Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,891 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I am looking for a reputable builder to build (and project manage) our Santa Fe home (in Eldorado) art studio. Approx.800 sq.ft, 2x6 construction, 12' ceilings, sheetrock inside, stucco outside, flat roof, bathroom, heat - other than that, no frills.

Can anyone provide me with ideas/experiences and/or references in the Santa Fe area? I know building costs are increasing too - I can't spend an arm and a leg but this studio is a must have. Looking to build either this summer or next.

Thanks in advance, KD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM

128 posts, read 638,246 times
Default Art Studio built

Did you ever find anyone? I am looking for one, too now.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 AM

60 posts, read 130,014 times
Try Max Aragon. Excellent high-quality builder.
Be clear on what you want and what your budget is and you will get something special.

(505) 699-2311
maxaragon@rocketmail.com

Tell him Peter Sills sent you.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:00 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,554 times
I agree with TDD - Max is a good guy and built a really nice property in Santa Fe that I wish I could afford to buy! Yes, know what you want and how much you want to spend - the latter is true for any builder you decide to work with.Some will have more ideas and alternatives than others. Other good ones to try are Michael Sandrin ( loves building in adobe) and Bob Turnbough.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Thanks! I'll be moving there in a month, and for a place filled with art and artists, there are so few homes with spaces that are sufficient studios......that are under a million $. I guess artists are not starving in NM. !!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDiamondGirl View Post
Thanks! I'll be moving there in a month, and for a place filled with art and artists, there are so few homes with spaces that are sufficient studios......that are under a million $. I guess artists are not starving in NM. !!
Au contraire - There is one property I know of that a couple of artists (of national renown) are selling that has a fantastic studio in addition to a home they designed and a guest house (all buildings are adobe) - that you could get for well under a million. That's just one example of several you could choose from. Artists in Santa Fe are not having an easy time of it....There are suitable properties out here for you without your having to go through the work and expense of building.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM

That is very interesting. I have been combing the MLS for over a year.

I don't see many homes with suitable studios and suitable homes attached, or I see a home with a suitable studio and the house is too big, too far away, or too high priced.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDDiamondGirl View Post
That is very interesting. I have been combing the MLS for over a year.

I don't see many homes with suitable studios and suitable homes attached, or I see a home with a suitable studio and the house is too big, too far away, or too high priced.

Ah, so the issue isn't the lack of such properties, it's that the ones you've seen aren't quite right for you and have other issues like size, location and price. If you send me a private message specifying what you would ideally want I'd be happy to do some research for you. In addition to properties currently listed, I have access to, and knowledge of, unlisted properties that the owners would, agree to sell.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 9,431 times
Daniel Tapia, deer horn builders. I have a small adobe in Santa Fe and he redid my bathroom, kitchen, an adobe wall and pergola. Meticulous first class work. And right on budget. Plus, he did the work with me not there. We communicated via phone, email and Internet. Am hiring him to do more work when it stops snowing.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,132 times
avoid Aragon Builders, Max Aragon. He built an earthen floor for me 8 years ago that started falling apart within a year. He only blames me. Recently I paid him to repair it. He put a linseed coat on it that has remained tacky for 2 weeks and it seems it will stay that way. Now this makes my casita pretty much unlivable, as it cant be walked on without tracking oil all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: