U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2020, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 1,855 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Summit area of Santa Fe, near Ten Thousand Waves. We are driving our 2 German Shepherds and our 3 month old Miniature Poodle from Maine. All three are great with traveling, but I am worried about moving them (especially the puppy) because of the high altitude.
If anyone has any ideas about how to handle the altitude change for them, especially the puppy, please let me know!
Also if anyone knows a really great vet, that would be really helpful too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 09:19 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,113,134 times
I've spent a lot of time in S.F. and we have also taken a month-long vacation there with an elderly dog. She did great with the altitude - way better than I did, in fact! The main thing that I did was to stock up on low-sodium chicken broth and give her a diluted cup (half water, half low-sodium broth, to equal one cup) of that a couple of times per day. She was not that interested in drinking water, even when she was not at altitude, and I know from experience that hydration helps a lot with altitude adjustment, but it's easy to forget because you don't FEEL thirsty. But when we gave her chicken-broth-flavored water, she lapped it right up.

(Be sure to offer bathroom breaks more frequently, accordingly!)

After an adjustment period, this precaution might not be necessary, but it's my suggestion for the first week or two.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:10 AM

26,530 posts, read 48,493,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
We are moving to the Summit area of Santa Fe, near Ten Thousand Waves. We are driving our 2 German Shepherds and our 3 month old Miniature Poodle from Maine. All three are great with traveling, but I am worried about moving them (especially the puppy) because of the high altitude.
If anyone has any ideas about how to handle the altitude change for them, especially the puppy, please let me know!
Also if anyone knows a really great vet, that would be really helpful too!
My wife and I arrived to New Mexico 21 years ago. We have had at least 21 dogs during that period in the Albuquerque area. We have also taken in (rescued) other dogs for short periods with no problems.

We have been using Dr Riegger, on and off during those years. He is listed on Alameda Blvd in Albuquerque.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:15 PM

26,530 posts, read 48,493,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
My wife and I arrived to New Mexico 21 years ago. We have had at least 7 dogs during that period in the Albuquerque area. We have also taken in (rescued) other dogs for short periods with no problems.

We have been using Dr Riegger, on and off during those years. He is listed on Alameda Blvd in Albuquerque.
Error Correction:

My wife and I arrived to New Mexico 7 years ago. We have had at least 21 dogs during that period in the Albuquerque area. We have also taken in (rescued) other dogs for short periods with no problems.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:31 AM

670 posts, read 1,374,401 times
We moved here a bit over four years ago from North Carolina. The altitude change took us from about 2400 feet to about 7000 feet, and the route had us descending before gaining elevation. Our dog was four at the time. She had no trouble with the adjustment, including after we arrived.

Now keep in mind this girl wants for nothing, so she had plenty of water. She is also very active (still), and that did not slow down even temporarily when we got here. She adjusted well.

My best advice on that is to "read and react." Since people's reactions range are all over the gamut, I would imagine dogs could be the same. The biggest mistake people make when moving here is not drinking enough water. The idea of "spiking" the water with something innocent that the dog will love makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, while I live in the Santa Fe area, I am about as far from where you are headed as can be, so the vet we use would likely be of little interest.

One note on the area you are moving to: I would hate to think what would happen to my weight and my budget if I lived that close to Izanami. Parking on the lower lot and walking up the hill might help the weight. Let's just say we have had some excellent meals there.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 1,855 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for the great advice...I feel much more relaxed about the dog's responses and seems like water will be the key! Adding a little something to encourage them to drink as much as possible sounds like a great idea!
I'm assuming my husband and I should probably do the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe