U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 05:47 PM

3,052 posts, read 1,924,643 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...72f2f32dc.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 01:28 PM

2,694 posts, read 1,285,144 times
"The monument to Union soldiers has long been controversial over its reference to battle with 'savage indians'."

It is my opinion that it is definitely fair to ask just which side were the savages?

I believe the communities that have reservations close by should revere the indian heritage surrounding them. So yes, the obleisk was inappropriate.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 AM

96,553 posts, read 94,418,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
"The monument to Union soldiers has long been controversial over its reference to battle with 'savage indians'."

It is my opinion that it is definitely fair to ask just which side were the savages?

I believe the communities that have reservations close by should revere the indian heritage surrounding them. So yes, the obleisk was inappropriate.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:56 AM

18,243 posts, read 6,815,016 times
savages.....

Old 10-15-2020, 12:42 PM

3,052 posts, read 1,924,643 times
I'd say the ones that destroyed the monument are the savages.

Anyways, the savage part of the monument was already scratched out, so I doubt that's it.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:52 AM

104 posts, read 95,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
And on and on we go... Until there are no monuments left
I'd rather have no monuments that a single one that glorifies the slaughter of native americans or honors proponents of slavery. It speaks to the morality of the nation. Do we continue to turn a blind eye to the sins of the past or do we have the decency to finally acknowledge them? If politicians had the courage to address the issue much much sooner, people wouldn't be taking things into their own hands.

How would you feel if everyday you passed a monument that called white people savages and praised the people that killed your ancestors while the descendants of those people stood in front of it to take selfies? A little empathy would go a long way but a lot more is needed.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 1,590,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTransplant View Post
I'd rather have no monuments that a single one that glorifies the slaughter of native americans or honors proponents of slavery. It speaks to the morality of the nation. Do we continue to turn a blind eye to the sins of the past or do we have the decency to finally acknowledge them? If politicians had the courage to address the issue much much sooner, people wouldn't be taking things into their own hands.

How would you feel if everyday you passed a monument that called white people savages and praised the people that killed your ancestors while the descendants of those people stood in front of it to take selfies? A little empathy would go a long way but a lot more is needed.
Believe me, this is "Plan B" for groups like BLM and Antifa (not including you personally in having these thoughts). Personally, I'm not all that invested in man-made monuments, except for their historical significance - I'd prefer to have something erected next to or near those that are deemed controversial that tells "the other side of the story", it would enhance the value of both pieces of artwork with respect to history; one would magnify the importance of the other and be a much more powerful statement. Creation vs. Destruction.

On a related note, I would love to know how those with Mexican ancestry view these controversies - since their own ethnicity is largely made up of both indigenous people and the Spanish (European!) conquerors. Also, is their relationship with "pure" indigenous groups more or less contentious when compared to "white people'?

My greatest concern is that the Outraged Youth of today are decrying racism by primarily making judgments via skin color and/or ethnicity and race. Do they not see the schizophrenia inherent in this?

Old 10-16-2020, 02:03 PM

4,098 posts, read 6,209,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Believe me, this is "Plan B" for groups like BLM and Antifa
No, I don't "believe you" because that is far from the truth. Pure paranoia on your part.

This monument in Santa Fe Plaza should have been removed decades ago. Good riddance to bad rubbish. If the monuments we erect today end up offending future generations, I hope they will tear them down also.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:35 PM

3,155 posts, read 1,590,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
No, I don't "believe you" because that is far from the truth. Pure paranoia on your part.

This monument in Santa Fe Plaza should have been removed decades ago. Good riddance to bad rubbish. If the monuments we erect today end up offending future generations, I hope they will tear them down also.
You just offended me. Please tear yourself down at your earliest convenience.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:46 PM

17,932 posts, read 22,328,134 times
I have mixed feelings about summary unofficial monument removal myself, but in this case I can really see the frustration considering it was decided that it would be removed almost 50 years ago, and no action has been taken.

Personally, I would have preferred to have the monument rededicated, perhaps with a plaque explaining and contextualizing its history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post

I'd say the ones that destroyed the monument are the savages.
Referring to Native Americans as "savages" on a New Mexico subforum. Bold.

I mean, call them vandals, call them criminals, but racial slurs are a bit over the top.

But, whatever, this is City-Data afterall, I'm not the PC police here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: