Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:43 PM

9 posts, read 33,848 times

Advertisements

Moving to the general area between Santa Fe & Taos (and I know that covers a wide swath) Santa Cruz struck us as nice on a drive through in the spring and I haven't found much "bad" info on the immediate area but have few speciifics. Weather seems warmer than Santa Fe (at least in the summer) Please enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,725 times
Yea in the Espanola Valley you mean.

I grew up there, you will love it. People are friendly, small town(Espanola) where everyone know's each other. Great culture and what not..

Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 AM

293 posts, read 971,668 times
I don't know much about Santa Cruz, but did want to mention that it's pretty far from most places to work in case you'll need to find a job.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM

No, It is in the Espanola city limits, it is a bankers town.. That town has soo many banks for its size. The gaming industry in Norther New Mexico is also what keeps it alive.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 33,848 times
Default Santa Cruz Slim

Thanks...keep it coming. We couldn't remember if we had seen large grocery stores or chain stores, maybe just Mom & Pop type businesses.
Fortuantely, no need to find a job. Self-employed but requiring about 10 days on the road each month. That said: anybody out there commuting from SF to Albuquerque want to reveal their thoughts or experiences?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM

293 posts, read 971,668 times
Many people commute between SF and ABQ. Depending on where you live/work, the drive is an hour to an hour and a half. It's mostly highway driving, and the congestion isn't nearly as bad as anywhere on the East Coast. That said, 25 gets shut down or virtually shut down several times a winter due to snow or accidents and on those days, your commute will be really annoying. My husband did the ABQ to SF commute for two years and didn't mind it, but the two plus hours a day in the car took a toll on him and we moved up here this past winter. He's a much happier person now that he's not driving 110 miles a day. I have heard that the commute from SF to ABQ is a little worse because there's more traffic, but am not sure if that's true.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mornar8727 View Post
Thanks...keep it coming. We couldn't remember if we had seen large grocery stores or chain stores, maybe just Mom & Pop type businesses.
Fortuantely, no need to find a job. Self-employed but requiring about 10 days on the road each month. That said: anybody out there commuting from SF to Albuquerque want to reveal their thoughts or experiences?
There is a Wal-Mart in Espanola, Like I said Santa Cruz is apart of Espanola. A city of 10,000+ and is apart of the Santa Fe Metropolitan Area. Espanola also has tons of fast food and banks,..if you havent noticed.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM

974 posts, read 2,344,735 times
"anybody out there commuting from SF to Albuquerque want to reveal their thoughts or experiences?"

No one's mentioned it yet, but the new Railrunner train is a good option for commuting to Abq from Santa Fe. It's around 1-1/4 hours depending on which stop you get on/off. Also there are shuttle buses to the Abq airport so if your flights are well-timed, you can hop the train and make it to the airport in time to hop your flight. I don't think there're plans to extend the Railrunner to Espanola, but there has been talk about it.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,106 times
is it safe for elders to live there. just inquiring, I am a new mexico artist ,retired with my mom here and need a peaceful healthy setting for she and I , would santa cruz be a good place for us ?

Old 02-18-2015, 05:31 PM

974 posts, read 2,344,735 times
There are some nice properties out that way, and it's pretty lush in the river valleys. Rightly or wrongly, the Espanola area has a bad rep due to drugs. Presbyterian Espanola Hospital has a pretty good reputation. Depending on location, the property could be on Indian land so water and road rights will need to be investigated. At this time some title companies will not issue title insurance to properties on Indian land because of legal access issues (yes, even if the property is located on a county road).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe