Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,568 times

Advertisements

what is best area to buy a holiday home in e.g. close to beach, good shops, safe and clean environment. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 12:00 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,247,463 times
Depends where you want to live and what your budget will allow.. personally, I love the University Park area. It is right on the border of Sarasota, but is still Bradenton. It is a very, beautiful suburban like area with single family homes, and a few condo's. It is extremely safe, and has tons of shopping nearby on University Parkway, Target, grocers, banks yadda yadda. It offers great access to I75 with Tampa and other areas closeby, and Siesta Key and Lido Key beaches (two of the top rated beaches..) are only 20 minutes away. Mote Ranch in particular has a superb selection of well maintained subdivisions with very low HOA fees. There is a community pool, a nice walking trail. I would say the ages range from Mid forties to elderly..Palm Aire is right next door and offers the same, but with a bit older homes. Prices range from $230-500 in Mote, but are a bit lower in Palm Aire.. If you google Mote Ranch Bradenton Florida, you will find a lot of nice info on the area..

Old 10-02-2010, 12:42 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,123,831 times
Rotonda, hits the above plus very popular with the Brits for the golf (not Gulf)

Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,857,466 times
Much of it depends on your budget but Rotonda is a decent suggestion. You can pick up a pretty nice home in Rotonda between $150k-$200k.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:56 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,626,860 times
Rotunda .....close to beach, good shops, safe and clean environment. NO WAY

Old 10-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Not sure what you're talking about. It's 15 mins from Englewood beach, 20 mins from Boca Grande. I would agree it's not all that close to clothes shopping but there's a Publix, Home Depot, Walgreens all very close. It's deed restricted and most people keep their properties up pretty well. Again, it depends on what type of money the OP is wanting to spend. If they are looking to spend much more (generally) than what they would in Rotonda they could look to the Sarasota area.

I would think that the Sunshine's have apretty good idea of what Rontonda is all about since they have a house there.

It would probably be more helpful to give suggestions instead of just disagreeing with a post.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 PM

386 posts, read 1,012,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
I agree with Peter the Brit based on my recent search of Florida neighboorhoods and real estate.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
I agree with Peter the Brit based on my recent search of Florida neighboorhoods and real estate.
Not trying to be obstinate but again, what was the reasoning? Not a good value, didn't like the area, not close to things?

There's no right or wrong answer-just opinions. It helps me to hear different points of view. Just wondering what you're thinking is?

And since you have been researching areas, do you have a really good suggestion and why do you like that area?

I also like the Southside village area in Sarasota but you're generally going to pay twice as much as you would in Rotonda, for the same house. Many of the houses in the Southside area are historical, that appeals to me but probably not to many people.

I think we need a lot more info from the OP to gage which area will be a good fit.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 PM

386 posts, read 1,012,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Not trying to be obstinate but again, what was the reasoning? Not a good value, didn't like the area, not close to things?

There's no right or wrong answer-just opinions. It helps me to hear different points of view. Just wondering what you're thinking is?

And since you have been researching areas, do you have a really good suggestion and why do you like that area?

I also like the Southside village area in Sarasota but you're generally going to pay twice as much as you would in Rotonda, for the same house. Many of the houses in the Southside area are historical, that appeals to me but probably not to many people.

I think we need a lot more info from the OP to gage which area will be a good fit.
2 out of 3 of the first options you mention. Didn't like the area and it seemed not close to things. Sold our home in NJ in April 2010, moved and put our stuff in storage and lived in Cape Coral while we looked at neighborhoods and real estate from Naples to Bradenton and everything in between. Bought a short sale in Heritage Harbour and closed 1 month ago.

Everything is subjective. I think the best thing to do is decide on a temporary base and then explore from there. We changed our mind on places we thought we would like to live once we actually saw the homes, neighborhoods, conveniences (or lack of), etc.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
2 out of 3 of the first options you mention. Didn't like the area and it seemed not close to things. Sold our home in NJ in April 2010, moved and put our stuff in storage and lived in Cape Coral while we looked at neighborhoods and real estate from Naples to Bradenton and everything in between. Bought a short sale in Heritage Harbour and closed 1 month ago.

Everything is subjective. I think the best thing to do is decide on a temporary base and then explore from there. We changed our mind on places we thought we would like to live once we actually saw the homes, neighborhoods, conveniences (or lack of), etc.
Excellent advice and thanks for sharing. I'm assuming you mean Heritage Harbour in Bradenton? So, do you like where you chose? What is it that you like or dislike about it? I know the homes are newer in there, they have a nice golf course, community pool, fitness center, park, playground and fitness center. I believe they also have CDD fees, which some people are Ok with and some people hate. From what I remember the HOA fees are around $160-$1000 quarterly, depending on which neighborhood you're in. It's also close to I-75, which is great for commuters but a bit of a drive from the beach.

Another option might be Palmer Ranch-15 minutes from the beaches, right next to the mall, the huge YMCA with water park, great restaurants close by, most areas are gated for safety. You might want to start looking in VillageWalk, Huntington Pointe, Palisades, Stoneybrook or The Isles.

I think every neighborhood has positives and negatives and if we can express our likes and dislikes it give the posters more to think about.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 10-02-2010 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area