Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:18 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,089 times

Advertisements

VT2NM said:" We'll probably buy a house in Cochiti."
Just a reminder that the houses there are on Cochiti Pueblo land which is leased - not owned - by the homeowner. The lease is up in 2068 and then, according to its terms, the land and all buildings on it revert back to the tribe. Land lease costs each homeowner $239/quarter or almost $1000/yr.
Perhaps the tribe will extend the lease for another 99 years - or not.
Cochiti seems like a nice community, with easy access to boating, fishing and golf. It's about 30 minutes into Santa Fe. Housing costs are comparatively low. Only wrinkle might be that you don't own the land your house sits on, so depending on how close to the end of the lease it may be difficult to sell the house - and it's not something you could leave your heirs with an assurance of future value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 AM

19 posts, read 61,686 times
VT2NM, Sorry to hear you're disillusioned about your move. While I do admit that I like a little green, I'm not anxious to spend time on the upkeep of a garden. Our current home came with a perennial rock garden and quasi-xeriscaping, with pea stone gravel, rocks, etc. I grow cherry tomatoes in a pot on my deck, inaccessible to the critters, if I could do that out there I would be OK. Deer damage really turned me off to gardening. So, the lack of formal landscaping is not much of a problem for me, although I'd have to get used to no trees. But, the upside is, I won't have to listen to mowers and blowers all day as I do here. And: No leaves!
Comments and Questions: Mail Center? Is that the same as a Post Office? Do you have to pick up mail at a central location? New Yorkers slowing you down? Are they residents, visitors, snowbird-types? Funny, my experience of New Yorkers (living there and working there and, oh yeah, I wuz one ) is they're usually in more of a hurry than you are...What is exit 290? (can't find my map right now and I'm too lazy to go to Google)
your post got me curious to check on Cochiti. Seems a few NHers have landed there. You should be able to find something in common with other New Englanders. But for me the housing stock seems too close. To each his own.
In general, your positives list outweighs the negatives for us.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Hi, Towanda, Thanks for responding. I've read your posts and you seem knowledgeable, honest and fair in your comments. I absolutely agree that there's no one place that suits everybody. Now, I'm still trying to get the hang of this forum thing. I have more questions about Eldorado. Do I ask them here or create a new thread?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:11 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,289 times
ExSIGirl:

First of all, you can have a little green in Eldorado, just not your whole acre in a lush green lawn. We have two enclosed courtyards and both of them have lawns...not the thick green lawns of the northeast U.S. but they are enough for us. (And little mowing - true! My husband has an old push mower and a weed whacker that he uses.) We have lots of wonderful trees and shrubs and perennials that the former owner planted through the years. Next spring we are going to find a place for some veggies and herbs, even if they are in pots. And we are going to plant some rose bushes -- roses do very well out here and I had no luck with them in Kansas, so that is a project for spring.

You won't have to get used to no trees, just smaller trees. We have aspen trees, locust trees, an apple tree and a couple of pine trees in our courtyards, and outside the walls our lot is covered with juniper trees, as are most of the lots in Eldorado. We do have leaves from the trees inside our courtyard, but definitely not as much raking as Vermont!! And ... if you want to see big trees, you can drive up into the mountains and see magnificent pines and aspens that rival any in the eastern U.S.

There is a little mail center in Eldorado. You can send packages and letters. You can buy stamps. You can buy mailing supplies. They are not a full service post office, but sure beats waiting in line at the P.O. in Santa Fe.

Our mail is delivered by a mailman in a mail truck to our mailbox which is at the end of our driveway.

As far as further questions about Eldorado, you can ask them here or start a new thread. Since this thread has "Eldorado" in the title, anyone looking for that topic should see it.

P.S. I am a New Yorker too ... and I know many New Yorkers do not like it here ... or else get a "reputation" for coming here and trying to change things or complaining that it is not like "back East." The best thing to do here is realize this is a far different state than any back East and there are good things and maybe not so many good things about that. I just try to go with the flow, and respect the environment, the people and the culture.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Well, we love the house we're in now, beautiful setting and an easy drive to anything that I would ever need, BUT we recognize that if my husband is to ever be able to retire, we gotta get out of here and leave New Jersey to the truly rich (as opposed to those who appear rich because of the house they own)

We're looking for a moderate 4 seasons, a home large enough for studio space for my husband, a singer-songwriter aside from his day job, with a little painting/crafting space for me, that wouldn't break our backs to pay for and maintain. As expenses are always a consideration in retirement, what sort of HOA fee is involved in Eldorado? How is it calculated? how frequently does it go up and by how much, usually? is the water fee included or is that folded into the property tax?

As for neighbors, the larger properties suit us fine, but I think it would be nice to have some casual, if not good friendships and not be too isolated especially as we get older. For now though, we don't know our neighbors now so if it takes time to meet folks its not an utter disaster. We do realize that it might take awhile to find a home that suits our needs. We would obviously not want to start looking until after we've sold here. would taking a rental in Eldorado or nearby while we're looking be a viable option?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 44,327 times
Default Towanda

True all that you say. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Yes, should I move out of Eldorado I will miss the amazing sunsets, the full moon, and the amazing starry skies. I get a kick out of Orion lying down. In Vermont, he stands up!

Enjoy the weekend sun!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:48 PM

12 posts, read 44,327 times
Default One last thing...

...we could all debate Eldorado to death, however ExSIgirl, here's what you really need to know. No matter where you settle in Santa Fe or ABQ, or even Espanola (that was a joke), the living out here can't be beat. If I were sentenced to live in Eldorado for life, I would happily accept that punishment. It is gorgeous here (of course I'm writing while the sun is ready to put on another evening show). Don't worry about the water, these guys will figure it out. Enjoy the quiet. Enjoy the different fauna. Santa Fe and Eldorado will be what you make of it, and I'll bet you'll find just what you need.

Put that NJ house on the market and get out here. It's pretty good living. I know I'll never go back.

Gotta go watch the sunset...bye for now.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:27 PM

VT-

Sprucin' it up as we speak. Tomw. the guy comes to refinish the floors. And the junk keeps pilin' up on the Goodwill trail.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:07 AM

ExSIgirl:

Been there with getting a house ready to sale and going through every inch to find stuff to get rid of.

I was cleaning 28 years of clutter out of my house in Kansas for a whole year before we moved. I was getting really creative finding places to donate a lot of our stuff so that I didn't have to throw it out .... or bring it to New Mexico with me.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 AM

VT2NM:

One of my rules for living out here is: Never miss a sunset.

That one last night was really good -- I'm not sure if I prefer the red fiery ones or the pink pastel ones like we had last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe