Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 37,138 times

Advertisements

We are vacationing in Sante Fe NEXT WEEK!!! (nothing like waiting until the last minute to make plans...grin) We would like to sample some ethnic restarants while there. Please, no one insult me on this, but budget is rather important, so we would like suggestions for a meal that doesn't break the bank --and we have two teens. (the "bank" is close to "broke" most of the time...hee hee!!!)

If you would, I woud also appreciate a price range per plate not including the extras like drinks, appetizers, etc...

Location might not be such a bad idea either...:-)
thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 07:11 AM

57 posts, read 318,451 times
Ethnic? Like African cuisine? Native American? Sit down?

For Mexican & Northern New Mexican . . .tons. Can never remember the name of the place, but it's near the Baskin Robins on Cerrillos near St. Mike's/Osage. Great calabicitos.

More a lunchtime counter venue.

Guadalajara Cafe (Mexican) further down off Cerrillos uses to be pretty good and cheap. Haven't been there in awhile, and last time . . . so, so.

The Cowgirl off Guadalupe (near the corner of Guadalupe & Aztec) is fun with good food. Not sure if it meets the ethnic criteria, but no one does Okra better. Prices, hmmm, I'm guessing entrees begin at $9.

Piccolino (Italian) way down Agua Fria gets rave reviews. It used to a Church's Chicken. You'd never guess it.

I'm a big fan of the Tito Shrimp burritos at Bumble Bees (on Guadalupe and Cerrillos). One is easily enough for two. Again, more lunch than dinner.

A good website for Santa Fe Foodies is:

http://www.mouthofwonder.com with their top picks here: http://www.mouthofwonder.com/archives/2006_10_01_archive.htm (broken link)

Old 05-14-2007, 08:04 AM

271 posts, read 1,122,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmom View Post
We are vacationing in Sante Fe NEXT WEEK!!! (nothing like waiting until the last minute to make plans...grin) We would like to sample some ethnic restarants while there. Please, no one insult me on this, but budget is rather important, so we would like suggestions for a meal that doesn't break the bank --and we have two teens. (the "bank" is close to "broke" most of the time...hee hee!!!)

If you would, I woud also appreciate a price range per plate not including the extras like drinks, appetizers, etc...

Location might not be such a bad idea either...:-)
thanks,
Santa Fe is expensive and more so in the downtown area. Ethnic restaurants, except Chinese are not inexpensive. There are several restaurants that are less expensive than downtown along Cerrillos and in the shopping malls.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:27 AM

179 posts, read 782,351 times
The Cowgirl (I believe they have a website too). I'm a huge fan of Tomasitas (down the street from the Cowgirl, close to the Santa Fe train station). Also, another favorite is Del Charro, if you enter at the corner, you are walking into the bar. Del Charro is the restaurant attached to the Inn of the Governors. Was home to the $5 margarita, the price increased a little but hey, they give you the shaker and it's enough for a little more than 2 margaritas. Limited lunch menu but everything is tasty and for the most part nothing is over $5 or $6 per plate. Very inexpensive. For breakfast, Tia Sophia's. On Saturdays, don't be surprised to see a line at the door waiting to get a table here. Tia Sophia's is only open for breakfast and lunch and closed on Sundays. Inexpensive and very good. Enjoy your trip and let us know where you went and your reviews.

Julia2sf - Thanks for the link. Nice to know.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 AM

261 posts, read 1,662,621 times
Speaking of ethnic restaurants, are there any south Asian (Indian/Afgani/Pakistani) restaurants in the Santa Fe area, where I could find things like hummus, falafel, kebabs, biriyani, etc?

I'm looking at moving to Santa Fe in July and would miss this type of food, at least until I develop a taste for local cuisine.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 PM

271 posts, read 1,122,659 times
Don't forget that Santa Fe caters to the tourists, there is an excellent Indian restaurant in downtown. Italian, French, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Korean, Thai and even Mexican restaurants can be found in different parts of the city. I had excellent shushi on Cerrillos Road and on St Michael's. I didn't think I could find fresh fish in Santa Fe, but I did. I also had a excellent Mexican dinner at "Potrillos" on Cerillos Rd. Santa Fe is a small but very cosmopolitan city.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:23 PM

3,011 posts, read 9,993,582 times
acmom:

I guess this is just me ..... but I am wondering why you would visit Santa Fe and look for ethnic restaurants?

Wouldn't you want to sample some of the local New Mexican cuisine while you are there? The city has a very large number of excellent New Mexican restaurants and everyone has their favorites.

And....the ones my husband and I go to are NOT expensive....but they are GOOD.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Falafel in Santa Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
Speaking of ethnic restaurants, are there any south Asian (Indian/Afgani/Pakistani) restaurants in the Santa Fe area, where I could find things like hummus, falafel, kebabs, biriyani, etc?

I'm looking at moving to Santa Fe in July and would miss this type of food, at least until I develop a taste for local cuisine.
Having short-term memory recall problems these days, but there's a place in the Design Center (off Guadalupe/Sandoval) that has pretty darn good - and I do mean GOOD - authentic Lebanese-style falafel. (And Egyptian too, presumably the distinction being fava versus garbonzo beans?) And cheap! There's also the Pyramid Cafe off Coronado Road, but I prefer the Design Center place.

It's a pretty extensive menu, but I've never gotten past the falafel so couldn't tell you all that they have.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:51 PM

[quote=jersey2nm;713432]The Cowgirl (I believe they have a website too). I'm a huge fan of Tomasitas (down the street from the Cowgirl, close to the Santa Fe train station).

A little New Mexico history . . . Tia Sophia's, Tomasitas, and THAT place in DeVargas mall (short-term memory recall issues again) are, or at least once, were owned and run by three sisters.

Of Greek origin.

Their mom ran a famous New Mexican restaurant off Route 66 for many years. Maybe the old timers will remember its name.

Tomasitas was originally housed on Hickox Street, now occupied by "Dave's Not Here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: