Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM

879 posts, read 1,953,405 times

Advertisements

bighouse: thanks lol (i actually did "lol")

It's fun and my kids are young enough to have fun with it not be embarrassed by their crazy mom!

Old Man WInter: I would love to see Roseatte spoonbills, they are so interesting! Did you get lots of great photos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:57 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
bighouse: thanks lol (i actually did "lol")

It's fun and my kids are young enough to have fun with it not be embarrassed by their crazy mom!

Old Man WInter: I would love to see Roseatte spoonbills, they are so interesting! Did you get lots of great photos?
I want to see some roseate spoonbills, too! I haven't seen any since we lived in Lakeland. Lakeland is another real mecca for wildlife and birds, really fantastic. All those lakes provide great opportunities for wildlife picture taking.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
JoAnna - great set of pics! What Macro are you using? My Macro lens is awful, bit i really LOVE my 100-400 lens.
When I was down in Feb I took lots & lots & Lots of pics - even had one published in LOngboat Observer, and another was juried into a Photo show up in Huntington, NY.
I spent most of July in SRQ as well, dragged the camera, but never took a picture. Went out one night & lens fogged up so bad, and it wouldn't defog for half an hour. By then, sunset was over.

Coming back down again in a week, and hoping to get out with my camera. Hoping to go with some other local photogs on a shoot. There is a Meetup group for Photographers in sarasota. The group I belong to on LI is terrific.

I had planned to do some shooting last week, but unfortunately had to make an unexpected return from SRQ last week due to the death of my mother.:-(
I'll be up here another week dealing with things.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM

15 posts, read 24,585 times
Default Amazing storms and cloud formations

Keep your camera tuned up for the amazing storms here, they are really awesome to watch, the lightning and cloud formations are pretty wild.

Take Care,
Kim

Quote:
I have only been here 2 weeks and I feel like it's an adventure everyday! I encounter the coolest new creatures and see such beautiful plants, etc - i started taking pix the day I moved in.

Today as I was looking at the photos I decided to create a blog. As a total FL n00b and lifelong New Yorker I see things here everyday that just amaze me! From sunsets and pelicans to giant dragonflies and gators. So, if it's legal to post this link here...
Sarasota Safari
check it out and watch me discover Sarasota!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 AM

15 posts, read 24,585 times
Default A few more places to check out

If you haven't been here are some awesome places to add to your collection

Long Boat Key has wild Peacocks that run around and yes they fly so look in the trees and on roof tops for them, they usually strut around the streets. The residents don't like em but I think they are so cool.
Lowery Park Zoo This zoo is huge and has a extensive collection and I had got some awesome pics with my consumer style Kodak.
I have yet to visit the Florida Aquarium in Tampa, but it looks awesome.
Check out Mote Aquarium as well, and try the Eco Tour, my son went on it and thought it was pretty cool.
Hope this helps, as most of this I just stumbled on.
It is really cool the variety of so many new things here, I love it
Take Care
Kim

Old 08-17-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
JoAnna - great set of pics! What Macro are you using? My Macro lens is awful, bit i really LOVE my 100-400 lens.
When I was down in Feb I took lots & lots & Lots of pics - even had one published in LOngboat Observer, and another was juried into a Photo show up in Huntington, NY.
I spent most of July in SRQ as well, dragged the camera, but never took a picture. Went out one night & lens fogged up so bad, and it wouldn't defog for half an hour. By then, sunset was over.

Coming back down again in a week, and hoping to get out with my camera. Hoping to go with some other local photogs on a shoot. There is a Meetup group for Photographers in sarasota. The group I belong to on LI is terrific.

I had planned to do some shooting last week, but unfortunately had to make an unexpected return from SRQ last week due to the death of my mother.:-(
I'll be up here another week dealing with things.

ohhh no, so sorry about your mom

i am clueless when it comes to hardware. i have a Lumix DMC-FZ35 (Panasonic) and use the built in macro. I don't know any of the settings, how sad is that?? It's such a lightweight camera, I like taking it everywhere. These are the specs cnet link
I am just waiting for the big gator in the pond across the street to give me a good photo op. He was out basking on the grass last night but I won't go anywhere NEAR there and the sun was almost set anyway lol I often take pix from my car so next time i see him out in the sun I will jump in my car full-on safari style and creep up closer!

I will look into the meet-up group. I would be interested in doing something on weekdays. oh, and congrats on the recognition - that's so cool about the longboat observer and show in HUntington! (PS - i miss Heckscher Park!! )

Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko64 View Post
If you haven't been here are some awesome places to add to your collection

Long Boat Key has wild Peacocks that run around and yes they fly so look in the trees and on roof tops for them, they usually strut around the streets. The residents don't like em but I think they are so cool.
Lowery Park Zoo This zoo is huge and has a extensive collection and I had got some awesome pics with my consumer style Kodak.
I have yet to visit the Florida Aquarium in Tampa, but it looks awesome.
Check out Mote Aquarium as well, and try the Eco Tour, my son went on it and thought it was pretty cool.
Hope this helps, as most of this I just stumbled on.
It is really cool the variety of so many new things here, I love it
Take Care
Kim
haven't been to long boat key yet. we went to sarasota jungle gardens on one of our first trips down and were amazed at the beautiful wild peacock that hangs out there. they said he jumped the fence and decided to stick around Have you been there? He is all white- gorgeous!! maybe i have a picture...

Went to Mote 3 times in the last 2 weeks i think lol 1st just to go, then the in-laws came so we brought them, then we tried going back to GWiz yesterday but they are closed on mondays so we went back to Mote lol The kids love it. Anyone visiting the aquarium should walk across to see the birds at SOS (save our seabirds) . I already have pix from SOS and 1 from Mote on my blog. I brought home the info for the boat tours, we may do one. I am planning to go to Myakka for the air boat tour they do too.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I want to see some roseate spoonbills, too! I haven't seen any since we lived in Lakeland. Lakeland is another real mecca for wildlife and birds, really fantastic. All those lakes provide great opportunities for wildlife picture taking.
I haven't seen Rosette's in years. When I was a kid and coming over the bridge from Bradenton to Anna Maria Island, you'd look to the left and look to the right and the whole area would be bright pink with Rosettes. This was back in the early 70's. I know you're a native. Do you remember that?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
ohhh no, so sorry about your mom

i am clueless when it comes to hardware. i have a Lumix DMC-FZ35 (Panasonic) and use the built in macro. I don't know any of the settings, how sad is that?? It's such a lightweight camera, I like taking it everywhere. These are the specs cnet link
I am just waiting for the big gator in the pond across the street to give me a good photo op. He was out basking on the grass last night but I won't go anywhere NEAR there and the sun was almost set anyway lol I often take pix from my car so next time i see him out in the sun I will jump in my car full-on safari style and creep up closer!

I will look into the meet-up group. I would be interested in doing something on weekdays. oh, and congrats on the recognition - that's so cool about the longboat observer and show in HUntington! (PS - i miss Heckscher Park!! )
Jnanner-makes me feel better you took those pics with a Lumix camera. My camera broke yesterday and my only choice was a Lumix. I was a little concerned cause I had never heard of the brand but if you took those pics with it then I feel better about my choice.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Jnanner-makes me feel better you took those pics with a Lumix camera. My camera broke yesterday and my only choice was a Lumix. I was a little concerned cause I had never heard of the brand but if you took those pics with it then I feel better about my choice.
My camera has great reviews and my father-in-law has been using Lumix for years. He keeps losing them on trips! My husband got me the camera for my birthday in december. Look up your camera on amazon or cnet and see what kind of reviews it got. People seem to really like them and I've been happy with it (just wish I had time to figure out half the stuff it does!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area