Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,144 times

Advertisements

I have AT&T, but only because I have an iPhone. Coverage is ok downtown, inconsistent elsewhere. Even in my son's school, which is downtown, I can get no signal, but Verizon users get a strong signal.

I carry a pay-as-you-go verizon phone in the car for emergencies. If I could choose, it'd be Verizon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 05:42 PM

18,254 posts, read 25,929,548 times
I've been with Verizon since 1999. Have no desire to switch. With the exception of some of the reservations, I do well with my phone anywhere in NM.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 AM

291 posts, read 2,077,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexwriter View Post
If I have to change carriers and get a new phone I will, but I rather not. I like the iPhone, and I'd rather not get Verizon, since although they have good service, they aren't GSM, as are AT&T and T-Mobile. I like to have a GSM phone to use when we are in Europe.
Unfortunately, if you insist on staying with AT&T, you will not be using the best carrier available iin New Mexico. For some reason, it appears AT&T gave up in their New Mexico network. They did a good job of covering I-40 and I-25, but in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, they are not among the top carriers. In fact, in some areas, they contracted out coverage to a roaming partner, Commnet Wireless, who has better coverage than AT&T, themselves.

Alltel is indeed the coverage leader in most of New Mexico, but Verizon will take over Alltel in the eastern half of the state, and will sell off the Alltel properties in the western half, including the large cities. More reviews are available in New Mexico Cellular Carrier Reviews.

If you insist in GSM, T-mobile is a better choice than AT&T. But if you cannot let go of your iPhone, then you will need to accept AT&T's limitations.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,871,871 times
My wife uses Alltel and Verizon I think she has been using Alltel about 10 years and Verizon about three years. I can't remember what carrier she had that had bad coverage in many areas of NM.

BillRadio, thanks for that page, it seems my wife settled on two good carriers.

Rich

Old 04-24-2009, 07:23 PM

10 posts, read 42,317 times
Thanks again to everybody. It really sounds like Verizon is the best. However when I checked out their phones I didn't see any with WiFi. Does anybody have any experience with that? I know that AT&T 3G doesn't work in Santa Fe. Does Verizon's version work there? If not, how are Verizon smart phones at going online, as far as speed, etc.?

Thanks again,

Rex

Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM

12 posts, read 28,534 times
Default Santa Fe 3G Telecommunications Services - Cell - Wireless

Ive looked in a lot of places on the web but never really found any concrete information so I thought Id try here.

Im curious as to WHY Santa Fe doesnt have 3g coverage. Only Verizon shows Santa Fe as having 3g but I doubt thats the case since nobody I know has mentioned having 3g coverage with their Verizon phones.

Anyway, my question- why no 3g coverage here? Abq has sufficient 3g coverage and its annoying not to have cvg here.

Here's hoping someone has the answer!

-carrie

Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,707,001 times
It's expensive to implement, so they do it in the most profitable (largest) markets first.

Probably also has something to do with the tin-foil-hat society's fear of antennas.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,040,236 times
What is 3g and cvg?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 PM

293 posts, read 972,765 times
3g is a type of mobile phone coverage that offers additional features, specifically simultaneous use of data and voice services. There are also higher data transfer rates. 3g stands for 'third generation'.

Also, 'cvg' is just shortened 'coverage'.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 AM

12 posts, read 28,534 times
yeah, gotta agree about people fighting against towers. Ill try stopping by a Verizon or ATT store and asking them sup about 3g.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe