking for in life, it just might be worth it. Blue skies with lot's of sunny days! Beautiful scenery! Diverse culture with many interesting new people! Great recreation opportunities! And much, much more!

Just remember.... Everything in life is rented, not owned!! (In other words, you can't take it with you when you're gone.)

Best of Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe