Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times

Advertisements

If anyone wants really good mexican food.. Check out Cancun on SR64.
They also have cuban food.
Theres also Poblanos on SR 70.. Salsa sucks, rest of the food, really good. To me, salsa and chips that are good is a sign the place is all around good.
Last but not least.. Casa Del Sol on Cortez.. really good food.
Other mentions.. Mr Tequila near the Desoto Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:30 PM

274 posts, read 855,209 times
Try Two Amigos on 301, just north of Fruitville. I love their chile rellenos.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:02 PM

913 posts, read 2,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
Try Two Amigos on 301, just north of Fruitville. I love their chile rellenos.
We went there tonight. It was very good. I like El Bravo Toro a bit better, but we will be back.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:19 PM

70 posts, read 216,899 times
We went to Mr Tequila, and they put barbecue sauce on the burritos, and you're supposed to eat them with a fork and knife. No thank you.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 AM

879 posts, read 1,952,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePalms View Post
We went to Mr Tequila, and they put barbecue sauce on the burritos, and you're supposed to eat them with a fork and knife. No thank you.
i never hearda sucha thing!!

we had a fun lunch at Tijuana Flats, not what the OP is looking for but I'd go back

Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 AM

166 posts, read 369,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
They have mexican food at the Red Barn now, it's worth checking out. It all depends on your taste for mexican & whether you lean to tex/mex or not...El Adobe has been ranked top in Sarasota for many years.
We were there at the Red Barn about 2 years ago and there was a Mexican place inside there and I remember them having really good tacos!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,981 times
Burritos is by far the closest to authentic Mexican you'll find in Sarasota, FL . My friend is a waitress there and the food is prepared and cooked in house, right down to the salsas, guacamole, refried beans, and Spanish rice. [url=http://www.burritosmexicangrill.com]MEXICAN RESTAURANTS SARASOTA | AUTHENTIC | TRADITIONAL | MEXICAN | FOOD[/url]

Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 AM

46 posts, read 91,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
If anyone wants really good mexican food.. Check out Cancun on SR64.
They also have cuban food.
Theres also Poblanos on SR 70.. Salsa sucks, rest of the food, really good. To me, salsa and chips that are good is a sign the place is all around good.
Last but not least.. Casa Del Sol on Cortez.. really good food.
Other mentions.. Mr Tequila near the Desoto Mall.
I have been wanting to try Cancun since I saw it last week. We'll definitely give them a try.

Sadly, Casa del Sol in Bradenton is closed. But it was seriously authentic and delicious. I have heard that they planned on opening somewhere else, but have not been able to find them.

If anyone is ever in Tampa, check out the Tampa Taco Bus. Tampa Taco Bus

Also Vallartas in Tampa has seriously excellent food (salsa is so-so).

Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatemall View Post
Burritos is by far the closest to authentic Mexican you'll find in Sarasota, FL . My friend is a waitress there and the food is prepared and cooked in house, right down to the salsas, guacamole, refried beans, and Spanish rice. MEXICAN RESTAURANTS SARASOTA | AUTHENTIC | TRADITIONAL | MEXICAN | FOOD
Agreed. We have had several awesome meals in there, and it is just plain old solid Mexican food, nothing fancy.

I saw that one of my neighbors was very unhappy with her experience there, but I think it just wasn't their cup of tea, not "bad," per se.

Salsa, for instance, is totally subjective. There is no "right" salsa. The poster described it as like soup from a can, but I have had it, and while it is definitely not a chunky salsa, it is very flavorful and very similar to salsa I have had at other top-notch places.

As for the vegetarian burrito, I wouldn't know.

But everything else we have had from there, from the "wet burritos" to the tacos to the nachos (which were especially good, for reasons I could not really define), was very good. No misses at all.

I am sure I would have no interest in a cheeseless cauliflower burrito, so i might have hated the place too, had I ordered that.

Anyway, El Toro Bravo is right next door, and we definitely intend to go there soon, as well.

By the way, both of these restaurants are participants with the free coupon service Sarasota Sally, which we have been WEARING OUT since we got here. You'll find tons of great deals there.

For example, August is my birthday month, so I got to have a 100% free breakfast at Dutch Valley yesterday, which was REALLY good.

Of course, being the great guy I am, I tipped the waitress the entire amount my breakfast would have cost me.

Anyway, check it out. It is very simple. When you do, hopefully you'll check out Paris to Budapest and A French Affair, each of which have become weekly visits for us.

P.S. Site malfunctioning on posting links for some reason, so look up Sarasota Sally. When you get to www. sarasotasally.com, click on the video "How to join Sarasota Sally." It is definitely worth doing.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:18 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I am sure I would have no interest in a cheeseless cauliflower burrito, so i might have hated the place too, had I ordered that.
what the hell kind of self respecting place, classy, divy or otherwise would serve something like this??
This is how I see this happening after me and the wife sit down and see the menu. Honey, lets get the hell outta here.
Those three words should never be on one line on a menu!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area