Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:38 PM

209 posts, read 538,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
The place looks very nice and we were going to go there in December and decided too many of the reveiws were spotty and have decided to go to the Beach House and will also try that Banana Cabana place based on Oobie saying how great it is. Well plus we will be there for a few days and we can walk there evidently which is great for me. No worries about having a few and driving this will work out great I think.
I'm glad you enjoyed it and I assume your feelings of the Sarasota area are like most of us growing stronger every day.
Such a beautiful area.
The Bistro boasts the highest Zagat rating for food and service in the state of Florida.*It is included in Zagat’s “Top Restaurants in America” and is lauded by the guide for “the best food on the Gulf Coast,” “as good as any in New York or Paris.” The dinner was delicious, the company was great. My SO and I don't drink so driving is not a problem.

The jury's still out about the area. I'm on an iPhone right now but when I get back to my computer I will give better reviews and opinions. *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 05:06 AM

88 posts, read 158,341 times
I would pass on Phillippi. We were there last week, and go several times a year. It is pricey, the service can be good, depending on the wait staff you get, but the quality of the food is marginal.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:09 AM

88 posts, read 158,341 times
We like Marker IV in Venice. It is casual, but a nice menu and good service. I am not impressed with Phillipi or Sharkey's. They server average to below-average food and charge too much for it.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 AM

386 posts, read 1,015,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
Anyone want to give a critique on Phillippi? Have gone by a bunch but never gone in...how is it these days?
See my 7/16/10 review of Phillipi Creek Village Restaurant & Oyster Bar at Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,318 times
I don't see how Phillipi Creek stays in business. The only decent food I have had there in two visits was on the half shell or simply steamed. Hard to screw that up.

The rest is amazingly mediocre in every way.

And the service is just weird, to be honest. They seem a combination of annoyed at you and maybe mildly developmentally challenged or something. I guess the latter could be forgiven if not for the former.

With so many struggling restaurants in town, why go here at all? It's not even cheap, and the waterfront view is sure nothing to write home about.

Walt's Seafood up the street will give you a much better meal, not scowl while they're doing it, and will sell you some great fish from the counter to take home.

No brainer.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
was at zekes at the palm island marina in englewood this past weekend. good food, nice views. typical old type florida boat dock setting. not some place to get all dressed up for. would definetly go again.

they have ice cold yuengling on tap.

as well as other tap and bottles.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,081,815 times
A new place that you might consider nice (if you head south to Punta Gorda) is Laishley's Crab House. They have a nice marina, and park near by. The food is good, they have a nice dock bar, and it is all elevated so you have a nice view.

If you like Italian food, there is Portofino's on the North side of the Peace River Bridge. The food there is really good, and they have an outside dock bar on the 2nd floor as well. It is a tad pricier though.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 PM

354 posts, read 1,272,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wille View Post
We like Marker IV in Venice. It is casual, but a nice menu and good service. I am not impressed with Phillipi or Sharkey's. They server average to below-average food and charge too much for it.
I agree with Sharkey's. They have got worse over the years. They have adjusted the menu and removed the old outside only menu. I'm not sure if I will have anything to eat there anymore. If I have visitors they all want to go because of the location. Can't beat the view and drinks though...... The server told me that they are doing a huge expansion and adding another 2 story building, probably enclosed like Gulf View Grille. I do like Pops Sunset grill in Nokomis for a drink and a burger or the White Elephant in Englewood beach.

I think all the places that are actually on the water are good for drinking and the ooh, ahh of sunset but the better places too eat aren't located on the water. My co-worker always raves about Anna Maria

Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 AM

473 posts, read 1,167,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
I think all the places that are actually on the water are good for drinking and the ooh, ahh of sunset but the better places too eat aren't located on the water. My co-worker always raves about Anna Maria
Ha! I agree with your observation but a sunset dinner on the beach is awesome even if in the rare experience the food isn't. Sunset or beachside dining rules but hopefully you get decent food

Willy

Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,072 times
heres another place on the water. had lunch there today. we both had grouper sandwiches and they were great. Waterside Grill - GASPARILLA MARINA - BOCA GRANDE FLORIDA typical boat dock atmosphere with no dress code. would like to go back in the evening. it was pretty hot out but they have swamp coolers outside along with many fans with water misters. brings the temp feel down.

DEPENDING ON HOW CROWDED IT GETS AT NIGHT --- MIGHT BE A GOOD MEET UP PLACE. LOTS OF TABLES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area