Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanner View Post
yeah, you can't rely on that. nice if it could happen though. i left my parents who i am very close with and my only brother, his wife and my 2 year old niece up north. My husband's brother, wife and 3 year old are there too. My niece asks for her cousins all the time We had very solid reasons for trying to make this move work. Fl to NY is not a hard trip, onle a few hours to fly but even with $79 fares I am asking my parents to spend $400 to visit me. And there are 4 of us so $800 round trip to fly to them. So, no i won't see them as much as i like and yes, this thread has made me weepy. But we are doing our best for our kids and hopefully it all works. We are renting a house btw
That's expensive. I fly home to NYC every few years to visit family. But each year there are less family members to visit. The younger members have scattered all over the country and the old ones are passing away. None ended up here in TN.

Some people are very fortunate and their family does move where they go. I had an aquaintenance here (may she RIP) who moved down when her husband was transferred from NY. Within a few years her mother, then her sister moved down with her young nephew. The nephew now has 6 children. Her whole family ended up here. But most people I know here who moved down are still alone.

That's one fear we have about moving to FL. We fear one of us will be left alone in due time. Being elderly and without family nearby is kind of scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
I would like some input from those of you that have left family members behind when you moved to Florida. I know, alot of people say, "don't worry, they will follow you". I don't buy that. I know that they will visit, but it won't be the same seeing my parents or my kids once or twice a year.
You're right there. Don't buy it. I thought that when i moved down to Florida everyone would want to come visit. After all it's Florida. Not so in my case. It was ok for a few years with them coming to visit a couple times and us going up to visit a few times, but theres a whole lotta difference between having a conversation across the table and having a conversation on the telephone. I wouldn't expect my kids to move down here. They would never get ahead. We're headed back soon.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
You're right there. Don't buy it. I thought that when i moved down to Florida everyone would want to come visit. After all it's Florida. Not so in my case. It was ok for a few years with them coming to visit a couple times and us going up to visit a few times, but theres a whole lotta difference between having a conversation across the table and having a conversation on the telephone. I wouldn't expect my kids to move down here. They would never get ahead. We're headed back soon.
You went from saying that your friends and family have not visited as often as you would have thought, to saying that your kids will "never get ahead here," to saying that you're leaving.

Your kids would be destined for failure and you are moving away because your friends and family didn't visit as often as you had originally hoped?

Or is there more to this story?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM

My kids never lived here. They were young when i moved to Fla. They came down to visit a few times but as they grew older and started to raise familys it isnt as easy to visit. I wouldnt expect the to leave the good jobs ect that they have up there to move down here is what i meant. It would be hard for them to get ahead down here. You see it all the time.

Last edited by Ken E; 08-25-2010 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Default Not selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
My son and his SO were very discouraged when they did some research on jobs in the Bradenton/Sara area these past few months. They're having serious second thoughts about following us there.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM

You can always convret that 2 car garage into living quarters for the kids. Thats quite common. I do alo of work in attics and sometimes the only access to the attic is in the garage.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM

136 posts, read 161,736 times
Leaving family and friends behind is definitely tough. I moved out West from the Northeast as a younger guy because I was in search of the "endless summer" beach lifestyle. It has been 20 something years now. No one has followed me. In the early years after the move I got consistent visitors but no so much as time has gone by. Putting distance between you and your family & friends, if you are close, will have a dramatic impact on your life. Counting on people to follow you is not a good idea. I'm as close to my family and old friends as possible given the distance, but the difference is huge.

There are those of us in this world who choose year-round warm weather and that lifestyle over living close to family and old friends. There is no right or wrong, but that is pretty much the choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area