U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 06:21 AM

41 posts, read 114,297 times

Advertisements

There are bits of "Santa Fe" that are not in the city, but rather in the county, eg, Camino Tres Arroyos, Camino Don Emilo, Coyote Ridge Road (so, area north of West Alameda, east of Siler Road). There are some nice homes there, and a friend has urged me to consider the area for a home purchase.

What are the pros and cons of City vs County in general, and that area in particular?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 06:58 AM

670 posts, read 1,374,401 times
I live in the county (Eldorado). I think it is the usual list of things. What I am going to refer to is generic, not in relation to the places you mentioned specifically.

Property tax rates will be different, and the city’s is not necessarily higher depending on where you live. City ordinances will probably not apply in areas of the county (I say probably because the county may have laws identical or very similar). Zoning restrictions are often different (same caveat).

Response time of emergency services might be different, since Santa Fe county covers a lot of ground and the sheriff will be responding to law enforcement calls. As long as you are not in a remote area, those things are probably not drastically different.

I don’t know for sure here, but in areas of the county imbedded within the city, the city may provide emergency services (I suspect there would be a line item on the property taxes for that).

Things like access to cable service can be different. We have Comcast/Xfinity where I live, but houses on the other side of the highway or a half-mile south of me do not, or at least did not when we moved here. That could also be true of gas vs. propane, water main (and who provides it and how that impacts property taxes) vs. private or community wells, sewer line vs. septic, etc. The trash and recycling service provider may be different.

There may be a convenience factor, if the things you like to do are in Santa Fe proper. Although if you live off Cerillos Rd toward the airport and what you like to do is near the Plaza, that convenience factor may be the opposite of what had hoped. Perhaps things like relative distance to common needs like grocery stores, etc factors in.

We’ve lived here almost 5 years, and I have not detected any animosity between the city and county, nor have I heard of any among the residents. I have lived in places where that was not the case. In one place, the city was constantly trying to annex the adjoining/embedded places (a hostile takeover, of sorts) until the state dropped the hammer. That created a constant tension, even among the residents. I have not seen or heard of anything like that here.

We have some people who are long-time residents or in the real estate business who are regulars here, and they may be able to give you some information specific to the areas you mentioned. Unfortunately, all I know about those areas is where they are and our general impressions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: