U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,922,340 times

Advertisements

I find it odd that no one on this board knows which areas to avoid in Sarasota. We all known what high-crime areas are. We all know what welfare and drug areas are. Is everyone here a RE Agent who can't tell what they know?

Also, it seems that most posters here are young and have families. Where are all the retirees?
Rate this post positively

Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 AM

473 posts, read 1,111,606 times
lol well I will say the north end of town on 41 seems like a shady area.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,815,525 times
Here's something I found on the Sheriffs Dept website: Crime Mapping

You might also want to check out the booking records:
Arrest Reports

I'm sure someone else will come along and give more specific answers.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:15 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,792,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I find it odd that no one on this board knows which areas to avoid in Sarasota. We all known what high-crime areas are. We all know what welfare and drug areas are. Is everyone here a RE Agent who can't tell what they know?

Also, it seems that most posters here are young and have families. Where are all the retirees?
Real Estate agents are afraid that they would get fined or lose their licenses if they said an area is bad. They could be accused of discrimination or prejudice.

All the retirees are in Venice and Wrinklewood...I mean Englewood. Bad and not so good areas (that I would not live in Sarasota)...

Newtown, Vamo, Janie Poe, Bayou Oaks, Amaryllis Park, New College area (North Trail), Whitfield, North Sarasota, Kensington Park, Lake Sarasota, Yoderville (Sarasota Springs), Paver Park, Alta Vista.

Btw...drugs are everywhere down here. There's at least one drug addict in every subdivision, even the million dollar ones. I know of a junkie who lives on Manasota Key beach and her house is worth at least $5.5 million. Oxy, Meth, Coke and all perscription drugs are abused and available easily. It's a big problem in our area.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 AM

16,712 posts, read 36,209,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
All the retirees are in Venice and Wrinklewood...I mean Englewood. Bad and not so good areas (that I would not live in Sarasota)...

Newtown, Vamo, Janie Poe, Bayou Oaks, Amaryllis Park, New College area (North Trail), Whitfield, North Sarasota, Kensington Park, Lake Sarasota, Yoderville (Sarasota Springs), Paver Park, Alta Vista.

Btw...drugs are everywhere down here. There's at least one drug addict in every subdivision, even the million dollar ones. I know of a junkie who lives on Manasota Key beach and her house is worth at least $5.5 million. Oxy, Meth, Coke and all perscription drugs are abused and available easily. It's a big problem in our area.
MMM, no not Whitfield. I love it here - been here two years and have the loveliest neighbors one could have. No more crime here than Gulf Gate or South Gate.

Anyway, in a nutshell, the worst part of Sarasota are the neighborhoods within the following boundaries. North of Fruitville, west of 301 , east of 41 and south of University Parkway. The three main neighborhoods there are Gillespie Park, Newtown and Bayou Oaks.

That said, there can be scattered crime in any neighborhood in this city, things can and do happen, even in so-called safe "gated" communities.

Hope this helps!

ETA: The retirees aren't posting on this board! LOL I am a young retiree, though....

Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,792,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
MMM, no not Whitfield. I love it here - been here two years and have the loveliest neighbors one could have. No more crime here than Gulf Gate or South Gate.
I wouldn't like to live in the industrial area in Whitfield, but thats just my opinion...as I posted.

Yesterday, I included Crime Mapping in another post. I believe SoFLGal reposted it here earlier. At least it gives some ideas of good and bad areas.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM

16,712 posts, read 36,209,871 times
Quote:
I wouldn't like to live in the industrial area in Whitfield, but thats just my opinion...as I posted.

Yesterday, I included Crime Mapping in another post. I believe SoFLGal reposted it here earlier. At least it gives some ideas of good and bad areas.
I did not realize you were referring to the industrial area on Whitfield, thought you meant Whitfield Estates.

Sadly, problems are everywhere, I still believe the most dangerous parts of Sarasota are within the boundaries I listed.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
lol well I will say the north end of town on 41 seems like a shady area.
I need to find a good online map of Sarasota Co. to get a better idea of the north end. According to the crime map only the eastern edge of the city, in the flood surge area, is more or less crime free or low-crime. As for the county itself... all along the ocean, in the flood surge area, the crime is high. But it doesn't say what areas or neighborhoods they are. It's just icons on a map.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Talking Bingo! The bounderies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Anyway, in a nutshell, the worst part of Sarasota are the neighborhoods within the following boundaries. North of Fruitville, west of 301 , east of 41 and south of University Parkway. The three main neighborhoods there are Gillespie Park, Newtown and Bayou Oaks.

ETA: The retirees aren't posting on this board! LOL I am a young retiree, though....
BINGO!!!!!!!!! The above is what I needed. Those boundaries will help tremendously when we get there. Thank you.

I can see retirees aren't on here. I wonder why since it's mainly us oldsters moving down there.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Real Estate agents are afraid that they would get fined or lose their licenses if they said an area is bad. They could be accused of discrimination or prejudice.

This info is helpful. As for druggies. I meant those neighborhoods going to seed with a dealer on every corner, a nodded out junkie in every doorway and hookers crawling over them both looking for business once the sun goes down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area