Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times

Advertisements

Excellent NY Times article. Thanks for posting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
If you open the "multimedia" graphic in above-mentioned article you'll see something funny... the map of NM shows Albuquerque where Santa Fe is supposed to be.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,888 times
Regardless of whether there's a problem or not, there is still the matter of right vs. wrong in our fundamental approach to issues. The end doesn't necessarily justify the means. It's hard to get past the inflammatory and biased media- and politically-driven hype regarding immigration in order to authentically discuss the real issue(s).

Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 AM

24 posts, read 40,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Regardless of whether there's a problem or not, there is still the matter of right vs. wrong in our fundamental approach to issues. The end doesn't necessarily justify the means. It's hard to get past the inflammatory and biased media- and politically-driven hype regarding immigration in order to authentically discuss the real issue(s).
It's not immigration. It's ILLEGAL immigration. Illegal is illegal. That means breaking the law. That's the real issue. Try to illegally migrate into mexico, and see what happens. Not pretty.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,256,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkfrost View Post
It's not immigration. It's ILLEGAL immigration. Illegal is illegal. That means breaking the law. That's the real issue. Try to illegally migrate into mexico, and see what happens. Not pretty.
I never met anyone before who hasn't broken any laws... definitely nice to meet you. I never met anyone before, either, who felt that all laws were equitable or humane. (Thank God we didn't live when slavery was the law, right?) Regardless of legality, I love what our Mexican immigrant neighbors, legal or not, do for our country. They are good friends and I will treat them as such. We made a wise choice when we 'acquired' a huge chunk of Mexico. Keep up your good law-abiding work!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:43 AM

560 posts, read 1,715,394 times
Quote:
the native Hispanics I know dont want any kind of affiliation with Mexicans, to Spanish people the Mexicans might as well be Black cause I have heard alot of nasty things about both in my time. I've actually heard more Spanish people talk negative of the Mexicans than I have Whites.
I'm not condoning nasty things that are said, but I understand where this is coming from. Santa Fe kind of has it's own little bubble and is very accepting of everyone... which is a good thing. A lot of Hispanics have been here legally for many generations and want to separate themselves from Hispanics that just came here illegally. On a national scale I do feel very strongly that there is a growing sentiment of racism against Hispanics and it's because of illegal immigration issue. I'm half Caucasian and half Hispanic... there have been times when I really wished I didn't have the Hispanic surname because of this. I just turned 30 and even I can see how racial tensions toward Hispanics has increased since the 80s or 90s. It's sad because I really don't think 95% of people care that Mexicans want to immigrate to the U.S. It just pisses everyone off that they do it illegally. My Mexican, Irish, and French ancestors all worked their butts off and came here legally... why should modern day Mexicans get a pass? At least that's the way I see it.

If there was a modern day version of Ellis Island along the southern border that everyone went through, I honestly believe that the overwhelming majority of Americans would not have a problem with millions of new LEGAL Mexican immigrants... the more the merrier.

Of course controlling the entire border and building an Ellis Island-like facility that welcomes everyone is a fair and logical solution that politicians on both sides will never accept.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,533 times
Default New Mexico driver license for illegals: how easy is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Thanks. Don't know why my link didn't work. Glad you caught it!
You somehow got "http://" twice at the start of the address, which happens when you use the "Insert link" button that adds http:// to whatever you paste into the dialog box. A bit of a tidium but great article though grateful for the link.
Even the president agrees there is a need for reform on the system of immigration. Arizona's new law may have speed things up.
Governor Richardson's comment just after the president's speech caught my eye though: how easy it is for an undocumented foreigner to get a New Mexico driver licence? He mentioned something in the tune of "rules for checking status when issuing driver licence in New Mexico aren't that strict". I live in a state that considers something similar to Arizona's law and Florida is among the first to adopt new stricter requirements for identification of immigrants that apply for driver license. Which often comes down to "no green card- no license".

Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest liberal View Post
After seeing the immigration law changes in Arizona, I am really glad I moved to New Mexico and look forward to learning more about the attitudes and acceptance of this state
Would you like to buy my house so that I can move to AZ?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
My Mexican, Irish, and French ancestors all worked their butts off and came here legally... why should modern day Mexicans get a pass? At least that's the way I see it.
Of course controlling the entire border and building an Ellis Island-like facility that welcomes everyone is a fair and logical solution that politicians on both sides will never accept.
Those were different times than the times we are living in now. How many gang- related murders were commited in Ciudad Juarez when your ancestors immigrated to United States? How many US corporations offshored parts of their manufacturing processes to underdeveloped countries that totaly lack enforcement of enviromental and labor law at that time? Was any foreign capital bombed to oblivion and then invaded by US troops at the time your ancestors stepped on this land? You just can't compare.
There were times when people were offered to go to US (South Europe), there were guys knocking on doors asking people if they wanted to go to US, Australia, Canada and rarely anyone accepted the offer. They all had their jobs and standard of living and were comfortable where they are. That was the 1960's. Now?
Is Santa Fe a wine- loving city with exciting restaurant scene? How much are restaurant chains dominant there?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 18,043 times
Default Santa Fe

Has had several ICE raids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe