Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM

974 posts, read 2,351,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiek View Post
Thanks for the replies to my plea, it's much appreciated! I have one more question for any locals that might be reading this.

Supposing I can, by some miracle, afford to purchase a home in Santa Fe- Is the value of my property likely to increase, what do the current trends look like? Anyone sold there home in Santa Fe recently, if so how long was your home on the market and did you get what you were asking?

susiek - Unfortunately there's no simple answer to your question. Some houses in some parts of the area are experiencing increases in home values (yes, even in this sluggish market), while others (the majority) see their values decreasing. As a general rule going by historical data, property values in Santa Fe can be counted on to rise fairly steadily for a whole host of reasons. This year has seen some dramatic price reductions in most parts of the area, but there are others where we see prices rising a tad or the sellers remaining pretty firm (depends on whether they have to sell or not). There are some terrific values on the market now for those in a position to buy.
So, it all depends on where you'd want to live. If you have an idea, or just want to get an idea, you can write me privately and I'll run some searches for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,136 times
Santa Fe housing is expensive! 500k and up. Food prices are also a bit high and the tax rate in SF is higher than the rest of the state.

Plan a trip and decide for yourself! You can check home prices online.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankP View Post
Santa Fe housing is expensive! 500k and up. Food prices are also a bit high and the tax rate in SF is higher than the rest of the state.

Plan a trip and decide for yourself! You can check home prices online.

Good luck!
I'm sure HankP means well, and his advice (which would apply to anyone) to come for a visit and check home prices on line is well-taken. I would certainly differ on the reference to prices. Depending on location, you can find even new homes for under $200K, and the great majority of homes for sale and being sold are well under the $500K mark he mentions.

As for the tax rate, I believe Ruidoso has the highest rate. Taos and Red River and Espanola and other places as well have the same rate as the city of Santa Fe. We're higher than Albuquerque by close to 1.2% - so for every $100 you spend on taxable goods and services it'll cost you a whopping $1.18 more in Santa Fe.....

Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,409,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
I'm sure HankP means well, and his advice (which would apply to anyone) to come for a visit and check home prices on line is well-taken. I would certainly differ on the reference to prices. Depending on location, you can find even new homes for under $200K, and the great majority of homes for sale and being sold are well under the $500K mark he mentions.

As for the tax rate, I believe Ruidoso has the highest rate. Taos and Red River and Espanola and other places as well have the same rate as the city of Santa Fe. We're higher than Albuquerque by close to 1.2% - so for every $100 you spend on taxable goods and services it'll cost you a whopping $1.18 more in Santa Fe.....
I'd give you points but I can't. I was tired of responding to these kind of posts so glad you did. Taxes are cheap compared to the east and the living is so much better. New homes across from me start at $179,000.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,957,996 times
Here are some New Mexico Cost Of Living stats pulled from this site (City-Data) in order from Largest Population down with random cities selected. I don't fully agree with the stats, but, here they are:
Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Albuquerque: 93.8 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Albuqu...#ixzz2L4xBA2eX

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Las Cruces: 86.2 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Las-Cr...#ixzz2L4xvLJ4B

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Rio Rancho: 94.7 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Rio-Ra...#ixzz2L4y8Ggv3

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Santa Fe: 99.8 (near average, U.S. average is 100)[left]
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...#ixzz2L4xh0Mco

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Ruidoso: 86.3 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Ruidos...#ixzz2L4yQ3nvQ

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Corrales: 96.3 (near average, U.S. average is 100)[left]
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Corral...#ixzz2L4ydS0EG

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in White Rock: 95.1 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/White-...#ixzz2L4ytYHbY
Rich

Old 07-13-2013, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 10,052 times
Thumbs down Santa Fe Is Expensive In All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiek View Post
My partner and I have been dreaming of moving to Santa Fe for about a year now. As a young lesbian couple, we are excited about the possibility of raising a family in a city that welcomes diversity and has a lot of culture. I am a little scared about the cost of living after reading through some of these forums. Is it expensive to live there in general or just to buy a home?

For example, how much is a movie ticket, a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk, dinner for two at a family style resturant??

And as for the job oppurtunities out there-

I am looking to work with the elderly or retirement population. Ideally as an Activities Director or Adult Daycare Director. Any thoughts as to how diffucult it will be to get into this field?

My partner is looking to start her own Party Planning Buisness. She has only 1 year experience in the field but is excellent at what she does and we are both willing to sacrafice in order for her to get her feet in the door in a new city. Any locals who know if Santa Fe is already overrun with Party Planners? I am hoping someone can give us some advise as to how we might actuall be able to make this dream a reality!
You will not be able to afford Santa Fe. You can say you live there but it is expensive. Raising a family in Santa Fe?? No way. Santa Fe is not a place for a "family." There is nothing to do for children. I moved there 10 years ago with mine and my boys had nothing to do. It's not the place you want for that. Buy a home?? Forget it! The average price of a home in Santa Fe is around $250,000 and that's for a small condo/townhome. If you want a home, look at a pricetag more like $500,000 if you want to be in a good neighborhood. Movie tickets for a matinee are $7.50. For two the cost with a drink or popcorn would run you around $25. Gas is almost $4 a gallon. Milk is almost $5 a gallon. Dinner for two? $75 to $125. Lunches run around $25 to $40. No job opportunities at all. Good luck with that and stand in line with those that live there that have been out of work. No elderly or retirement in Santa Fe. Possibly Albuquerque but not Santa Fe. You won't be able to get in this field in Santa Fe because there is no demand for it. Party planning?? Santa Fe is too small for that. I doubt you could even do that in Albuquerque. New Mexico isn't a party planning state! California or Vegas maybe but New Mexico? Seriously. The only thing you can do is visit New Mexico and make your stays long enough to where you can actually live like the locals. Experience what they experience and see what's going on. I wouldn't uproot yourselves and move to a place that you have to leave, broke, in a few years. It's not what you think it is regardless of what you've heard. New Mexico isn't a happy place. It's an oppressed state and not as welcoming as you might think.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Basha - Your responses are ludicrous and not helpful to folks who are seriously trying to get correct information.
Why are you wasting your time and ours?
And do you know you're responding to a post that's six years old?

Old 07-21-2013, 12:05 PM

60 posts, read 130,339 times
I have moved here from Chicago. SANTA FE is CHEAP!!!!

Now, this is not compared to the rest of NM, but compared to the following:

East Coast - ALL
Chicago
California
Seattle
etc.

My taxes are less than 20% of what they were on a similar sized property. The house cost just a little more than half as much. The energy costs are MUCH less! etc.

Remember what you are comparing things to.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Basha - Your responses are ludicrous and not helpful to folks who are seriously trying to get correct information.
Why are you wasting your time and ours?
And do you know you're responding to a post that's six years old?
Dear GreatSantafe , all opinions here get to be heard and they are NOT wasting anyone's time.

Your opinion differs from Basha's- that's ALL .

IT IS HELPFUL , not a waste of time or ludicrous to have many many diverse opinions here.
On a 6 year old thread or a 6 day old thread , no matter. IMO.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:30 PM

102,353 posts, read 108,635,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownDriver View Post
I have moved here from Chicago. SANTA FE is CHEAP!!!!

Now, this is not compared to the rest of NM, but compared to the following:

East Coast - ALL
Chicago
California
Seattle
etc.

My taxes are less than 20% of what they were on a similar sized property. The house cost just a little more than half as much. The energy costs are MUCH less! etc.

Remember what you are comparing things to.
It's not cheap if your work is tied to the local economy. People who work for non-profits that are funded by grants from the East or West coasts are on a NYC or CA pay scale. Everyone else is on a Kansas or Tennessee payscale, having to pay high rents. It's somewhat of a resort town economy, though nowhere nearly as extreme as the CO resort towns (Aspen, Telluride, etc.) Pay is low, rent & real estate prices are high. Locals with kids to support tend to have to work two jobs; especially single moms or single dads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe