Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:49 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
When I get a knock on the door, I always wonder if I should open it. I mean, maybe a child from down the block is selling Girl Scout cookies or one of my neighbors is stopping by to say hello. I live on a quiet, residential street with almost no traffic. Half of my neighbors are retirees and some of them left in May for the summer.

My door bell just rang and I kept yelling "Hello. Who's there, please?" I sometimes don't hear anyone, so I wonder if my voice doesn't carry, but it's very frustrating. There was no vehicle in sight, and I kept calling out "Who is it?" When I opened the door, it was a man taking a survey about the water quality (probably trying to sell a water purification system) I just said that I'm only here temporarily and not the owner, which is true.

The reason I'm posting today is that, after the man left, I began to think about this story on last night's local news. Who would ever worry about opening the door at 9 on a Sunday morning, yet this poor woman was brutally attacked.

Does living in a nice area mean that I'm safe? How do you feel about answering the door when a stranger rings the bell?
I'm not being snotty but isn't it COMMON SENSE to look outside your (locked) door (wherever that may be) before you open it ? If you aren't expecting someone you personally know, you ask for a phone # and ID to confirm identitiy before allowing access. I suggest you google home and personal security and heed some tips. It's really nothing to get upset about. Just use COMMON SENSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
I don't think that 76 year old woman who was brutally raped in North Port mentioned in the OP, gives a rats patutti if crime has decreased. Her world is shattered and there isn't anything that's going to make her feel truly safe again.
I hope my last post didn't sound flippant. I'm a victim of a violent crime, although it wasn't in my home. I would never joke about something so tragic.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:58 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,920,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I hope my last post didn't sound flippant. I'm a victim of a violent crime, although it wasn't in my home. I would never joke about something so tragic.
Oh gosh no, it wasn't directed at you at all.
My point was that for all the statistics that are thrown around, the victims of crime couldn't care. I am still thinking about that woman in North Port who could be a grandma to me...and I think how horrific it must be to her. I'm still not over the senseless brutality of it all.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:30 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
I don't think that 76 year old woman who was brutally raped in North Port mentioned in the OP, gives a rats patutti if crime has decreased. Her world is shattered and there isn't anything that's going to make her feel truly safe again.
The question was "do you feel safe."

Part of JustNancy's post had to deal with her feeling apprehensive after watching a news story.

MY comment was that the media plays a large role in sensationalizing crime, and it makes you feel like your world is "unsafe" even if you SHOULD, technically, feel safer than you did before in general.

The crime WAS awful and senseless, and it shocks the conscious and a community when things like that occur. However, whether or not the 76 year old woman "cares" if crime has gone down is irrelevant, because the discussion is not really about her, but the rest of us who react to stories about crimes such as the one she suffered.

This is a very interesting article:

FBI: violent crime down, but people don't feel safer
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...2s04-usju.html

Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
i believe one of the big reasons there is not more violent crime especially home invasions is due to the huge numbers of legal gun owners here in florida. just read an nra report that gave the stats of gun ownership and the decrease in crime. with the high unemployement here in florida and the drug abuse, especially prescription pain killers, the bad guys don't know which door that they kick in is going to be the unlucky one for them.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,246 times
We too, don't feel "safe" in our little neighborhood any longer. The real estate bust has definately changed the type of people moving in. We just found a helpful website that allows us to see who's been arrested on a map. we use the sex offender site too. the arrest site is arrestmaps dot com and I think everyone knows how to see the sexual offender site by now.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,474 times
When you have seconds to spare, the cops are just minutes away.

Florida led the nation in rational "shall issue" concealed carry legislation which dramatically reduced the robberies that were killing the tourist industry at the time. The whole country took notice at the drop in crime and many states have copied FL's law.

I believe you only need an easily obtained permit to purchase a pistol for the home. Firearms license info for Sarasota County FL can be found here: Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Don't be a victim.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Saturday morning I was home alone, well except for the toy poodle, and the doorbell rang. Luckily for me I can look out my front window and kind of see the front step without them seeing me. It was two nicely dressed men with leaflets in their hands. I immediately assumed Jehovah's Witness, so I tried to shush the dog while hiding in the living room until they gave up and went away. I found out later when I picked up their leaftlets out of my door that they were actually from a nearby Lutheran church trying to drum up business, but reading this thread now made me think. I wonder if the Jehovah's have trouble getting people to answer the door because they don't want to talk to THEM, or because people are more leery of opening the door to ANYONE these days...

Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM

165 posts, read 336,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynd View Post
We too, don't feel "safe" in our little neighborhood any longer. The real estate bust has definately changed the type of people moving in. We just found a helpful website that allows us to see who's been arrested on a map. we use the sex offender site too. the arrest site is arrestmaps dot com and I think everyone knows how to see the sexual offender site by now.
I'm not familiar with the sexual offender website. How do I access it?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggytoad View Post
I'm not familiar with the sexual offender website. How do I access it?
FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area