U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM

19 posts, read 59,951 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been lurking awhile and just decided to jump in. My first post ever, so be gentle. We are in our 50's, I'm retired and my husband hopes to be as soon as we can get the house sold. (Not on the market yet, but its not too soon to be planning) We've been thinking seriously of relocating to the Eldorado area. I've been doing the research and find nothing on this Forum about water issues. But I see from other sources that you're on a stage 2 drought alert (!!) and the water rates seem to be increasing rapidly. Many of the homes I see for sale have private wells. Is there really a problem with the water? What are the advantages/disadvantages of community water vs. private wells? Thanks for any help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:37 PM

3,556 posts, read 9,819,793 times
Are you currently a resident of New Mexico?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:27 PM

We now live in New Jersey. We stayed in Albuquerque last year for 10 days to check it out, and will probably go again. While in N.M. we encountered an ultra low-flow toilet (cool idea: dual flush operation, less water use where possible, more when needed, etc ) so we're not totally ignorant of the differences of desert living. Water issues are not necessarily a deterrent, but we'd like to know what we may be getting into, and the best way to approach the problem.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM

There are quite a few posters that live on Eldorado... I think you'll get your questions answered.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSIgirl View Post
We now live in New Jersey. We stayed in Albuquerque last year for 10 days to check it out, and will probably go again. While in N.M. we encountered an ultra low-flow toilet (cool idea: dual flush operation, less water use where possible, more when needed, etc ) so we're not totally ignorant of the differences of desert living. Water issues are not necessarily a deterrent, but we'd like to know what we may be getting into, and the best way to approach the problem.
Love dual-flush toilets, but I haven't seen many living in NM.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:05 PM

Nor here in NJ. when we renovated our powder room, we put one in. Plumbing supply guy we ordered it from said we got the first one sold in NJ. lol When and if we get to NM, we're open to do what needs to be done to preserve the beautiful country that's there, solar etc. Is it true that The Gov. signed a law requiring HOAs to allow solar installations by homeowners?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 PM

I don't know... sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,675,079 times
Hi ExSIgirl:

We moved to Eldorado in May 2008 when my husband retired.

However, we have been looking at Eldorado for almost 40 years, since the area began to be developed in the early 1970s.

We own a building lot here in Eldorado as well as the 14 year old house we purchased this year.

There are two sources for water here. Some lots have community water from the Eldorado Area Water and Sanitation District. Other lots have private or shared wells.

When we were looking for a home, we opted to only look at houses with community water, as it seems like a safer option in times of drought: the company will find ways to provide water to customers; however with a well, you are on your own and if you cannot get water in a drought period, you would (I imagine) need to drill deeper. Honestly, I just don't see any advantage to having a well.

Yes, we are in a Stage 2 drought alert, but my understanding is that is common in a desert area.

And yes, water is expensive here, at least compared to what we paid in Kansas. And we try to be as careful as possible about our water usage; so far we have been using less water per month than we expected. Residents here are expected to really conserve their water usage, especially in the summer months.

As far as solar, there are many existing solar homes in Eldorado (the subdivision originally was planned as a solar community.) Depending on the inventory of available houses, there are usually some solar options to choose from.

In the six months we have been in Eldorado we have grown to really love it here. It's peaceful and quiet and the views are awesome. The size of the lots is nice because you are not on small lots right next to your neighbors. The night sky here is incredible. The only drawback we have found is that it is somewhat hard to get to know people, since we do not have children in the school, and have not joined any organizations. However, we like our kind of secluded life, and we do go to the Vista Grande Public Library, and all of the community events, and everyone we have met here has been very friendly.

If you have any questions, just let me know. Good luck on your retirement plans; having just been through it, I know it can be stressful.

Towanda

Old 12-04-2008, 03:23 AM

12 posts, read 43,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSIgirl View Post
Hello all,

I've been lurking awhile and just decided to jump in. My first post ever, so be gentle. We are in our 50's, I'm retired and my husband hopes to be as soon as we can get the house sold. (Not on the market yet, but its not too soon to be planning) We've been thinking seriously of relocating to the Eldorado area. I've been doing the research and find nothing on this Forum about water issues. But I see from other sources that you're on a stage 2 drought alert (!!) and the water rates seem to be increasing rapidly. Many of the homes I see for sale have private wells. Is there really a problem with the water? What are the advantages/disadvantages of community water vs. private wells? Thanks for any help.
Hi ExSIgirl! It's always nice to hear from an east-coaster here. I previously posted on another thread about Eldorado which can be found here: //www.city-data.com/forum/santa...ml#post6139024 Hopefully you'll be able to access it so I don't have to repeat myself here.

I wouldn't say Eldorado is in such a water crisis that a low flow toilet is necessary. I would say however that if having any kind of landscaping is important to you (like I enjoyed in Vermont) then perhaps Eldorado is not for you. I mean, from May to October you can only water one day a week at certain hours. It's nuts...at least for this northeasterner. The desert living and "xeriscaping" is all well and good, but for someone who is used to being able to water whatever whenever it's a deal breaker. Often in the newspaper there are letters in the editorial section about the water situation out here. Poor management and a water board made up of knuckleheads has put Eldorado in this predicament. It's pretty entertaining...so many with so many opinions yet no residents actually want to be a part of the water board. With the water issue in Eldorado, I don't have much hope for any home here appreciating in value over ten or twenty years. Sorry, I digress.

As you'll read in my previous post, the dust is overwhelming. Ironic that landscaping would reduce that dramatically, yet without water.... I have found my water and sewer bill to be comparable if not cheaper than in Vermont. Granted, Vermont overall is more expensive in all utilities compared to out here.

I'm glad "Towanda" addressed the issue of getting to know your neighbors. She hit the nail on the head. I agree that if you're not in the "loop," meaning have kids in the school, it's hard to meet people. Without kids, Eldorado is a bedroom community.

My wife and I (she 48 me 38) love so many things about living here in Eldorado. We won't stay however. We'll probably buy a house in Cochiti. We'll give up the convenience of all Eldorado has to offer and proximity to our jobs, but Cochiti appears to have more potential to get to know people just by virtue of the proximity to neighbors. Golf and the lake are a mile away, as is all Albuquerque and Santa Fe have to offer.

At any rate, it's gorgeous out here in Eldorado. The open spaces and land each house comes with is great, but be careful what you wish for. Eldorado is just not what we expected. Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 AM

3,011 posts, read 9,675,079 times
VT2NM:

It's always amazing to me how different we all are.

I love living in Eldorado, I love the desert atmosphere and xeriscape gardening. I don't mind restricted watering in the summer; I am not interested in a lush green lawn and huge trees or I would not have moved here -- I would have stayed in Kansas where I already had all that.

The dust doesn't bother me at all; and the wind at some times of the year while a little annoying is just part of living out here. It is MORE THAN MADE UP FOR by the views, the amazing night sky, the peace and quiet, the amenities.

Yes, it is challenging to meet people out here, but I don't feel the need to make friends to entertain and visit, etc. I had years of that; as long as the neighbors are not disruptive or don't bug me, I'm happy. (We have met all of our neighbors and they are nice people who like us seem to keep to themselves. That's okay with me.)

I can talk to friendly people whenever I am out - the library is a regular stop on our schedule, Las Chivas always has people enjoying their morning coffee. There is the pool in the summer where many people hang out.

Eldorado has just wonderful amenties -- the school and the library are excellent, there is a new senior center, the community center always has meetings and events taking place, there is a dog run, a wilderness preserve for hiking which is fabulous. There is a bank, a postal substation, a supermarket, a fitness center, a video store, a little mall, and several restaurants. AND ... Santa Fe is only 15 minutes away! For us Eldorado is perfect!

Since we have lived here, we have been to the Fourth of July Parade and events at the community center, the Open House at the Fire Department, the ice cream social in August, several craft fairs, the Farmer's Market, and to hear several speakers at the library, as well as attend a movie there. I have been surprised at the low turnout at the events at the library -- they do a good job lining up some excellent programs. All of the events we have been to in Eldorado have been free -- and they feed you lots of free food at all of them.

I have been to Cochiti. While I LOVE the scenery and the expansive views out there, the housing area would not be for me. The houses are close together on small lots -- just what I left behind after 38 years of living like that in Texas, Michigan and Kansas. Cochiti seems VERY isolated for a person who likes proximity to the city and its amenties. I guess if you like to fish or play golf, Cochiti would be the place. To me it lacks all the charm of Eldorado.

But it's a good thing we don't all love Eldorado or all love Cochiti -- then we would all want to live in the same place and that would not be possible.

To ExSIgirl: As you can see, like all places, Eldorado is not for everyone. My husband and I dreamed of living in this exact place for many years, and so far it has not disappointed us a single bit. Others come here and like it somewhat, but eventually wish to move on. I know some people dislike it out here a lot...and can't wait to get out.

That is a decision you are going to have to make for yourself. I suggest as I always do, several visits at various times of the year before you make a final decision. Even then, living here will be different than visiting here. I can only speak for myself and my experience and not recommend it to anyone else, especially someone coming from a very different part of the country. This is not Vermont or New Jersey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe