Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,568 times

Advertisements

I've decided to move to Santa Fe. I went to Arizona for a semester and then thought I wasn't quite ready to move away from home so I went back to El Paso. Living back at home I've realized I am most assuredly ready to get out. I've been to Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, etc etc and have quite a few friends going to school in Austin. None of the places seem to really fit me (as much as a town can fit an individual). Santa Fe and the southwest in general have always been my favorite place though. I'm young but it suits my interests and pace of life, not to mention my aesthetic preference. I'm going to take a few classes at SFCC (to satiate the rents) and find a job, but try to focus on writing and see where that leads me, if anywhere.

I want to rent out a bedroom or find a small studio, but I wanted to know what areas of Santa Fe I should be looking in (in terms of safety). Also, the best places to buy groceries (I tend to eat fresh and make my own food) and some good cheap restaurants/cafes etc (if any). Thanks for any help or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 AM

24 posts, read 84,101 times
I'm not sure your age, but areas in East Santa Fe are typically closer to the Plaza which has shops, restaurants, bars, etc. That is where I am looking for a place. Expect to spend no less than $750-$850 for a small 1 bedroom in that area though. Rent is high in Santa Fe, so be prepared. Jobs are pretty scarce as well, but you should be able to find something around town if you aren't too picky. As far as groceries, I know there is at least one Wild Oats (is that what it's still called?) I believe on St. Francis. Someone else can probably chime in and give you better info on that. Places to eat...sure, there are plenty of good places to eat in the plaza, my favorites right now are Blue Corn Cafe, Upper Crust Pizza, and Coyote Cafe. There are lots of other good places as well though. Santa Fe is a really great town. Don't get discouraged by all of the negative crap people put on here about it or any other city. I think some of them just have nothing better to. Hit me up if you have any other questions. I have a place about 100 miles North of Santa Fe and will be in town frequently but will also be moving down to Santa Fe hopefully around August or September.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,033,341 times
On your budget do not even consider living anywhere NEAR the Plaza. I am not familiar with rental prices but there are cheaper prices in town than the tourist, artsy, expensive area.

We buy as low priced as we can find for groceries. Trader Joes has healthy foods and is inexpensive. Smith's is reasonable and has nice produce. There is a little vegetable/fruit market on Cerillos near St. Michael's that is quite inexpensive, and there is Lowe's grocery which has low prices. Also a new produce/grocery is opening soon on Zafarano across from Home Depot which looks like it is going to have low prices. It is called Sunflower Farmer's Market. (http://www.sfmarkets.com/nm.html - broken link) Whole Foods and Wild Oats sell organic produce but they are consideralbly more expensive than the others I have mentioned.

Lots of inexpensive restaurants/cafes around town. And they are good places, not dumps.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM

I did not see where he said a budget? That is why I mentioned the plaza. There are a lot of places around the plaza for $800 and up. As you get further from that area it goes down a little for sure...to about $650 and up. I like the plaza area just because there is plenty to do and I enjoy walking around rather than having to drive. Just personal opinion. I'll have to remember the grocery places you've mentioned! They just put a new Lowe's in Chama to replace the old local grocery store that had the roof collapse from the snow! It is really nice though and prices seem decent.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,033,341 times
I guess I assumed all students are on a budget.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 28,576 times
The North side of town is considered the safest, but the rents are higher there. Craigs list is a good place to look.

The flying Star Cafe is opening in early May in the railyard and that will be a good, healthy, reasonable place to eat (and to meet people). There's a nice healthy place called the Stationhouse ( I think that's the name) in the railyard too- very good. And, yes, Trader Joes is a great place to shop. Oh, and the pizza at Il Vicino is good and reasonable.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:55 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,925 times
I disagree with the safey issue. Upon moving here I spoke personally with the Director of Crime Prevention in SF about safe areas. She said that there is no real "safe" or "unsafe" area. She said crime is spread throughout. Also..I had a hell of a time (and absolutely NO luck) finding a place on Craigslist.
Also, SFD, I consider reading back on some other "relocation" threads from the past. People have given some really great tips!
I SWEAR by Smiths for groceries! The one on Cerrillos gives you a discount on gas, too. I haven't been to trader joes (way out of my way) but I think Smiths is far cheaper and more convenient space wise than Albertsons! I think to each his own.
And... I'll also add as I do to all relocation forums (Because I wish someone would have told me..) that like 90% of apartments here rent on an income basis. They get tax credit for doing this and you must qualify to rent there. Meaning..you must make the bare minimum one could possibly make. And no begging, crying or pleading will get you in if you do not qualify. Believe me..I tried. It may not be hard to qualify if you are living on your own, however.
Don't know what else to tell you. Heard that Cafe Cafe makes a killer breakfast and so does The Pantry.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,404,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
I disagree with the safey issue. Upon moving here I spoke personally with the Director of Crime Prevention in SF about safe areas. She said that there is no real "safe" or "unsafe" area. She said crime is spread throughout. Also..I had a hell of a time (and absolutely NO luck) finding a place on Craigslist.
That's my experience here. I think there are certain blocks you wouldn't want to live but they are not in one particular location. It made it difficult when I moved here in '95. I knew someone that lived in South Capitol years ago and had a peeping Tom scaring her. And it's a beautiful neighborhood--expensive homes. I take a credit ceramics class at SFCC and two young students live on West Alameda. An instructor just found a house on craigslist and is moving in this weekend. When I moved back last year I rented a room month to month which I found on craigslist. There always seem to be many rooms for rent which might be a good place to start while you look for something more permanent. Thrifty Nickel lists places for rent too. Does the college have a list? SFCC is a treasure--inexpensive, beautiful campus and I've been happy with most of the teachers.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM

146 posts, read 453,377 times
How come I never get the honor of having a peeping tom show up at my place?!?

I guess it's true. The only two things that make me look more attractive are...alcohol or a dark room.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Haha Yeah I guess it could be taken as a compliment to have a peeping tom....

I just looked on craigslist yesterday and found dozens of places for rent. They are all around $750 and up so if you're looking for cheaper than that you will have a pretty hard time regardless, but there is plenty of stuff listed on there. Just FYI. I'm looking for a place too and will be going to look at a few of the places I found on craigslist this month actually. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe