Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,024,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
$19 for 3 months????? Your municipality must not have a "facility" or "ready to serve" charge. Are you sure you didn't forget a "0" at the end?
For water and sewer in Charlotte county, even if you don't use a drop of water, your bill will be at least $35/month. We are on city water but have a septic system. Our family of 3 averages around $80-90/mo for water. If the county ever wastes the money to expand sewer (I'm on a committe fighting it), this will almost double the water bill. I simply couldn't imagine paying over $150/month for water & sewer!!! My electric bill isn't even that high!
Nope, Its $19.00 It is always suprisingly low. I have even topped off my pond a couple times. Water is just really cheap here. Though they hammer you for everything else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,858,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
$19 for 3 months????? Your municipality must not have a "facility" or "ready to serve" charge. Are you sure you didn't forget a "0" at the end?
For water and sewer in Charlotte county, even if you don't use a drop of water, your bill will be at least $35/month. We are on city water but have a septic system. Our family of 3 averages around $80-90/mo for water. If the county ever wastes the money to expand sewer (I'm on a committe fighting it), this will almost double the water bill. I simply couldn't imagine paying over $150/month for water & sewer!!! My electric bill isn't even that high!
We pay $47.19 monthly for an EMPTY LOT in Charlotte County!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,962,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
We pay $47.19 monthly for an EMPTY LOT in Charlotte County!!!
Thus the "ready to serve" fees! Insane for an empty lot. You need to look into this and fight it. I don't pay anything for our lot 1 mile away. There's no sewer there like yours, but it does have water available.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM

We were told if we didn't pay it, they would disconnect our service, and then it would be thousands of dollars to re-connect it. Sounds like a scam to us to, but what to do??

Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
We were told if we didn't pay it, they would disconnect our service, and then it would be thousands of dollars to re-connect it. Sounds like a scam to us to, but what to do??
I would like to know how they "disconnect" an empty lot. Honestly, I would stop paying, then wait and see what happens later if/when you build. When that happens, you will have to connect anyway.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 AM

You're probably right...

Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 PM

383 posts, read 1,019,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
You have not given enough info to get an answer that will be helpful to you.

How big is the house? What temp will you set your thermostat at? How often will someone be opening a door to the outside? Will you be cooking on the stove/oven or using the microwave? How many showers will be taken in a day and how long will they last? How many loads of laundry per week? How many loads of dishes?

Here is the answer for the 2 people who live at my house.

1,200 sf, thermostat set at 72, minimal indoor cooking during the summer. Electric bill last month was $230. House is older with poor insulation and single pane windows. We have blinds and insulated curtains on all the windows and keep it like a cave.

3-4 showers per day 15 minutes +/-, 4 loads of laundry per week, no dishwasher. Water bill was $72 last month. We do water plants outside, rinse off the dog when we get back from the beach most every afternoon.
72 degrees is a pretty low setting on your thermostat,you could save several dollars per month for A/C if you boosted that up a few degrees,we keep ours at 78 and it is quite comfortable,but we do like to have bedroom overhead fan on for sleeping just to circulate,and the 2 of us are just doing 2-3 loads of laundry per week.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum wannabe View Post
72 degrees is a pretty low setting on your thermostat,you could save several dollars per month for A/C if you boosted that up a few degrees,we keep ours at 78 and it is quite comfortable,but we do like to have bedroom overhead fan on for sleeping just to circulate,and the 2 of us are just doing 2-3 loads of laundry per week.
I didn't want to say anything, but since you did then it's my turn
Yes, 72 is VERY low for down here! Your A/C will be running non-stop and might not even keep up. We came from Michigan, where we always had the A/C set at 70 and it was fine. It took us a few months to get acclimated to the climate difference down here, but now our A/C is set at 81 all the time and it is very comfortable. We use the ceiling fans in the room we're in at that moment, and of course in the BR at night. The difference between 72 and 80 could easily be $125 or more per month on your electric bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area