Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,597 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Ellenton and was chosen for NROTC in college. I wanted to work out before I start in August and was wondering if there were any good gyms around Palmetto, Bradenton, Sarasota. I was hoping for a good trainer so I could get in good physical shape during the summer. Anyway a nice atmosphere and decent price is what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:02 AM

17 posts, read 49,329 times
Are you at all familiar with Crossfit? If not check out crossfit.com if you are truly interested in getting in great shape. I'm quite sure there is a crossfit gym in Sarasota. Click on the affiliate section on the main page to find it. I have never been to this gym but with crossfit you can't go wrong.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaterator View Post
I recently moved to Ellenton and was chosen for NROTC in college. I wanted to work out before I start in August and was wondering if there were any good gyms around Palmetto, Bradenton, Sarasota. I was hoping for a good trainer so I could get in good physical shape during the summer. Anyway a nice atmosphere and decent price is what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Go check out "Ufit." You can google it for the Bradenton area. $10/month...you can't beat it! (they have all new equipment & flat screen tv on all the cardio equipment to keep your mind off your pain)... I've been a member of other gyms around the area but if you just want to train w/weights & cardio, there's not a better bargain around. Otherwise, the YMCA is great but not sure on their locations close to Ellenton...

Old 06-14-2010, 12:15 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Go check out "Ufit." You can google it for the Bradenton area. $10/month...you can't beat it! (they have all new equipment & flat screen tv on all the cardio equipment to keep your mind off your pain)... I've been a member of other gyms around the area but if you just want to train w/weights & cardio, there's not a better bargain around. Otherwise, the YMCA is great but not sure on their locations close to Ellenton...
Hey, Lady, thanks for that suggestion! I've been going to the Y down in Sarasota, but it's a haul for me, and I am not getting my money's worth out of the membership. Have you been going to Youfit? Just wondered how it compares. All I go to the Y for is weight training (upper body). I don't like free weights, I like the cable machines and the other type of machines. I see there is a Youfit just a few miles down the road from me. Wonder what the membership will go up to (website says the $10 is limited time only)

Old 06-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hey, Lady, thanks for that suggestion! I've been going to the Y down in Sarasota, but it's a haul for me, and I am not getting my money's worth out of the membership. Have you been going to Youfit? Just wondered how it compares. All I go to the Y for is weight training (upper body). I don't like free weights, I like the cable machines and the other type of machines. I see there is a Youfit just a few miles down the road from me. Wonder what the membership will go up to (website says the $10 is limited time only)
I used to go to both the downtown Y, when I lived over on Palm (early morning) and then switched over to the Bahia Vista due to proximity to where I live now. It was good, but I had to cut expenses and joined the Ufit over on Tuttle & Bee Ridge last month. Since I didn't use all of the great stuff the Y had to offer (I'm a big 45 minute to an hour of cardio nut, basically), Ufit was perfect. It's bare bones to me in that respect, but I find it works great! They have both the free weights available as well as the machines. When you sign up they will ask you your interests & set you up with a weight lifting session that meets your needs as well as help you change your program when you need it.

They've been advertising the $10/mo. membership since April & all my friends got in on it. I don't see them at the gym but, again, I like to go early & since my unemployment issue, it's works for me to go early & get it done before noon. I think the membership is supposed to go up to $15/mo. which is still reasonable, IMO, so now is the time to get in on it. They have you basically sign up for a year membership but it's $10 for first month, $10 for present & $10 for last month of that period: $30 total at sign up.

I don't feel you can lose at that price, except some weight!!! If you like to work out & want to tone up/lose weight, I think it's the best thing around! It's on the bare bones side if you're used to the Y, like me (i.e. bring your own towel as there's none provided), they do have showers available as well as lockers. Works for me!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,597 times
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, but do you guys know if Ufit has any good trainers? Because I feel like I need some instruction to start off and how much would that cost?

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaterator View Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, but do you guys know if Ufit has any good trainers? Because I feel like I need some instruction to start off and how much would that cost?

Thanks
I think you need to call & find out re: that question. You can also look up "boot camp instructors" in Sarasota (google is your friend) as I know there are some places committed to that type of training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area