Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,373 times

Advertisements

We have a discussion in the Burqué forum about a possible cell phone/driving ban. Anyone care to share thoughts/experiences with your city's legislation. From your experience, do you think the legislation has put any kind of dent in cell phone use while driving? Do you think the enforcement is still strong, or do you think it was a show at the beginning? Have you noticed a decrease in absurd driving, or do you still need Santo Niño de Atocha's intercession to safely navigate Agua Fria? Do hands free devices seem to help with people's attention to the road (compared to going without.). Do you think there's any point to legislating against behavior like this? If you're a cell user, did the legislation change your habits?

Last edited by ziaAirmac; 01-15-2009 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
We have a discussion in the Burqué forum about a possible cell phone/driving ban. Anyone care to share thoughts/experiences with your city's legislation. From your experience, do you think the legislation has put any kind of dent in cell phone use while driving? Do you think the enforcement is still strong, or do you think it was a show at the beginning? Have you noticed a decrease in absurd driving, or do you still need Santo Niño de Atocha's intercession to safely navigate Agua Fria? Do hands free devices seem to help with people's attention to the road (compared to going without.). Do you think there's any point to legislating against behavior like this? If you're a cell user, did the legislation change your habits?
It was a waste of time, and never should have been passed.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,373 times
Vinegaroon, do you mean you think the whole idea was inappropriate or that the execution was so poor it was a waste? Or both?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,132 times
Both.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,791 times
I know it has made a difference, how much I don't know. Many people I know don't talk on a cell while driving because it is illegal. What a concept...not doing something that is illegal. However, there are still a lot of drivers doing it and not much enforcement. I believe the local police had said they were going to step up enforcement, but I haven't read anything lately of the results.

People are going to disregard traffic laws, no matter which ones. Speeding, seat belts, traffic signs, etc. People have attitudes nowadays that they are better than the law and can disregard the laws because they think they are a better driver and can drive and talk at the same time. Or drive fast safely or drink and drive. Whatever they can rationalize is fine with them.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:35 PM

146 posts, read 453,142 times
There is one thing that everybody has in common, regardless of race, sex, age, education level, height or even weight. That is, we all believe we are better than average drivers!

As far as cell phones and driving is concerned, I have mixed feelings (I do not own a cell phone). I can say, I have personally witnessed drunk drivers driving better than some people on cell phones.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 AM

88 posts, read 283,033 times
We had a cell-phone related death here in Austin and even in San Antonio some time ago. This person allegedly was on the phone as she was driving on IH 35 in rush hour traffic, being careless. The phone slipped from her hand and she reached under her seat to retrieve it! She lost control of the car and hit a ditch going about 80 miles an hour. She was killed but her boyfriend survived. He's the one that issued the statement.

Pretty sad, huh? This happens here all the time. I've seen students near UT get almost run down by people driving and talking on the cell phone all the time. I commute to work and have seen people cut in front of buses as they're talking on the phone. It's resulted in near misses and "yikes" moments for us commuters.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
I don't see how anybody could believe that holding a cellphone to your ear is compatible with safe driving. Here in Los Angeles I can practically tell who is talking on their hand held cellphone just by observing how the car is being driven and not even looking at the driver.

We have a hands free only cellphone law in CA and from what I've seen in Los Angeles it's widely ignored. People being mostly the same everywhere I would be surprised if Santa Fe drivers are any more observant of the laws than Californians.

I think it's crazy to hold a cellphone to your ear and try to drive and talk and hold the phone. I'm not so sure it's even safe to use a hands free device, but I think that's a good compromise.

Personally I don't mind if somebody is holding a cellphone to their ear and drives off the highway and kills themselves (as in the post above), and I don't even have any problem with their passengers being killed, since they were at least passive participants and could have complained. However, probably most of the cellphone inattention accidents are in traffic, and probably most of the time innocent drivers or pedestrians are also involved in the accident, and these people deserve to have safe streets and highways.

I think that hand held cellphone driving is just as bad as drunken driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: