Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times

Advertisements

Two questions: we just had it fully completed and im noticing some areas of grout are darker than others, is this normal?? Could it still be wet?? Also, any suggestions on what to use to clean it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
grout will take 2-3 days maybe even longer to dry completely--
and it can change color

was it sealed? are they coming back to do that?

if it was sealed propertly it should only require cleaning/moping with something fairly gentle--

Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Two questions: we just had it fully completed and im noticing some areas of grout are darker than others, is this normal?? Could it still be wet?? Also, any suggestions on what to use to clean it?

Did you hire someone to lay the tile? Did they use tap water for the grout? Sometimes that will leave the grout color inconsistent. Or are some areas lighter? If that's the case, then you have a little efflorescence. If you scrape a little of the light grout away, there color will be underneath. You can use a mixture of white vinegar and water to remove it. Or just call the person who did the job. They should be able to take care of it.

Whatever it is, make sure you take care of it before you seal.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 PM

some areas are the color the grout is supposed to be, others are darker--I'll give it some time to let it dry. A friend of my husbands did it, he owned a tile business up north. He said it needed to dry more but it felt dry to me..I guess I'll give it some time. Yes though, my husband is going to seal it asap : )

Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
some areas are the color the grout is supposed to be, others are darker--I'll give it some time to let it dry. A friend of my husbands did it, he owned a tile business up north. He said it needed to dry more but it felt dry to me..I guess I'll give it some time. Yes though, my husband is going to seal it asap : )

Did he use tap water? You may want to read the directions on the grout before you seal.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:12 PM

He used water from the hose...yeah...im just a perfectionist so for the time being it's making me crazy

Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM

33 posts, read 54,932 times
Its not abnormal to have blotchy grout shortly after installation,especially with sanded grout.When wiping off excess grout and shaping the grout lines with a sponge,a fine inconsistent slurry will tend to fill the surface of the grout lines.When it cures,you end up with a chalky residue that gives you that inconsistent appearance. I would scrub down the tile with some dry burlap once the grout is fully cured to loosen up the dried up slurry and then mop the floor with clean warm water.Good luck.

Frank

Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
He used water from the hose...yeah...im just a perfectionist so for the time being it's making me crazy
That could be what created the darker spots. That happened to me once and I have used distilled water ever since. It drove me crazy and I eventually used a grout paint to cover all the grout. But that had to be done before it was sealed. So that is why I would wait to seal until you figured this out. When we bought our condo here the bathrooms have the same issue. Dark spots in the grout. Since I do not like the tile, we will be just replacing everything.

Here is a website that might be able to answer your questions.

Tile Forum/Advice Board - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area