U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 PM

37 posts, read 76,103 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've been reading the City-Data board for a long time now and finally joined. I've got a few questions about moving to Florida.
I visited the Nokomis/Venice area last winter and am now retiring and thinking of moving to the area. I've also been up to Sun City Center and am considering that area, too. Yes, I know they are very different. I like the laid-back feeling of Nokomis/Venice, but I found that many more services and activites, clubs, etc., are offered in Sun City Center.
When I was down in N/V, I visited Jacaranda Trace, Bird Bay and a golf community, but none of them appealed to me. I am thinking of looking at one of the Sorrento neighborhoods and the Inlets. Are there other active adult communities in that area I should look at? Or any other condo or villa neighborhoods that might be good?
I do want to be in a safe place as I will be making this move alone. And I'm coming down to look around this month, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Lulu
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,425,484 times
Lulu
I live in Sorrento Woods and can say all the Sorrentos are safe
Sorrento East is older but has a community center which we do not have

Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 PM

164 posts, read 329,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwnh19 View Post
Hello,
I've been reading the City-Data board for a long time now and finally joined. I've got a few questions about moving to Florida.
I visited the Nokomis/Venice area last winter and am now retiring and thinking of moving to the area. I've also been up to Sun City Center and am considering that area, too. Yes, I know they are very different. I like the laid-back feeling of Nokomis/Venice, but I found that many more services and activites, clubs, etc., are offered in Sun City Center.
When I was down in N/V, I visited Jacaranda Trace, Bird Bay and a golf community, but none of them appealed to me. I am thinking of looking at one of the Sorrento neighborhoods and the Inlets. Are there other active adult communities in that area I should look at? Or any other condo or villa neighborhoods that might be good?
I do want to be in a safe place as I will be making this move alone. And I'm coming down to look around this month, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Lulu
I love the Sarasota area but...since you are also looking in the Sun City Center area and you are interested in the "active adult communitiy" environment, you may want to check out Valencia Lakes in Wimauma on 301 just north of Sun City Center. My brother and SIL recently moved there and they absolutely love it: beautiful development of homes and condos, many activities and they have already made alot of friends.

Good luck in your search!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM

37 posts, read 76,103 times
Thanks for the information on Valencia Lakes. I've heard of it from a realtor who said it is really beautiful. Do you know if it is pretty quiet there? Do you know how far from a beach it is? I'm a little leery of new construction because of all the chinese drywall problems I read about while I was down there last winter.
Thanks, Lulu

Old 07-11-2010, 05:54 PM

164 posts, read 329,456 times
I will send you a direct message with more info on Valencia Lakes.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:09 AM

42 posts, read 92,408 times
We just bought a home in Venice last fall and love it. For now, it is a vacation home, but will be our retirement home in a few years. Our home is in The Lakes of Jacaranda and it seems very safe. I looked in Sarasota, Nokomis, Venice, and North Port before deciding on Venice. Venice is great because there is plenty of shopping, grocery stores, etc. and it has the small town community feeling. They always have community activities going on downtown. It is close to Sarasota, but without the horrible traffic.
I did look at Sorrento East, but like The Lakes much better. Jacaranda West is also a nice area. When I was looking, someone mentioned that in Nokomis, you are not as close to grocery stores, etc. which makes a difference to me, also.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 AM
GPH

94 posts, read 213,920 times
We are closing on a home in Venice in a neighborhood called Pinebrook South. It is a great community with a boat ramp, clubhouse, pool, and all sorts of activities. There are deed restrictions, but it is not an age restricted community. Pinebrook South is located near everything, grocery stores, shops, downtown Venice, the beach, hospital. bike path, public transportation, boat launch etc.. We also looked at many of the same areas including the east coast of Fl, before deciding on Venice. It will be a vacation home for now with totally super snow bird potential! Good luck with your search, and stick with City Data, you can't go wrong with these people, whether you agree with some of the posts or not. It is a great resource.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 AM

33,205 posts, read 52,507,852 times
My daughter married a guy who owned a condo in Venice--the only consolation besides the fact that he was a nice guy and they were really in love what that the condo was in one of the safest towns in FL--
now they have house in Nokomis in Sorrento East and that is about as safe as it gets as well--
I would never really have been too comfortable with my daughter living in Tampa or especially Miami--even though I know there are areas with low-crime in those towns...

we enjoy Venice and the surrounding area--don't know much about other parts of the Gulf side--but are probably considering buying something for ourselves to use when we come to visit...and would have absolutely no problem buying home in their area--

Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,759,925 times
Oh wow, I haven't heard Nokomis mentioned in eons. I had an aunt who lived there, but she passed away 20 years ago.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM

34 posts, read 55,723 times
We just bought a home in Nokomis which will be our retirement home in 2 yrs. It's just over the bridge to the beach. We have been going down there for 25 yrs. Love it! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area