Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:20 PM

16 posts, read 62,450 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to New Mexico. Are there any nice towns between SF and Taos? Low crime rate! Abiquiu? Any suggestions? Thanks. Any information on Taos would be appreciated also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 11:38 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,699 times
Abiquiu never did seem like much of a town whenever I passed through there. It is more as you are going up toward Tierra Amarillo then toward Taos. I do know it isn't far from Espanola and you don't want in or near that place. You know the whole area north of Santa Fe does get a good amount of snow in the winter but has perfect summers! It that doesn't bother you, then it is a nice area to live. Angel Fire is a small town that is beautiful and it has condos which I recommend since you wont have to worry about all that snowplowing. There are plenty of things to do there. Golfing, hiking, biking, tennis and such. Red River is beautiful but isolated and you might not like that. If you are looking for a bigger mountain town, then look into Pagosa, Colorado, just north of the NM border.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:56 PM

184 posts, read 1,211,955 times
I think I'd rent for a year in Angel Fire before I bought. Sometimes it is just better to do that to see if you really like that much snow.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:40 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,459 times
How about between Chimayo and Santa Fe?

North of Santa Fe is there neighborhoods/areas you would suggest that are safer?

The other area I was curious about was the more rural area east of Santa Fe. I know it is more country living and thought it would be a bit more laid back.

Thanks for any info you can give!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
According to ABC News, Chimayo, a town of 4100 people, had 85 heroin overdose deaths between '95-'98. That's 2% of the population.

Around Pecos, Bernal, and other little towns on the road east to Las Vegas NM there appears to be a quiet mountain lifestyle, but probably similar housing costs to SF.

It all depends what you want in your living area. Places like Tierra Amarilla, Abiquiu, and Ojo Caliente are _really_ small. Make sure you're content with one sheriff policing a 50-mile radius around your house, the few kids in the area having nothing to do and no job (hence vandalism), and zilch for cell phone coverage.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
According to ABC News, Chimayo, a town of 4100 people, had 85 heroin overdose deaths between '95-'98. That's 2% of the population.

Around Pecos, Bernal, and other little towns on the road east to Las Vegas NM there appears to be a quiet mountain lifestyle, but probably similar housing costs to SF.

It all depends what you want in your living area. Places like Tierra Amarilla, Abiquiu, and Ojo Caliente are _really_ small. Make sure you're content with one sheriff policing a 50-mile radius around your house, the few kids in the area having nothing to do and no job (hence vandalism), and zilch for cell phone coverage.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
There are villages between Santa Fe and Taos, but with the exception of Espanola, there really isn't much to speak of that would qualify as a town.

Espanola does have box-stores but otherwise it is not a very engaging place.

Little villages, not incorporated, like Pilar, are really nice--but you can't get any services (and I mean none) in the villages between SF and Taos.

Abiquiu, Chimayo, etc are on a different set of country roads (not rte 68).

Abiquiu is breathtakingly beautiful and has some farms and wine-growing, but it has only one gas station/store and a very attractive Inn. The other small, cosy towns going East are delightful, but no services.

Here in the area--it is Taos or Santa Fe, and Espanola for a Lowes.

People travel great distances for groceries, etc if they don't live in one of these three towns/cities.

Here's a map of Taos County

http://www.taos-history.org/map-1.html

Here's a map of Mora County

http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/NM_Mora.htm

Here's a map of Arriba County (to see Abiquiu)

http://www.huntel.com/~artpike/abiquiu3.htm (broken link)

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-22-2007 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: added maps

Old 01-22-2007, 08:29 PM

I dont mind a drive to get groceries or extra curriculars etc. ... if it is a safe town with outdoor things to do then that makes up for it. I have found in other places that small towns likethis also have a lot of sports to keep the kids busy along with the outdoors activities. I guess its a matter of finding that town that is drivable to the city and safe.
On my list is East of Santa Fe and hopefully something within driving to Taos. El Rito or Valdez I wonder about for Taos.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
I really hope you find what it is that will make you happy and has the amenities for you and your teen.

I can only speak from my own perspective. El Rito (we have two) one in Rio Arriba County, near to Abiquiu, and another smaller El Rito north of Taos (up near Questa). The El Rito near Abiquiu is in a beautiful area and has a large artist colony--but it is even more remote than other towns you've mentioned--a winding, long road from there to Taos.

Valdez is on rte 68, far easier to access and might be a possibility for you. I only drive through it, and occasionally admire one or two turns on the mountain road (without stopping--too dangerous).

My only other suggestion is Madrid, south of Santa Fe. Although small, it has a good reputation, and actually is a town with a tiny fun center. I know some families who have lived there with children and the children, now young adults are healthy, and well rounded. It is close enough to Santa Fe to possibly make some differences in services.

New Mexico is not highly populated, and so many of the small towns suffer because of service scarcity. All the small towns off the roads from here, places like Mora, Truchas, and others, are lovely--but driving in the kind of weather we've had this winter (4 snowstorms in 14 days) make them feel too remote. I live on a dirt road, at the Ranchos de Taos and Taos town line and these are not cleared. I had to use my 4-wheel drive to get in or out (something I have rarely had to do in all the years, and hard winters in New England).

Good luck in your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I dont mind a drive to get groceries or extra curriculars etc. ... if it is a safe town with outdoor things to do then that makes up for it. I have found in other places that small towns likethis also have a lot of sports to keep the kids busy along with the outdoors activities. I guess its a matter of finding that town that is drivable to the city and safe.
On my list is East of Santa Fe and hopefully something within driving to Taos. El Rito or Valdez I wonder about for Taos.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:40 AM

Is Costilla and El Rito (near Taos) very similar? It seems like the El Rito you talked about is near Ojo C. butyou cannot drive straight through to Taos, I am wondering what the drive from there to SF is like.
What do you think of Valle Escondido? Is it as beautiful as the other area you spoke of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe