U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 PM

27 posts, read 87,921 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are making an offer on a home on Siesta Key. While the location on water and walking distance to the beach is a dream come true for us, I am a bit concerned if our children 2 and 4 will have many children to play with as they grow up.

We have visited Siesta Key several times and love the area but we are well aware that great vacation locations can be a bit of a hassle for full time residents during high season(we live in a Florida coastal town now) The home we are looking at is south of the Stickley Point bridge which we thought would be less congested than the Siesta Dr bridge during season. I would appreciate all comments
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,310,066 times
My kids have several friends that live on Siesta. They are, of course, older than your kids-12 & 17 years old. I don't know the exact amount of kids but I would say there's a fair amount. When I look in the Pine View student directory I many Siesta addresses.

I like the south Siesta area quite a bit. It eliminates most of the winter traffic being down that far. Not sure where you're buying but The Sanderling is one of my favorite subdivisions down that way.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 AM

879 posts, read 1,813,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
My kids have several friends that live on Siesta. They are, of course, older than your kids-12 & 17 years old. I don't know the exact amount of kids but I would say there's a fair amount. When I look in the Pine View student directory I many Siesta addresses.

as i was leaving pine view this morning i notice one of the bus lists posted was for Siesta Key. But i am new here and have no idea!! If all goes well and we decide to buy a house we want to be closer to the beach so we may look over there (my kids are 7 and 9) and we are in Osprey right now

Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
as i was leaving pine view this morning i notice one of the bus lists posted was for Siesta Key. But i am new here and have no idea!! If all goes well and we decide to buy a house we want to be closer to the beach so we may look over there (my kids are 7 and 9) and we are in Osprey right now
I heard that Pineview has a bus stop on Siesta. I hope our boys can test into Pineview. I am a bit dismayed at the prices of the private schools. I just called Out of Door and can't believe it is $14,000 for Pre K!!! My 4 year old goes to an amazing private school here for $6000 which I thought was a bit high considering its 4 hrs a day. I was expecting maybe $9k but $14k WOW and no sibling discount!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM

879 posts, read 1,813,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidejules View Post
I heard that Pineview has a bus stop on Siesta. I hope our boys can test into Pineview. I am a bit dismayed at the prices of the private schools. I just called Out of Door and can't believe it is $14,000 for Pre K!!! My 4 year old goes to an amazing private school here for $6000 which I thought was a bit high considering its 4 hrs a day. I was expecting maybe $9k but $14k WOW and no sibling discount!
yup, no joke. we moved here from a private gifted school in NY (long island - that's outside NYC) after researching up and down the east coast for a public gifted school. 2 kids in private school since pre-k. This year tuition would have cost me over $30k . I really hope Pine View works out!!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 AM

6,103 posts, read 14,015,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
yup, no joke. we moved here from a private gifted school in NY (long island - that's outside NYC) after researching up and down the east coast for a public gifted school. 2 kids in private school since pre-k. This year tuition would have cost me over $30k . I really hope Pine View works out!!
I'm sure they will do well as long as you stay involved and make sure they pick the right peer group of friends that also want to learn and do well. As long as they have the desire and value for education (which is going to propell them for life) then they can get a great education there. That doesn't mean that there won't be bumps in the road, barriers for you to help them over or charge through - that happens everywhere. I went to both public and one of the best private prep / boarding jacket and tie schools in the country. I wanted that education and got it in both places, and I saw others that just couldn't care less - they were just going through the process and spending the time. So, more than you realize the burden is with the kids and the support and strength of the family and what they instill.

jnanner, I'm impressed with how helpful and supportive you and rushmore, gettingoutajersey, and some of the other newer posters have become!! You guys have really helped solidify and have helped keep this board one of the best on CD.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM

26 posts, read 53,601 times
Hi Seasidejules

My family and I are considering moving to Siesta Key too. We live in the DC area and are ready for a change! We have a 6 and 3 year old. As much as I love Siesta Key, my one concern is not having permanent neighbors and living in an area where there aren't many families.

Please keep us updated on your move, as I would love to hear about your experience, as I prepare for our potential move next summer.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:36 PM

169 posts, read 369,942 times
I love Siesta Key,what a beautiful place to live.

2 Questions.

How quickly can a person evacuate,if a hurricane/bad storm hits?

Also isn't it true all of SK is in a flood zone.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:13 PM

7,511 posts, read 21,310,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
I love Siesta Key,what a beautiful place to live.

2 Questions.

How quickly can a person evacuate,if a hurricane/bad storm hits?

Also isn't it true all of SK is in a flood zone.
Yes, SK is in a flood zone, as many of the barrier islands are. There aren't THAT many people living on the key so I suppose it would get somewhat congested if there was a mandatory evacuation but I don't think it would be too bad. Also it's much more crowed in the winter than in the summer-most hurricanes hit in the summer when it is less populated with tourist and seasonal renters.

Also if you're considering living out on the key you might want to stay north of the north bridge or south of the south bridge. If you're anywhere in between the bridges you're going to get snarled up in traffic on a daily basis in the winter month with the snowbirds making their way to and from the beach. It gets real old, real fast

Old 08-25-2010, 10:09 AM

We didn't get the house we were interested in buying on Siesta Key which is probably a blessing. We've decided to rent for a year to make sure we want to live on the key. I am concerned about the number of children living there full time as well. I haven't found a neighborhood area that really fits all that we want. So any advice would be appreciated.

My husband really wants to be on water. His dream is to have a boat in the backyard. But we also want a family friendly neighborhood with at least some children within walking distance and a good elelmentary school in case our boys are not able to get into Pineview. Of course we think they are brillant

Not sure if it exists for under $600k and even then not sure if it would be a social neighborhood. Our experience has been the higher priced the neighborhood the less social it is. Our neighborhood now is very upscale but I hate it because most people are older and no one socializes. Boring and lonely!!! We definately don't want this again. I'll take nice, fun neighbors over McMansion anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area