Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:15 AM

741 posts, read 2,926,548 times

Advertisements

I don't live in SF, but I've never had any issue with not having 3G (EVDO) coverage there when I've visited. My service is with Verizon, and I've rarely been disappointed with their coverage, particularly around ABQ/SF.

If you want reliable coverage (3G or not) in NM, its hard to argue against Verizon's network.

Chap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 AM

443 posts, read 1,348,951 times
I almost posted a new thread about this.

Visited Santa Fe this weekend for the first time in 4 years (used to live in Los Alamos) and I'm shocked SF doesn't have at&t 3G yet! With all the tourists that come through annually and the fact that the city itself has 70-90K people living in it I just can't believe at&t hasn't upgraded the towers yet. Surely it can't be the fact that SF residents don't want new towers...it shouldn't take any new towers. The should be able to upgrade the Edge transceivers on existing towers to 3G. Yes it costs money but, again, Santa Fe isn't a small town and it's the capital of New Mexico! My little town of 5k people 50 miles outside of Houston has 3G service now.

On the flip side, at least At&t has some decent service in Los Alamos now. Drove up there and got full bars (edge of course, no 3g) on my iphone. At&t used to be non-existent up the hill...they wouldn't even sell you an at&t phone if you lived in Los Alamos.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,197 times
Received a text from AT&T three hours ago informing me that 3G was now up and running in Santa Fe! Thank goodness, took long enough.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 AM

182 posts, read 709,310 times
There are no Chase banks in NM, either...too poor a state for Chase even to bother I have heard.

Maybe NM really IS the "Last Frontier" -- unless they still don't have 3G in Alaska, that is!

Whatever, when I turn off I-40 @ Clines Corner and head South to Vaughn and Roswell, NM, there is NO cell coverage out there on the high prairie of Eastern NM (but you must be on high alert, especially at night and approaching Roswell, for alien spacecraft). You definitely ARE in the wilderness...sort of (no trees to be seen anywhere though, just gently rolling hills, a few bushes and cattle here and there). If your vehicle breaks down/you need to call for help (or report an accident) -- or to report UFO sightings, or come across a UFO crash site -- good luck...unless you've got a CB radio (a legal SSB version preferred, BTW) and a trucker can assist, or the NM State Police, IF they still monitor CB Channel 19 anymore.

So in that case, I'd settle for 1G cell-phone coverage (if there is such a thing) from ANYONE! It's 2010 and Amerca STILL doesn't have 100% coverage.

That's outrageous!

Still, if people want a sparsely-settled/uncrowded/wide-open-spaces state, NM is high on the list for sure....which is one reason I like it. Just be sure to have a reliable vehicle when out in the boondocks and, avoid being an alien abductee if at all possible.

Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-22-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 03:01 PM

48 posts, read 89,989 times
Reason for bad cell coverage here:
The market is small and the carriers work from the largest markets down. Infrastructure is more profitable in large population centers.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowidle View Post
Reason for bad cell coverage here:
The market is small and the carriers work from the largest markets down. Infrastructure is more profitable in large population centers.
And here, in Santa Fe, we have lots of folks who think wireless signals are making them sick or are bad for them and therefore they try at every turn to fight new towers. One person here in town even sued their neighbor because they wanted an injunction to force them to turn off their iPhone because it was making her sick. Or so she said.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM

681 posts, read 1,212,258 times
To resurrect an 8 yo thread......has anything changed with cell service in the SF area since this thread was last active? We will likely be relocating to the area next spring/summer and currently use AT&T....but I wouldn't hesitate to dump them for a better option.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:16 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,709,326 times
Coverage can be spotty in areas. My T-Mobile service in Santa Fe randomly cuts out, not sure about AT&T. My father opted to use an unlocked phone with Consumer Cellular that can use AT&T or T-Mobile networks to improve coverage. If you find you have issues with AT&T by itself that would be an option.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:25 AM

62 posts, read 100,303 times
Does Consumer Cellular get good coverage in New Mexico? (I've alway heard Verizon has the best coverage BUT they cost almost twice as much as Consumer Cellular and I'm trying to save some money.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe