Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 13,831 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My name is Elizabeth and I live in Alabama. My family and I are driving to California for the holidays and since my husband and I have been seriously thinking of moving to New Mexico, we thought this is a great opportunity to make a little detour and visit Santa Fe for at least half a day.
I've seen lots of pics of the Plaza and other sites in SF but I have no idea where to go or what to do. We realy have to stop for several hours, stretch our feet, eat, etc. But I feel if I don't "market" this tour the right way my family might not be impressed.

So, can you guys recommend any good places to eat, visit, sites, etc?

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:33 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,029,479 times
That's a tough one. You cannot do very much in half a day, so I guess I would say you should do the downtown area. Walk around the plaza, browse the shops or window shop (warning: prices will be high!), check out the Palace of the Governors if it is open when you are there (they have a nice gift shop I like with prices that are somewhat reasonable), go walk through St. Francis Cathedral (it is wrapped in plastic right now for renovations but you can go inside), see Loretta Chapel if you have time.

The Plaza area has some fantastic restaurants, but they are usually pricely in that area of town. I would suggest the Shed or the Plaza Cafe. My favorite restaurant is La Choza, and it is not real far from the Plaza, and is inexpensive -- kind of hard to find so you will need a GPS or map or ask someone directions.

Remember it is holiday time, and parking may be difficult, and there will be crowds.

And if you are planning to move to the Santa Fe area someday, keep in mind that the Plaza area is the "touristy" and pricey section of town -- it's a must see though and probably the best way to spend such a limited amount of time in the city.

HAVE FUN!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks a million Towanda, the info you gave is going to be very helpful. If we had enough time we would stay longer but we are also traveling with another family so we can only stop by. I already know I'll fall in love with the plaza and maybe next year we can drive to SF for at least a long weekend or something.

La Choza, that sounds like new mexican food, am I correct?

Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixaveth View Post
La Choza, that sounds like new mexican food, am I correct?
Yes, La Choza is New Mexican food. It has been our favorite place since the first time we went there.

Very affordable. Great food. Spicy green chile. Gives you a real good feel for the food that is popular in Santa Fe and most of New Mexico.

One comment - don't know if this is important to you -- maybe not at lunchtime and if you are driving: they do not have a full liquor license. They have margaritas that are made with agave wine instead of tequila. My husband likes them.

Here's their website.

Oh, one more thing. Their entrees come with posole instead of the usual rice. It's a good chance to try posole and see if you like it.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:41 AM

OMG!!! If I like it? Are you kidding me. . .I was born in California but my parents are from Colima, MEXICO and I lived there during my teenage yrs. I am one Pozole loving Mexican . And that agave wine you mention, sounds very familiar. The state of Colima, where I lived for 8 yrs, is about 2 hrs away from Guadalajara, Jalisco which is the area of Mexico that produces all agave products. When I lived in Colima I remember this extremly refreshing drink made from agave, non-alcoholic but very fermented. I will have to try that agave drink in La Choza to remember old times.

Gosh Towanda, you have no idea how much all this info means to me. I've told all my family and we are all exited about visiting SF but we are mostly looking forward to eating at La Choza. I'll check out the website.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:42 PM

974 posts, read 2,344,266 times
Just for the record I agree with Towanda's recommendations about how to spend a half-day in Santa Fe. Another good place for New Mexican food near the plaza is Tia Sophia's. While walking around the plaza look at the jewelry sold by Native American artists/jewelers under the portal in front of the Palace of Governors. If you see anything you like, don't be afraid to bargain with these Indians; most will come down a bit on their price. If nothing else, some of those folks are great talkers and it should be an interesting experience for your family.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Awesome, awesome information you guys. . .thanks. I'm so exited, we are leaving this evening so we should be in WONDERFUL Santa Fe by tomorrow afternoon or evening. Mapquest tells me it's about 19 hrs from Alabama to SF. So in a little over 24 hrs I will be strolling La Plaza, can't wait. . .I'm taking goooood pictures and buying postcards too. . .I'M SOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM

Elixaveth:

You have a perfectly WONDERFUL time!

And we want to hear ALL ABOUT IT when you return home.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:20 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,771 times
I don't want to highjack the thread, but I've been to Santa Fe twice and we've yet to stop and look around, as we can never find a danged parking spot!!! Got any suggestions??

Old 12-19-2008, 03:35 PM

That's the main reason we go to the Plaza so seldom (almost never). Parking there is ridiculous. Sometimes you have to drive around for a while. I am hoping with Elixaveth stopping there during the daytime she might get lucky and find a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe