U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,062 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in beautiful Sarasota area next week. We are both in late 40s and love hiking but do not like the hot sun! Are there any wooded trails in the area? We also love kayaking but have limited experience
What are the best wine bars in town? We are looking for places with a good choice of wines
Appreciate all your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 12:51 PM

273 posts, read 775,308 times
Unfortunately, since you're coming down in July, it's going to be pretty tough to avoid the hot sun! Probably your best bet for a hiking-type experience would be at Myakka State Park. As an avid hiker from the Northeast, it's not really "hiking", per se, but there are many wooded walking paths there, and you'll get a chance to see the real Florida. There's great wildlife there (boars, gators, and vultures among other things), and you can also rent kayaks, bikes, or take a fanboat tour of the lake.

There are tons of places in town to rent kayaks, and it's particularly beautiful to go kayaking in the mangrove trails near Lido Key.

Sarasota Vineyards is right on Main Street, and they've got a huge selection of wines and cheese platters. If you're looking for restaurants with a great wine list, try Mozaic on Main Street and Crab & Fin on St. Armand's. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzie85 View Post
Unfortunately, since you're coming down in July, it's going to be pretty tough to avoid the hot sun! Probably your best bet for a hiking-type experience would be at Myakka State Park. As an avid hiker from the Northeast, it's not really "hiking", per se, but there are many wooded walking paths there, and you'll get a chance to see the real Florida. There's great wildlife there (boars, gators, and vultures among other things), and you can also rent kayaks, bikes, or take a fanboat tour of the lake.

There are tons of places in town to rent kayaks, and it's particularly beautiful to go kayaking in the mangrove trails near Lido Key.

Sarasota Vineyards is right on Main Street, and they've got a huge selection of wines and cheese platters. If you're looking for restaurants with a great wine list, try Mozaic on Main Street and Crab & Fin on St. Armand's. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the info! Will definitely check out Myakka State park

Old 07-11-2010, 02:45 PM

1,939 posts, read 5,828,601 times
Miss Lizzie came up with the same ideas I was going to share...Myakka is awesome, a bit of a drive but really worth it. The gator viewing is great, but be sure to go in the early morning or towards dusk...the gators tend to submerge themselves in the heat of the day. Plus, in order to avoid the heat this is the best time for you also...Sarasota Vineyards is a great option also... If you will be in the area on a Sunday the drum circle at Siesta key beach is really fun, but arrive around 5:30 as it gets busy...

Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,994,071 times
As others have pointed out Myakka River SP has lots of trails (40 miles or so), but once you leave the nature trails and get onto the hiking trails, there's virtually no cover. The hiking trails intersect lots of dirt roads and horse trails so you can make a custom trip out of it.

Oscar Scherer SP is another that's close to Sarasota, and has 6 hiking trails, but they are really just sand roads with no cover so I'd avoid them. There are some nature trails but I've not been on them and don't know what the cover is like.

Little Manatee River SP has a trail that can be done in either a ~3 or 6.5 mile loop. It's almost all covered and has several distinct regions. It's probably my third favorite trail in the state, and great for quick weekend hikes. The trail isn't in the main park (it's on the other side of the river), but if you tell the ranger at the gate that you want to hike the trail, they'll give you directions.

Remember to bring lots of water, especially this time of year.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
As others have pointed out Myakka River SP has lots of trails (40 miles or so), but once you leave the nature trails and get onto the hiking trails, there's virtually no cover. The hiking trails intersect lots of dirt roads and horse trails so you can make a custom trip out of it.

Oscar Scherer SP is another that's close to Sarasota, and has 6 hiking trails, but they are really just sand roads with no cover so I'd avoid them. There are some nature trails but I've not been on them and don't know what the cover is like.

Little Manatee River SP has a trail that can be done in either a ~3 or 6.5 mile loop. It's almost all covered and has several distinct regions. It's probably my third favorite trail in the state, and great for quick weekend hikes. The trail isn't in the main park (it's on the other side of the river), but if you tell the ranger at the gate that you want to hike the trail, they'll give you directions.

Remember to bring lots of water, especially this time of year.
Thank you so much for the advice. We hope to do the trail at Little Manatee River State Park this time

Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,994,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msniro View Post
Thank you so much for the advice. We hope to do the trail at Little Manatee River State Park this time
Something that I forgot to mention is that there are some spots on the trail that are usually muddy, especially with the rain that we've had lately.

It's only 3 or 4 small sections and all but one can be avoided with minimal work. There is one section that sometimes has several inches of water that's almost impossible to get around. I have light boots and haven't gotten water in them, but if you wear tennis or trail shoes then you could end up with wet socks.

This is only a factor if you hike the entire loop. If you do, you might want to carry an extra pair of socks, or just hike the loop clockwise to put that spot in the last 1/3 of the trail. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:13 PM

475 posts, read 809,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msniro View Post
My wife and I will be in beautiful Sarasota area next week. We are both in late 40s and love hiking but do not like the hot sun! Are there any wooded trails in the area? We also love kayaking but have limited experience
What are the best wine bars in town? We are looking for places with a good choice of wines
Appreciate all your help!
You could always carry an umbrella and take cover with you anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area