U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2020, 03:14 PM

3,052 posts, read 1,924,643 times

Advertisements

The world savage has been used in many languages and in English for centuries. Long before the continents of North and South America were ever known by Europeans. To suggest that Indians have now co-opted the term savage and it can only be used to refer to them is probably the dumbest thing I've heard all week. The people who took down the statue weren't even Indian. In recent months, Nick Cannon, who is a well known person in pop culture, and probably a role model to many, referred to white people as savages. I guarantee it was the most recent time anybody famous called any race (white or indian) savage, and perhaps the only time in the past decade.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 06:08 PM

96,553 posts, read 94,397,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I hope you are not trying to suggest Spanish or other Europeans im*nvented scalping.
The Huns and early Indo-European warrior tribes in Central Asia invented scalping. They would also display the severed heads of their enemies on the end of spears encircling the chief's tent, and make bowls out of the skulls of their slain enemies. Skull cups are still used in Tibetan rituals, and carved skull racks can be seen under the eaves of some of the temples. Tibetan nomads absorbed some aspects of culture from the Huns and other warrior societies they clashed with.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:51 AM

3,052 posts, read 1,924,643 times
Quote:
Many tribes of Native Americans practiced scalping, in some instances up until the end of the 19th century. Of the approximately 500 bodies at the Crow Creek massacre site, 90 percent of the skulls show evidence of scalping. The event took place circa 1325 AD.[14]
To suggest any one group invented it is just ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:54 PM

199 posts, read 164,757 times
As someone who enjoys visiting Santa Fe, are there plans to do something with what's left of the obelisk? Perhaps replace it with a sculpture or other artwork to enhance the plaza?

Old 02-05-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I don't think they are referring to all indians as savages, just the ones that they fought. Many assimilated which is why they are still around today. They were not all wiped out, obviouskly.

I am white and indian and it doesn't offend me. I don't have tribal affiliation so I won't say too much on that but I agree with the poster below. Tell the other side. And white people are routinely called savages and people who killed them our praised. On this site, on reddit, tumblr, twitter, and even in class rooms now.
The ones that "are still around today" didn't assimilate. They still live in their communities, observing their traditions, growing their own food, and so on. They never were "savages", see? In NM most of the tribes descended from the people who built Chaco Canyon and were part of the Anasazi civilization. They were farmers, like many of the Europeans who came to North America.

In fact, their way of life was so similar to Europeans, that when the US took over the Southwest. state and federal authorities couldn't figure out how to categorize them. Because they didn't live or behave like "wild Indians", so authorities didn't know if Federal Indian law applied to them or not. Or if they should be lumped in with Hispanics. A Supreme Court case came about, to decide the matter. The deciding factor, the ONLY deciding factor, turned out to be, that one of the pueblo communities had applied to the BIA for funding. This led the Court to decide, "Yup, they're Indians, all right."

"Savages" was just the epithet used to describe them, in order to label them as "lesser than", "other", and not fully human. The same was said about the Cherokees, to justify taking their land, when in fact, 90% of the Cherokee population was literate in their own written language, while only 10% or less of the settler population ws literate in English. The Cherokees were farmers, too.

For an Indian, you sure have swallowed a lot of bs.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:05 PM

101 posts, read 288,287 times
Next time, how about having it removed LAWFULLY.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
Next time, how about having it removed LAWFULLY.
The mayor had started working on that, then abandoned the effort. Though when the statue was pulled down, he said its removal was "long overdue", he'd dragged his feet on being proactive to arrange for its removal himself. People got impatient. And when protestors camped out nearby during the 3-day protest, he and police negotiated with them, regarding the statue's removal. So from that perspective, the action was in compliance with the mayor's and LE's parameters.

So you could quibble over whether or not that could be termed "lawfully". But the action had the mayor's and LE's approval.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-01-2021 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: