Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 AM

11 posts, read 27,827 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to the Sarasota area and would like an area that has community activities, fitness center, bike path, pool, etc with not alot of children. Looking for a single-family house with pool and view in the $350-500K range, 2500 sf+. I know no one, so a friendly area would be preferred. Suggestions? Also, for golf/country clubs, I'm having a very difficult time finding out the membership fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 06:18 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Ideas for golfing communities in your price range:

Bent Tree
Country Club of Sarasota
Lakewood Ranch Country Club
Laurel Oaks Estates
Misty Creek
Prestancia
Seranoa

Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,794 times
Check out The Meadows, near University. Three golf courses, a nice country club, decent fitness and 17 tennis courts(3 pros). Not too many kids since the feeder schools aren't great. Very nice walking and fitness trails. Only neg is the homes were built in the '80s and '90s but many have been renovated.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Check out The Meadows, near University. Three golf courses, a nice country club, decent fitness and 17 tennis courts(3 pros). Not too many kids since the feeder schools aren't great. Very nice walking and fitness trails. Only neg is the homes were built in the '80s and '90s but many have been renovated.
Good advice. I would also add Palm-Aire at University and Whitfield. Another nice older community, but beautiful with all the amenities you asked for, and homes in your price range. It is in the midst of the booming University Parkway shopping/dining district which is wonderful.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 AM

51 posts, read 88,306 times
Hi artp, I love the area. I stayed in Riverwook in Port Charlotte which is not too far away from Sarasota and loved the community. Centex homes, many newer ones and some still being built along the Myakka River. About 17 different communities on site. Fab golf course, 6 or 7 Tennis courts and on site pro who organizes leagues and drills. Great fitness center and pool. Very friendly people. Very attractively priced in all sort of price ranges.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:32 AM

Thanks, that looks like a nice location.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 AM

I was originally thinking about Port Charlotte since it was mentioned in Money Magazine as one of the best places to retire, but in reading the city-data thread on it, sounds like many are unhappy there, no doctors, hospitals, nice restaurants, shopping, etc. Several recommended Sarasota. I am going to be in Punta Gorda for a week in December (first time to the area) and plan to look around. Thanks for your response!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artp View Post
I was originally thinking about Port Charlotte since it was mentioned in Money Magazine as one of the best places to retire, but in reading the city-data thread on it, sounds like many are unhappy there, no doctors, hospitals, nice restaurants, shopping, etc. Several recommended Sarasota. I am going to be in Punta Gorda for a week in December (first time to the area) and plan to look around. Thanks for your response!
Riverwood is actually in Charlotte county but it's closer to Sarasota than most areas of Port Charlotte.

As far as doctors/hospitals go, I would stick to Sarasota county. There are some decent restaurants in Port Charlotte/Charlotte county. Many of them are in Punta Gorda. Port Charlotte does have a fairly large mall with decent shopping.

If I had to pick between Sarasota and Charlotte counties, my personal choice would be Sarasota county. Better medical care, schools, libraries, shopping, restaurants, etc. I'm not saying PC isn't nice, I just prefer Sarasota county. Of course this is just my opinion...

Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM

51 posts, read 88,306 times
Riverwood is in Charlotte county and the prices of homes is lower. We were thinking that we could take advantage of Sarasota life style since it its close by without paying quite as much for the home and taxes. Being close to good medical care is an important consideration though so we rethink that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area