U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 PM

151 posts, read 532,255 times

Advertisements

I have noticed the price of food in Florida is a lot higher than the price in Washington....not that I expected it to all be the same. I am hoping for advice on where to get fresh seafood at a reasonable price. So far publix, super target and Albertsons are pretty spendy when it comes to the meat and seafood departments. Are there fish and seafood vendors in Sarasota anyone could recommend? I am still trying to adapt to the price changes and obviously still haven't accepted it yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,527,764 times
My friend in Bradenton claims food is cheaper there than in Sarasota - restaurants also. You may want to run up there and check out a few of the stores.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 PM

20 posts, read 36,508 times
Do you think the government should grow food to help reduce the costs of growing food?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 PM

151 posts, read 532,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grow up greener View Post
Do you think the government should grow food to help reduce the costs of growing food?

Thank you the advice, I will be sure to check that place out.

Anyway, I wish I had received a better response from the regulars so maybe I should re-phrase. I notice the grocery stores have a limited selection of seafoods and fresh meats and they tend to be high in price (at least more than I am used to in from the Pacific NW) and I understand that may just be the way it is. What I am looking for are fish markets or shopping venues with more selection than the local grocery store. I was told there is a fish market someplace near the airport?
I have become familiar with Detwilers and love the large selection, thank you to whomever it was that mentioned it.
Sarasota-Bradenton are a lot more spread out than I am used to and there are A LOT of shopping complexes and I am finding it hard to remember where I see most places as I drive past them so suggestions from locals would be great.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 PM

166 posts, read 564,693 times
What kind of fish are you looking for? Of course fish from the northwest is a lot more expensive. Its not like you are going to find snapper up there though

Captain Brian's is probably the one you are referring to near the airport. Â* Restaurants - Sarasota, FL - Captain Brian's Seafood Market And Restaurant . To be honest, I don't really know anyone who's been there. Most people I know catch their own

Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,460,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atroxanautin View Post
What kind of fish are you looking for? Of course fish from the northwest is a lot more expensive. Its not like you are going to find snapper up there though

Captain Brian's is probably the one you are referring to near the airport. Â* Restaurants - Sarasota, FL - Captain Brian's Seafood Market And Restaurant . To be honest, I don't really know anyone who's been there. Most people I know catch their own
I love Capt Brian's! I've never gotten their seafood from the fish market but their prepared blackened grouper sandwich is fantastic.

Come on 222muchcoffee back me up on this one if you're on here

Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 AM

16,342 posts, read 35,153,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelagardner View Post
Thank you the advice, I will be sure to check that place out.

Anyway, I wish I had received a better response from the regulars so maybe I should re-phrase. I notice the grocery stores have a limited selection of seafoods and fresh meats and they tend to be high in price (at least more than I am used to in from the Pacific NW) and I understand that may just be the way it is. What I am looking for are fish markets or shopping venues with more selection than the local grocery store. I was told there is a fish market someplace near the airport?
I have become familiar with Detwilers and love the large selection, thank you to whomever it was that mentioned it.
Sarasota-Bradenton are a lot more spread out than I am used to and there are A LOT of shopping complexes and I am finding it hard to remember where I see most places as I drive past them so suggestions from locals would be great.
I am probably the one who mentioned Detwilers - they have two locations - the larger one is the best on Fruitville and Packinghouse, but I usually go to the small one near me on Whitfield Ave.

Captain Brian's is the seafood place by the airport. Theirs is usually fresh and local, but really I don't consider any seafood place "cheap." The days of cheap seafood are long over, at least around here.

Bottom line, there are a lot of shopping options around, and I agree that Bradenton and north Sarasota has better low-cost places to shop. Bradenton just opened an Aldi which has the lowest prices in town, great for those who hate Walmart. I haven't gone there yet, though. I have learned to spread my shopping out among several stores, easy to do because they are fairly clustered. I love Super Target - they have great prices on items and a wonderful high quality house brand "Archer Farms." Their generic brand "Market Pantry" is not bad either for just plain staple items and they are really cheap. I also discovered that Sweetbay has a lot of great organic items cheaper than anywhere else.

Just start shopping around, you should be able to reduce your costs. There are a lot of markets on University Parkway, so if you get up that way it is really easy to go store to store for sales and such. You have Super Target, Fresh Market, Richard's Whole Foods, Publix and Albertson's all up that way.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask more specific questions if you have them.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 AM

913 posts, read 2,215,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I love Capt Brian's! I've never gotten their seafood from the fish market but their prepared blackened grouper sandwich is fantastic.

Come on 222muchcoffee back me up on this one if you're on here

Everyone I talked with said their grouper sandwich is the best around. It was OK. I like the beer battered grouper sandwich at Casey Key Fish House better.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 AM

7,511 posts, read 21,460,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Everyone I talked with said their grouper sandwich is the best around. It was OK. I like the beer battered grouper sandwich at Casey Key Fish House better.
Casey Key FH is pretty good too. I've never tried the beer battered grouper there though. I'll have to try it next time I'm up that way.

I just pulled up some reviews on Capt Brian's and they're all over the board. Some give raving reviews and some say it's awful. Interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area