U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 06:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,208 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to Eldorado. It seems the perfect place to retire to. I've heard so many wonderful things about it which check off the boxes for retiring but I have also read that there are water issues which could be a deal breaker. I read somewhere that you can run out of water while taking a shower. So what are the water issues and is each house allotted a certain amount of water per week, per month before it's shut off?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 07:27 AM

96,549 posts, read 94,397,660 times
Have you tried Googling your topic? Seek, and ye shall find! This (info linked) explains a lot. All household water in El Dorado comes from wells. Whether you'll have enough water depends on how deep your well is, and whether there's a drought going on or not. The likelihood of "not" in these times of climate change is slim.
Thirsty Locals and Their Declining Wells - New Mexico Mercury

https://www.eawsd.org/water-quality-faqs

Old 05-24-2021, 10:24 AM

670 posts, read 1,374,259 times
I live in Eldorado and have for five years now. We currently have water restrictions, but they deal mostly with when water is used.

I have not heard of anybody running out of water while taking a shower. Understand, some here have their own or shared wells (I think) and the rest of us are using Eldorado Water and Sewer District services.

If your are on a private well, it is always possible you could run out of water without any notice unless you have something on your tanks to monitor what is going on. I doubt that it would happen using the Water District's feed without a lot of advanced warning and severe restrictions beforehand.

If they do implement an allotment (not sure what their different levels of restrictions are), there is a web site to monitor usage. It is actually more designed to monitor for leaks, but it gives usage data by the month, day, or previous days by hour. So if somebody hit their cap, it would be because they didn't monitor that.

We are in a desert, basically. Water is always going to be a concern.

One more thing about water here: it is very hard.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:01 PM

Thanks Ruth4Truth, the articles were very informative. I had already read the FAQ. I read some of your other posts on another thread that were helpful too.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:09 PM

Default Eldorado Water Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I live in Eldorado and have for five years now. We currently have water restrictions, but they deal mostly with when water is used.

I have not heard of anybody running out of water while taking a shower. Understand, some here have their own or shared wells (I think) and the rest of us are using Eldorado Water and Sewer District services.

If your are on a private well, it is always possible you could run out of water without any notice unless you have something on your tanks to monitor what is going on. I doubt that it would happen using the Water District's feed without a lot of advanced warning and severe restrictions beforehand.

If they do implement an allotment (not sure what their different levels of restrictions are), there is a web site to monitor usage. It is actually more designed to monitor for leaks, but it gives usage data by the month, day, or previous days by hour. So if somebody hit their cap, it would be because they didn't monitor that.

We are in a desert, basically. Water is always going to be a concern.

One more thing about water here: it is very hard.

Thanks, Mule, good to know. Sounds like having a home using the Water District's feed is better? Better yet, would like to see Aquifer Storage and Recovery projects being implemented.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:02 AM

670 posts, read 1,374,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyrooster View Post
Thanks, Mule, good to know. Sounds like having a home using the Water District's feed is better? Better yet, would like to see Aquifer Storage and Recovery projects being implemented.

We haven't had any problems with the Water District's service. Depending on where people move from, having water as a major utility every month can be a shock.

The biggest threat to the Water District is the lots across 285 from Eldorado. As they are now, it is not a problem. But some guy had a vision of developing that land. He is now dead, but his daughter wants to "carry on his vision." That saga has been going on for a lot longer than we have been here, and to my knowledge he/she has not made any headway with the county in terms of the lot requirements or much else. So it hangs out there, but I don't expect it to go anywhere anytime soon. One of the big hurdles would be where the water will come from. Of course, the other problem is with real estate looking very much like a bubble right now, development plans would be economically dubious, especially since most of those lots already have houses on them which would drive up the acquisition costs even further. But, I learned long ago not to apply economics or reason to developers actions, which is why so many wore Ty-D-Bowl costumes during the last crash.

There may be something about aquifer projects on the EAWSD web site (eawsd.org). They have a document library, but it is anybody's guess what document that might be in. My guess is you would find it in the Technical Reports section, whatever the latest version is. I saw the 2017 version a while back and they do discuss well location and, if I remember, the associated aquifers at a very high level.

When I say hard water, I mean very hard water. I think ours tested at around 16 grains when we moved here, so we have a softener dutifully running. But that is pretty typical of anywhere in desert areas. I remember Phoenix having water that practically oozed out of faucets when I lived there 30 years ago.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:18 PM

26 posts, read 26,399 times
I have been in El Dorado for close to 12 yrs. I would look for a home without a well....I wouldn't want the up keep. The EAWSD last I knew had a really good Board who ran things well. I knew someone who was connected to a hydrologist and the forecast for water supply here was good. This is the second time were water advisories have existed...It means you should water on specific days. The Board that runs the association is good, very concerned about keeping up the community and improving it. The HOA fees are low and the amenities are good. Yeah the drama of Joe Miller, the guy who owns larges hunks of land on the east side of 285 has been going on for quite sometime. I never got the impression that they were looking to develop that area with residential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: