Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Pye

67 posts, read 188,284 times

Advertisements

Aries, you obviously loathe dogs.

I originally posted this thread to find out if I could safely walk my dogs off the leash in NM, hoping to get input from fellow dog owners.

Why don't you start your own thread: "I obsessively hate dogs. Discuss" - you can elaborate on all the doggie habits you despise: crotch poking, slobbering, bottom sniffing, French kissing, etc.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 AM

293 posts, read 971,328 times
Pye - it seems like it comes down to 1) everyone agrees that it's safe to take dogs hiking here in Santa Fe, and to take them hiking off leash as well. 2) some people would prefer that dog owners keep their dogs on-leash while hiking because it affects the experience for hikers without dogs.

Best of luck on your move here to SF!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Pye

67 posts, read 188,284 times
Thanks! It seems it's pretty safe from a wildlife point of view - just got to watch out for irate hikers! Here we get joggers and they bore the dogs - they ignore them. The thing that really gets the dogs upset is when we bump into mushroom gatherers: they always wear droopy hats for some reason (and every dog knows people wearing droopy hats are suspicious) and they lurk in the woods, carrying bags... My dogs are convinced mushroom people are all serial killers and they do bark at them, but keep their distance.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
I LOVE dogs. I ADORE dogs. I have worked in dog rescue for a decade.

BUT...I do not like strange dogs jumping on me when I am out someplace. I don't like being licked by strange dogs. Owners who allow their dogs to do this to strangers do not have control of their dogs ... and should not have them out in public off the leash.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:01 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye View Post

I originally posted this thread to find out if I could safely walk my dogs off the leash in NM, hoping to get input from fellow dog owners.

Why don't you start your own thread: "I obsessively hate dogs. Discuss" - you can elaborate on all the doggie habits you despise: crotch poking, slobbering, bottom sniffing, French kissing, etc.

Thank you.
You couldn't be more wrong, Pye. I LOVE dogs, otherwise why would I have owned them? I have "dog-sat" for several friends and neighbors, and I'm a regular fan of the "Dog Whisperer" (a TV program about training dog owners and rehabilitating their pets which they screwed up by treating them like "children" instead of dogs). What I "loathe" are dog owners who think basic manners and courtesy do not apply to them, who think that perfect strangers are are eagerly waiting to become as intimate with their pets as they are while hiking in the wilderness. I can see now that any attempt to make you understand the distinction is futile. You are the classic American dog owner who think that rules, boundaries, and limitations do not apply to your dogs. Join the crowd.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye
Nowhere in any post by aries63
did they give me the impression that they loathe dogs.

I've rarely seen someone get so defensive so fast - for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye
Why don't you start your own thread:
"I obsessively hate dogs. Discuss" - ....
It might be better if you started your own thread:

"Why I have the right to do anything I want with my
dogs to anyone I want to bother, scare, or annoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon
... now children, they should be on leashes at all times.
Right. They cut the switchbacks and cause erosion.

Quote:
If you don't want to see dogs while hiking, please don't go hiking.
Absolutely right.
Hiking with and around dogs is a fact of life.
Dogs love to hike. The exercise is good for them too.

I've seen dogs off leash under control.
I've also seen dogs on a leash not under control.

Dogs under control come back when called - immediately.
If they don't - they aren't. Obviously yours aren't. Use a leash.

I put up with them, but reserve the right to pepper spray or
shoot one that is not under control and appears vicious.

Oh, and refrain from posting about how I shoot dogs that sniff my
or any other crotch. I never said that and you know it. I do see
that you have a habit of putting words in people's mouths.

You got your question answered. The defensive posts are whiney.

Last edited by mortimer; 04-14-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
In today's Santa Fe news:
Quote:
Workers spot rattlesnakes on Spur Trail

Santa Fe County workers spotted seven rattlesnakes while working on the Spur Trail this week, Open Space and Trails director Beth Mills said Thursday.

Warning signs have been placed on the trail, which begins at Richards Avenue and Avenida del Sur and connects to the Rail Trail just south of Santa Fe Community College.

Mills speculated that workers might have inadvertently disturbed a den, but she said she thought it was important to alert trail users that they might encounter the poisonous snakes.

"We wanted to put people on heightened awareness when they are out there," Mills said. "People should keep track of their animals and toddlers."

Anyone bit by a rattlesnake should call 911.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Aries63 is right. Keep your dogs on the leash.
I keep my Catahoula on his leash if not, he'll bolt!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
... if I run into ... Mortimer I hope they give him a thorough crotch sniff
As long as it's in a non-threatening manner,
I really kinda like the sensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever
I keep my Catahoula on his leash if not, he'll bolt!
Catahoula? -- I had to google that.

It looks like a cool dog.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
As long as it's in a non-threatening manner,
I really kinda like the sensation.

Catahoula? -- I had to google that.

It looks like a cool dog.
You find them mainly in Louisiana and there seems to be a cult in Austin as well. He has two blue (actually cracked) glass eyes. They are bred for herding.

I actually lost him for a couple of hours up in the mountains this past Tuesday because he's a runner! Glad to get him back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe