Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
There are scorpions and rattlesnakes, as well as giant centipedes and black widows in the area. Just watch where you put your hands and feet, and you should be ok.
Yeah, wear slippers around the house. I heard a story from a guy who got up during the night and stepped on an big centipede barefooted--crunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:51 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
Spiders, centipedes and flies, but nary a mosquito since we have little standing water for them to breed in. The worst insect we have are the ants. They usually are everywhere, and I spend some time each summer battling them. The little red ones are surprisingly vicious. I will be standing at the grill sometimes, and this hot pain starts in my foot, and lo and behold, some little red ant is gnawing on my foot.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:49 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,535 times
Default Seasonal pests

Bugs are seasonal here with this a relatively bad time.

1. We get a lot of stupid flies. Don't know how they get in the house and all they do is press against the windows and screens trying to get out. Easy to kill -- they have no instinct to avoid danger. If you swing and miss they just sit there and wait for you to swing again.

2. A teeny little black thing that you can barely see. They tend to land on your socks and crawl up and bite your ankles. They only itch for a short time. Some people get them in their house -- we don't.

3. Something that seems to live in thick brush and bites you low on the leg. Itches for a week. You rarely get more than one bite, but that one will drive you crazy. Anybody know what it is?

Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lypeaches View Post
I'm looking at Santa Fe as a possible relocation spot, and would like to know how bad, or not bad, is the insect life in Santa Fe? Especially mosquito's?
I live in Ruidoso (same elevation as Santa Fe, but southern part of the state), so maybe things are a bit different up there... but compared to Kauai (where we moved from) or Illinois (where I grew up) there are no bugs here... I mean there might as well be zero. What few spiders there are usually starve. Mosquitos are rare.

On Kauai I'd be swarmed by mosquitos every time I went outside. My wife was twice crawled upon by giant centipedes in the house (in two years). Huge cockroaches everywhere. Thousands of ants in the house... we had to zip-lock seal every single thing they could eat and be very careful about spills. Geckos would get into the house and poop all over and Geck! all night... but they also ate some of the cockroaches... and a few of the ants...

In NM (two years) I've had one mosquito bite... haven't seen a single cockroach. No ants in the house at all. Haven't seen a centipede. The land is free of briars and poisonous plants. I've heard reports of rattlesnakes, but haven't seen one yet. The most ubiquitous critter is the deer... they are extremely numerous, fairly tame, and have a bad habit of running in front of cars.

It's quite nice in general...

Old 06-24-2008, 08:41 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Simple solution: I just avoid the places where they hang out.

That makes Santa Fe just a normal and wonderful city to live in, for me anyway.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM

Well, at least I am the only vinegaroon in Santa Fe. When I was living down in Alamogordo/Tularosa, I used to see those things crawling around. The first time I saw a vinegaroon, it was on my ceiling and I got pretty freaked out. It looks like a cross between a scorpion and a tarantula.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,664 times
Yuk! I had to google vinegaroon - I thought it was just a name you gave yourself to signify pithy thoughts! Ugly looking beast - the crawly thing, I mean ;-}

Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM

They are strange looking. I found one vinegaroon shell down in the Tularosa community park and sent it to my buddy in Minnesota. He thought I made the whole thing up about the vinegaroons until he saw that. Another weird B-Movie thing is there are a fair amount of tarantulas down there. When it rains they come out from their hidey-holes and start creeping around en masse. Spiders are not my favorite creatures, even if they do take care of other bugs.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Oh oh - I'd better go and search vinegaroon and see what you look like....

Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 PM

Oh man!!!!! Those are some ugly bugs!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe