Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,296 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good family oriented community with excellent schools in the Bradenton area (or nearby)?

We have two children and are relocating from Round Rock, Texas (an Austin suburb) for my husband's job. We need to be within 45 minutes of the St. Pete/Clearwater Airport. I was just there looking for a home in West Tampa because I preferred Hillsborough County schools over Pinellas County, and it seemed to have more of the 'suburban feel' that we are used to as well as newer homes. I liked several of the communities, but I did not have any luck finding a rental house.

I am back home in Texas now and decided to research the area south of St. Pete in order to broaden our options and move quicker. After researching the schools, it appears that Gene Witt, Gilbert McNeal, and Robert Willis Elementary Schools are among the best in Manatee County. Does anyone know anything about these schools or the neighborhoods they are in? Any other schools I should look into?

My oldest son is in the talented and gifted program here, so schools are very important to us. Also, we do not want to buy a home because we want to get familiar with the area first. Any recommendations on subdivisions that are likely to have rental homes? We prefer a well-maintained neighborhood with a community pool, playgrounds, tennis courts, etc.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
The area you mentioned is nice- East Bradenton. I would stay in that area or perhaps Ellenton which is a bit further NE (Im not a fan, of Ellenton, but many others are..). You can try subdivisions in Bradenton like Greenfield Plantation, Waterlefe and surrounding areas, Mill Creek, the Meadows, and Greyhawk Landing. There are others I just cant think of since I don't get out that way too often. Im not sure which of these offer rentals either. You are right though, the schools in Manatee county are some of the best in the state (I taught in the county). All teachers must be highly qualified and they teach at very high standards. All the schools you mentioned do have a gifted programs to my knowledge and they are all A schools. Just my suggestion: Choose your area to rent in first, then the school. Manatee County offers school choice, look into this: it's first come first serve, based on capacity of school of course. They begin enrollment for school choice VERY EARLY, like April or May for the following year. They also do not publicize this very much There may be some other catches but as far as I know it's pretty easy to accomplish if you jump on enrollment early enough..research it first though as some of the rules may have changed..
Hope this helps!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
a 45 min drive would take you into Sarasota county--
your child might be eligible for the PineView School for Gifted and Talented in Osprey--
it is magnet school only for G/T students starting in grade 2 moving through 12th....
there is bus service for people who live outside the local zone--
but it can be a long day for bus kids at the far boundaries of the county...

Since it is a magnet school you can live anywhere in Sarasota county and if your child qualified s/he would go--and then if you bought home in different area of Sarasota county s/he would just remain at the same school...

lots of posts on this forum about PineView--you can search for them--
it is not a "perfect" school and all Sarasota county and FL public schools by law have to have a G/T teacher in each grade level in elementary school---

Sarasota county also has good stats for its students/teachers
you don't have to go to PineView to find a good school---
my daughter teaches there and she has said that PineView has problems--maybe not the same ones as other schools but it is not a good fit for every child/parent/teacher--

AND there are plenty of parents who manage to get their child's admission IQ at or above the required # only to have the child very obviously struggle trying to achieve on accelerated coursework used in the classes...and not every G/T child is really geared for the strong academics that PineView requires...

Students were tested last year for admission in August--you should contact the school if you are interested in a late registration
I think s/he would have to be re-tested for admission--not using test scores from TX
I know Round Rock has some of the best schools in the state--I live/taught in TX--but that is just policy...
Lakewood Ranch in Sarasota/Sarasota County is well-regarded planned subdivison that has lot of families/activities and good local schools from what I have read here--I am sure there are houses for rent there--and it is pretty easy shot up the 275 freeway to StPete airport

Old 07-18-2010, 04:25 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Since Pine View School was brought up I'm going to throw my two cents in about the school. I have two kids that attend Pine View and we've been there for about 9 years now and I have nothing but good things to say about the school.

PV is ranked the top school in the state of Florida and one of the top schools in the Nation. PV is a Sarasota county public school. Here are a few requirements for acceptance:
You must live in Sarasota county
IQ of 130 or more
high achievement testing
teacher recommendations
high GPA
Specific times for admissions

Pine View has grades 2nd-12th all on one campus. Here's a link to the PV website:Welcome to Pine View School

Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 AM

32 posts, read 71,373 times
Default Manatee County

For Pineview, you said you have to live in Sarasota County. So just to be sure. My daughter would not be able to go to Pineview if we like in Lakewood, right?

Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffish View Post
For Pineview, you said you have to live in Sarasota County. So just to be sure. My daughter would not be able to go to Pineview if we like in Lakewood, right?
In order to attend Pineview you would have to live in Sarasota County. Also they have to be tested in order to attend there in order to ensure that they can keep up with the curriculum.

Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffish View Post
That is correct. Your child would not be able to attend if you lived in LWR. You must live in Sarasota county and show proof of residency. I moved from Charlotte county to Sarasota county specifically for my kids to attend PV.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:13 AM

32 posts, read 71,373 times
Any recommendations for Sarasota kindergarten then? My daughter just turned 5 and we will be there in early October.

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Southside Elementary, Ashton, Tatum Ridge all get high marks from the state. Here's a map of the different school zones: Sarasota County Schools Long Range Planning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area