Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 AM

879 posts, read 1,957,382 times

Advertisements

i had a very interesting experience in Ellenton the other day. I spent all of 20 minutes there making a pitstop at McD's on the way from Tampa to Sarasota. All seemed a bit bass ackwards to me. Had DH seriously questioning our decision to move to FL! We were near the outlets so it seemed an ok place to stop and feed the hungry little bears in the backseat. Besides the odd staff and lack of organization/service I was asked by a customer if I am from NY. When i said "Yes" he then asked me if i speak Arabic. huh??? I said "No" and he said I "look like I do"

I definitely have a mediterranean look but not middle eastern. Well, I guess if you don't know the difference, maybe. I dunno. Had me wondering... last 2 out of 3 times i flew out of Tampa they pulled me out to stick me in the xray machine and DH thought someone was giving me the hairy eyeball at the walmart on Cattleman Rd.

Am i gonna have problems in FL?

here's a little pic of me from a party last night for reference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,843,491 times
wow. being treated like that would make me wonder too.

when we took a trip to Italy I got weird treatment. I'm blond/blue eye and kept getting dissed in various places. very obvious, waiter wouldn't come near us, people turned away when I tried to buy something, got yelled at at a produce stand. I've never had that happen because I usually smile, try to speak the language etc.
I later learned they thought I was German and Germans have a bad rep in Italy (pushy, etc). Although I acted pleasant people treated me like I was someone else. Gave me real insight about "pre-judging" or prejudice. Not a good feeling.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,272,761 times
I think if you want to move here, you should. You are not going to have problems. We have found the majority of people here to be overly friendly. There are many, many people from NY around. Don't let ignorant people discourage you-ignorance is everywhere..Good Luck!!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,118,643 times
Wooo Hooo! New hot girl in Florida! And, she's from NY. And, she like's little bears!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 AM

17,577 posts, read 39,266,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
i had a very interesting experience in Ellenton the other day. I spent all of 20 minutes there making a pitstop at McD's on the way from Tampa to Sarasota. All seemed a bit bass ackwards to me. Had DH seriously questioning our decision to move to FL! We were near the outlets so it seemed an ok place to stop and feed the hungry little bears in the backseat. Besides the odd staff and lack of organization/service I was asked by a customer if I am from NY. When i said "Yes" he then asked me if i speak Arabic. huh??? I said "No" and he said I "look like I do"

I definitely have a mediterranean look but not middle eastern. Well, I guess if you don't know the difference, maybe. I dunno. Had me wondering... last 2 out of 3 times i flew out of Tampa they pulled me out to stick me in the xray machine and DH thought someone was giving me the hairy eyeball at the walmart on Cattleman Rd.

Am i gonna have problems in FL?

here's a little pic of me from a party last night for reference
Hey, Nanner - don't let that discourage or upset you. Ellenton is just a little rural burg, and they probably thought you were "exotic" looking (you are, you are beautiful!) Anyway, overall this area is great (Sarasota/Bradenton) and is pretty diverse with people from everywhere and no one really has any problems. But as others have said, you can run into rude or strange people ANYWHERE - lol, I run into them all the time. Stay away from some of the places around Cortez and 41, I have found MAJOR weirdness there.

Stick to the nice areas like downtown Sarasota, beaches, University Parkway area, etc. etc. Still, I like to go to the Crab Trap II in Ellenton, it's a wonderful restaurant and there is no weirdness there at all - just a great ambiance in a watefront setting, and pretty good food to go with it.

Welcome to paradise!

Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 PM

879 posts, read 1,957,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
But as others have said, you can run into rude or strange people ANYWHERE - lol, I run into them all the time.
this is kind of my concern!

thanks for the nice comments everyone. We have a different situation than some others, it's not our dream to move to FL - it's just something we are doing for a few specific reasons, and we are really hoping we can adapt & make the best of it. I want it to be a great place to raise the kids and I don't want to have to move back to NY.

it worries me that i would be considered exotic looking (greek/italian white girl from Long Island?!? really?) but i noticed it was very, very much caucasian in Sarasota and at the school registration. I will definitely miss the diversity here

Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 PM

4,905 posts, read 14,167,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
this is kind of my concern!

thanks for the nice comments everyone. We have a different situation than some others, it's not our dream to move to FL - it's just something we are doing for a few specific reasons, and we are really hoping we can adapt & make the best of it. I want it to be a great place to raise the kids and I don't want to have to move back to NY.

it worries me that i would be considered exotic looking (greek/italian white girl from Long Island?!? really?) but i noticed it was very, very much caucasian in Sarasota and at the school registration. I will definitely miss the diversity here
Let me tell you about bass ackwards...I moved to West Virginia from Manhattan and then here to Bradenton... and have been in Sarasota for the past three years...my xh is from Bellmore, LI...it's a whole different ball game here in Florida.....you'll get used to it, eventually...

You will come to understand that people here function on Florida time, not NY time. i.e. 9 a.m. is really noon, noon is like 3 p.m. & so on. There's no hurry to get things done & the FL work ethic is way different from up north. However, that doesn't mean it's "wrong" just different. It's a great place to raise children for the slower pace but still it's a different world if you were raised anywhere up north.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM

477 posts, read 989,038 times
There is a standing joke in our family about me getting taken to the side at every airport to hear the words "spread your arms and legs"..."open your carry-on"....LOL! And it's only ME! I'm 5' 4", 120 pounds, blond hair, blue eyes, in my 30's..and it happens all the time..

We have family from Kentucky, Ohio, Huntington Beach, L.A. and other places in California. For me, Florida seems to be very diverse. There are wackos everywhere but I would feel comfortable with my crazy, mixed up family moving down there with us. We probably have every case scenario you can think of, but they will do great down there...and I have no doubt about it.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,988 times
Manatee County has its share of bass ackwards people. Fortunately, there are many wonderful people to balance them out. If I had to do it over again, I would not have moved to this area, though.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,072,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthespark View Post
Manatee County has its share of bass ackwards people. Fortunately, there are many wonderful people to balance them out. If I had to do it over again, I would not have moved to this area, though.

Good assessment. I think Palmetto has some good people, but the area sucks wicked imo. Just not enough to do. Bradenton is better, but also Bradenton to me isnt as good as St Pete, so no use investing in it really for me anyhow.
I wouldnt pick to move to the area either really.. my strategy is just to be here until I get back on my feet and just be thankful Im not homeless or something, but no definitely not my choice of an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area