Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM

169 posts, read 396,441 times

Advertisements

Any different suggestions for tomorrow.(no children)

Think we have done all the local attractions. Selby,Disney( love Disney/go all the time),Universal,Seaworld,Jungle Gardens Local,Beaches, Mansion at Ringling Bros,State Parks near by. Venice,Solomons Castle.Mantee Players,Golden Apple theatre, Boat Tours Sarasota Bay,Parasailing.

What are we missing,that is about 1 1/2hr -2hrs away from Out East in Bradenton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 PM

65 posts, read 354,503 times
Exclamation Kayak or Canoe, Get On The Water!

Floridaa, I don't see canoeing or kayaking on your list of been there done that. I have done both on numerous occasions around the Tampa Bay area and several rivers inland. Having tried them both, I prefer kayaks in a big way.

I would suggest getting in touch with a local outfitter and see about getting some paddles wet! Here are some websites I found with a quick Google search:

Kayak Eco Tours in Sarasota Florida

Sarasota Kayak and Canoe Trails

Kayaka Sarasota with Biotica EcoTours

Kayaking Sarasota

I can't say enough good things about kayaking. Here in Florida, it's a kayaking paradise. There are so many opportunities to see all manner of wildlife while paddling, even manatees sometimes!! Very exciting to see it all, and very relaxing to experience the kayak perspective.

Good luck with it all.

Dunedin Daily Photo
Clearwater Daily Photo
Clearwater Beach Daily Photo

Old 09-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Thank-you.

You are right,Kayaking it is this w/end.

btw/Has anyone ever gone to Fisherman's Village? I think it is a about 1+ 1/2hr ride from East Bradenton. Is it worth it?

Have a good w/end everyone.

Always trying to do things different over the w/ends.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:10 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaa View Post
Thank-you.

You are right,Kayaking it is this w/end.

btw/Has anyone ever gone to Fisherman's Village? I think it is a about 1+ 1/2hr ride from East Bradenton. Is it worth it?

Have a good w/end everyone.

Always trying to do things different over the w/ends.
You have a pretty good list going. The only other place I would suggest is Babcock Wilderness Adventures. Fisherman's Village is Ok. There are a few shops and restaurants. I think they have a Farmers Market on Weds. You might want to do a dolphin tour or sunset cruise out of there.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Thanks SFlorida Gal,will keep it in mind. You didn't seem to enthused with Faihermans Market.Maybe not worth the trip to there but will try the Babcock one.

Heading out the door to Kayak after some lunch to Sarasota..

Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Quote:
Thanks SFlorida Gal,will keep it in mind. You didn't seem to enthused with Faihermans Market.Maybe not worth the trip to there but will try the Babcock one.

It's OK. Here's a link that tells about it: Punta Gorda's Waterfront Mall, Yacht Basin and Marina in Punta Gorda, Florida It's not all that exciting, IMO.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
Quote:

FV is worth seeing if you are in town, but to travel all that way just for FV? I would put it off, again until you are up here for some other reason that you can pare with it. There are some nice restaurants, and plenty of nice shops, and it is on a pier that runs out to the harbor. SoFLGal mentioned that they have a dining cruise, so you could set something up like that to go with the tour of FV.

Kayaking - that is a lot of fun, and like someone else suggested you can see all kinds of cool natural things, birds, fish, and other wild life.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,545 times
Being in Bradenton you are pretty close to Pinellas County.

There is the Pier at St. Pete.
At Madeira Beach there is John's Pass and a bird sanctuary (free).
At Clearwater Beach there is the pier. Make sure go at sunset. They have street performers and such. Kinda like a family version of Key West. In Largo there is the Florida Botanical Gardens (free). A bit further up the road is Tarpon Springs. I love Tarpon Springs, it reminds of old Florida. There is also Fort Desoto on the southern end and Caladesi Island on the northern end of the county.

Last edited by davery5872; 09-21-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Being in Bradenton you are pretty close to Pinellas County.

There is the Pier at St. Pete.
At Madeira Beach there is John's Pass and a bird sanctuary (free).
At Clearwater Beach there is the pier. Make sure go at sunset. They have street performers and such. Kinda like a family version of Key West. In Largo there is the Florida Botanical Gardens (free). A bit further up the road is Tarpon Springs. I love Tarpon Springs, it reminds of old Florida. There is also Fort Desoto on the southern end and Caladesi Island on the northern end of the county.
I haven't been in years, but Sunken Gardens is in St. Pete, along with several art museums if you're into that sort of thing.

Also Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I haven't been in years, but Sunken Gardens is in St. Pete, along with several art museums if you're into that sort of thing.

Also Busch Gardens in Tampa.

That's true. I was thinking of free things. And I forgot about the Don Pedro. We go and walk around a bit. A little boring for kids, though.

Non-free things-
There is the Dali museum and Sunken Gardens. There are also a couple of pirate cruises. I don't know if there is still a gambling boat or not. Tampa Aquarium is also pretty nice. Lowery Park Zoo is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area